Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Honda CBR 929RR - (First Retro!)

Hey!

I've been a long time lurker of HID retro fits and every since I bought my bike (1.5 yrs ago) I've wanted to mod the lights. I read every retro I could find before getting rolling on mine ... if you have any questions about wiring or fitment etc .... please feel free to ask!!

My overall plan is to do all the lighting including the tail (LED array) but right now I'm going to start on the front and go from there!

For you Picture *****s out there ... you're in luck! I love taking pics of what I'm working on!!

Here she is!

I went back and forth with The Retrofit Source about options and measurements etc and landed on doing 3 H1 minis with gattling gun shrouds, 2 amber LED rings (integrated with signal lights), and 1 white LED ring for the center. (TRS did an amazing job coordinating with me! I have no complaints!! they made me a custom little wiring harness for the highbeams!)

I am going to Paint the Reflector flat black and the shrouds flat white (with VHT paint of course!!) to follow the theme of the bike: black/white with red accents and no chrome.

unfortunately the order was miss handled at TRS and they shipped me A) some of the wrong items B) one of the H1 minis was cracked .....

As you can see here there is a D2S projector (instead of H1 mini), an apollo shroud (instead of a gattling gun), they also sent me 2 white rings and one amber (instead of the other way around)

heres the Cracked H1 mini

We've since sorted it out and I've shipped back the damaged / incorrect items and they will be sending me the right stuff (hopefully hahaha) .... Luckly I have time before the good riding weather starts!! (otherwise I'll be putting a flashlight in the front end and going anyhow!!)

SO!
    Step #1: tear down the front.

Step #2: open up the light. I went heat gun method since ..... well ..... I got caught by my girlfriend trying to put a headlight in the oven hahahaha. I worked great .... very very easy, just start heating .... putty knife .... keep the heat moving ... shove a spacer in when you get a gap going and the whole thing came off in about 10 or 15 min!

Step #3:Fit that Shit!!!

you can see here that its hitting on both sides

Cut and fit .... and Cut and Fit ..... more cutting and more fitting later I fit the lens on to see if it fits and it is perfect!!!! I was expecting to have to trim the shrouds etc.

Heres what the end cut looks like .... time to get the JB weld out!!

Backer tape .... and the first layer

Who else always ends up using the package and the palate!? hahaha

Thats all I got done on the weekend ... all I need to do now is shape the JB weld to be even on both sides. shoot it with paint and assemble the lights .... but I have to wait for TRS to ship me the rest of my items ...

Question: How close is too close for the Lens to be from my housing? I have 5k bulbs .... any chance of it melting?

Questions / comments / criticism is always well received!!! please judge me! its the first Retro I've done!!

Good luck on the project.

5k is just the color temperature and does not correlate to actual housing temperatures. I've seen lenses within 1/8" of the housing and be fine. As long as it clears and doesn't actually rest on it you should be fine.

Originally posted by cthunder
    The more you mod your car the moodier it gets.
    Avalon Dual Lens | Rogue LED | Mori 3800K | Mori 3Five | H11 PnP LED

Comment

some advice, you may want to reinforce the jb weld. while strong, when used over a large surface area by itself, it's somewhat flexible/brittle. you'll get much better results by adding a backing layer of fiberglass. if you prefer to stay away from fiberglass, i would use a another layer of jb weld with drywall mesh.

here's a waive from a fellow cyclist
      My Retrofits:
      Classic Mini HID Retrofit #2 (January 2012 ROTM)
      Classic Mini LED Retrofit
      Lance Venice HID Retrofit
      Honda Grom HID Retrofit (May 2014 ROTM)

Comment

3 projectors... brilliant!!!

Comment

Cant wait for more post!

2000 Mustang Gt-SOLD RX350's Osram, Morimoto 5five ballast
          2006 GSXR-G37 Projector,XbaLed halos,Morimoto 3five,Morimoto 4300k
          2000 Ford Expedition-FX-R1.0s,Morimoto4300k,Morimoto 3five

Comment

Originally posted by Fstrsn View Post
            5k is just the color temperature and does not correlate to actual housing temperatures. I've seen lenses within 1/8" of the housing and be fine. As long as it clears and doesn't actually rest on it you should be fine.
            Perfect! Thanks! Repped!!

Originally posted by pwr2wh8 View Post
            some advice, you may want to reinforce the jb weld. while strong, when used over a large surface area by itself, it's somewhat flexible/brittle. you'll get much better results by adding a backing layer of fiberglass. if you prefer to stay away from fiberglass, i would use a another layer of jb weld with drywall mesh.
            Yup I've already peeled the backer tape off and I'm planning on using something like that from the back!

Originally posted by sportyaccordy View Post
            3 projectors... brilliant!!!
            Yeah! the only HID mod I've seen on these bikes is a 2 projector Mod .... I thought it looked a little unfinished.

Originally posted by stockd15b View Post
            Cant wait for more post!
            Hopefully I'll be able to get back in the shop this weekend. Plus I gota wait for TRS to ship back my correct stuff.

Comment

Great choice for a beginner retro! I started with the mh1 then got hooked on Retro's lol are the all gonna be on or are you going to have 2 on for lows and 3 for hi? It'd be cool if you could angle the outer ones a few degrees out to get a lil bit more width. Either way I can't wait to see the ending product!

Comment

3 projectors... i like it.

personally i woulda gone with an FXR in the middle with angled mini h1's on the two sides. but this setup will still rock!

Originally posted by 901kingj View Post
                It'd be cool if you could angle the outer ones a few degrees out to get a lil bit more width.!
                i think ive started something
                Octa projectors, eight OEM bulbs, ~30,000lm , and 169 degrees of driving heaven!

Comment

Great choice for a beginner retro! I started with the mh1 then got hooked on Retro's lol are the all gonna be on or are you going to have 2 on for lows and 3 for hi? It'd be cool if you could angle the outer ones a few degrees out to get a lil bit more width. Either way I can't wait to see the ending product!
                  Thanks! Its turning out really cool! Im hooked for sure .... I'm building a resto-rod out of a '69 chrysler Imperial also and I think I'm going to have to mod it too!! hahahahah

to get a wider angle - Can I just put some washers on 2 of the screws to angle/turn the lens out to the side? or do I need to angle the whole projector at the base?

Wiring wise I'm not 100% sure yet. what I'm thinking right now is all 3 on for low with the white ring in the middle lit up ... and the ambers integrated with the signal lights. and then all 3 on for high beam with the ring turned off.

I may change it up and have the 2 outside on for "low" with the middle dark and the white ring lit up ..... then for high keep the outside 2 on "low beam" and only the center comes on "high"

Originally posted by michael.kozera View Post
                  3 projectors... i like it.

personally i woulda gone with an FXR in the middle with angled mini h1's on the two sides. but this setup will still rock!
                  Thanks! I like odd numbers integrated into stuff!

I thought about either a DS2 or a FXR in the middle ... but I wanted 3 consistent sized lens going across (along with the same shrouds)

Comment

Originally posted by Side_Show View Post

I thought about either a DS2 or a FXR in the middle ... but I wanted 3 consistent sized lens going across (along with the same shrouds)
                    FXR comes in both 3" and 2.5" lens and the mini h1 is 2.5" lens.

i fit mini h1 shrouds over an FXR, just need to do alittle cutting.

the outer angled projector is a mini h1, and the two inner ones are FXR's. all 6 are using mini h1 Gatling shrouds. so its totally doable.

DSC_0085.jpg
                    car 010.jpg
                    Octa projectors, eight OEM bulbs, ~30,000lm , and 169 degrees of driving heaven!

Comment

Originally posted by Side_Show View Post
                      Thanks! Its turning out really cool! Im hooked for sure .... I'm building a resto-rod out of a '69 chrysler Imperial also and I think I'm going to have to mod it too!! hahahahah

to get a wider angle - Can I just put some washers on 2 of the screws to angle/turn the lens out to the side? or do I need to angle the whole projector at the base?

Thanks! I like odd numbers integrated into stuff!

If you do change up go with the FXr its definitely wider than the mini. like not even in the same league wide. as far as aftermarket projectors go. and yea to angle outwards you'd have to turn the whole projector like Kozera^^^^^^ the mini's are good for str8 ahead. but as far as width they almost don't have much. which is what started my craving for more WIDE!! lol. from the MH1 to what I'm doing now you'd understand

Comment

Stick with the MH1s for the side lights....

Comment

If you do change up go with the FXr its definitely wider than the mini. like not even in the same league wide. as far as aftermarket projectors go.
                          FXR 2.5" lens and mini h1 are the same width. the FXR is simply a better projector as it has better light distribution then the mini.

as seen below.
                          fxr 2.5 vs 3 009.jpg

Comment

word of advice, if not already done, double check available power to ensure you have proper power to run (3) ballasts and still maintain enough voltage to charge your battery and run other electronics. also, if not already in the works, consider using a timer delayed or voltage sensing relay if you want to the maintain the oem function the headlights. it's best to power the ballasts after your bike is running to reduce startup load on your battery. if you prefer to manually control of the headlights, a switch to a standard relay will work fine. you just have to remember to turn you lights on/off.
                            My Retrofits:
                            Classic Mini HID Retrofit #2 (January 2012 ROTM)
                            Classic Mini LED Retrofit
                            Lance Venice HID Retrofit
                            Honda Grom HID Retrofit (May 2014 ROTM)

Comment

word of advice, if not already done, double check available power to ensure you have proper power to run (3) ballasts and still maintain enough voltage to charge your battery and run other electronics
                              this is not very important as most bikes have a 400w+ stator

3X35w=105w

it's best to power the ballasts after your bike is running to reduce startup load on your battery. if you prefer to manually control of the headlights, a switch to a standard relay will work fine. you just have to remember to turn you lights on/off.
                              this however is very important, most bikes have a small battery and its very easy to strain them on start up. doing the above is highly recommended.

Comment

Working...
                              X