2014 Tundra MD2S + goodies retrofit **TONS OF PICTURES**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Tundra MD2S + goodies retrofit **TONS OF PICTURES**

A customer of mine brought in his 2014 Tundra, which has been full blacked out except for his headlights. He showed me a picture of the same headlights blacked out and retrofitted with apollo 2.0 shrouds and halos behind the shroud, I used this as reference for my retro. The headlights have electronic levelers controlled from inside the truck which still work with the projectors which is pretty cool.

What I used:

-Morimoto Mini D2S 3.0 O LENS projectors
    -Morimoto 3Five D2S 6000k bulbs
    -Morimoto 3Five DSP D2S ballasts
    -Morimoto Apollo 2.0 shrouds
    -Morimoto 100mm White xbaLED halo rings
    -Morimoto H4 Bi-xenon relay harness
    -RONA rust primer & matte black spray paint
    -OCI butyl rubber sealing glue

Overall install time was around 9 hours, mostly waiting for paint to dry (should have split the install into 2 days)

Onto the pictures:

The truck before retro

Factory halogen output

Headlights removed, turned out to be perma-seal which I wasn't too happy about

Going into the oven, baked at 230 for 7 mins per bake, had to put each headlight in about 6 times

A lot of swearing and burnt fingers later (and about 3 hours)

OEM reflector housing

Shaved down the back

The reference photo had some custom design on the side markers which I attempted to replicate

A couple layers of primer

Good thing about summer weather is I can leave the painted parts out in the sun and they dry super fast

Fitting the halos onto the shrouds

Putting it all together now

Testing the halos

Mock fit

Here you can see the custom design for the side market (metall gryll behind the holes, dummy screws in each corner)

Testing the projector output

Re-seal

Relay box & ballast mounting

Completed headlight

Ran into a major problem here, the side marker rubs up against the side of the reflector housing when using the electronic leveling which caused some paint to chip off

Some night shots

I'll be bringing the truck back in sometime to re-paint the spots where the paint chipped off and try to figure out how to get around the problem. But damn the MD2S looked great on the road when I drove the truck around the block.

Really clean retro!

I've been liking what Toyota has been doing with the subtle LEDs on the new tundras headlights

Comment

Wow that retrofit is EXACTLY what that truck needed! As sad as I was to see you black out the LED reflectors, those headlights definitely needed a full black out lol. Love that flat black!

Comment

Good job
        Originally posted by gold94corolla
        it gets you all the b*tches

Comment

Looks amazing!

Comment

Very nice work! Clean!

Comment

nice job!

Comment

Beautifully clean.

Comment

Beautiful job!!

Find my company: http://www.Facebook.com/InSightRetrofits

Comment

wow that looks great!

Comment

Why the 4 screws, holes and mesh for the side marker though. Is that for pure cosmetics?

Comment

Posted it on facebook. Great work!

2015 Ford Party ST | 2013 Triumph Street Triple | Dr. LS460R: 227 built to date!

Comment

Looks fantastic Op! That flat black really grows on me for my current build. I absolutely love the side marker design, may be inspiration to design something for mine now!
                          Sinister by R1NZLER, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
                            Wow that retrofit is EXACTLY what that truck needed! As sad as I was to see you black out the LED reflectors, those headlights definitely needed a full black out lol. Love that flat black!
                            Yeah, I told him painting the led reflectors would affect the output, but he was going for the looks. They're still very visible but are definitely overpowered by the xbaLED halos

Originally posted by TRSAndrew View Post
                            Posted it on facebook. Great work!
                            Sweet, thanks Andrew!!

Originally posted by Nuvolari View Post
                            Why the 4 screws, holes and mesh for the side marker though. Is that for pure cosmetics?
                            Yes, it was purely for cosmetic looks... the holes I drilled also let the side marker light shine through directly since the paint would prevent the light from being visible. Honestly I thought the screws were overkill and should have tried to convince the guy not to have them there... then I wouldn't have run into the paint chip issue lol.

Originally posted by RINZLER View Post
                            Looks fantastic Op! That flat black really grows on me for my current build. I absolutely love the side marker design, may be inspiration to design something for mine now!
                            Thanks, the original design he showed me involved a metal plate being placed over the amber piece with matching holes and a nice visible bezel around the holes. He couldn't find any shops to make the metal piece though and I didn't have the tools for it
                            Last edited by sevenism; June 10th, 2014, 02:13 PM.

Comment

wow, awesome job!

any pictures of how that the side marker with the light inside it on??

Comment

Working...
                              X