06 Sierra MMH1 6.0 Retro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 06 Sierra MMH1 6.0 Retro

Finished this up a while ago but figured I'd post up a build thread.

What I started with was Eagle Eye clear Denali headlights. Love the all clear look because my truck is white but the output with a pnp 35w 5K 9006 kit was less than I wanted.

So disassembly began.

A buddy made some plates for the MMH1 6.0.

All fitted and ready to see how the output is.

Not bad but could be better.

I wanted to get rid of the squirrel boxes so a little tuning needed to be done.

Threw it all back together and now we are getting somewhere.

Something needs to be done about the cutoff though. One washer between the lens holder and cutoff plate seemed to do the trick.

Moved on to the side and finished both of them up, now time to run the relay. I wanted to extend the life of the bulbs so I decided to get a voltage sensing relay from JatronX. It doesn't activate until it sees 13.5V so the headlights won't flash when you start it during the dark.

Now time for final output pics.

Last edited by BOO5TED; April 5th, 2014, 10:41 AM.
    ***MH1 Retro***
    "America has three cities, New York, San Francisco and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland."
    - Tennessee Williams

Now that is complete I decided to "upgrade" the other lighting on the truck. GM uses a 3157 bulb for the DRLs in the same housing as the turn signal/running lights. You can see it here.

I wanted to use that bulb as a turn signal/running light instead so the entire housing was a signal. So I changed the two wire socket to a three wire and connected it to the stock socket.

With that done, I wanted to still have DRLs so I had the idea of using the high beam spot as the DRL. I didn't really need the high beam anymore because of the bi-xenons so I purchased some led 9005 bulbs.

Next up is fogs, wanting to get some matchboxes and new housings.
    Last edited by BOO5TED; January 5th, 2014, 12:16 PM.
    ***MH1 Retro***
    "America has three cities, New York, San Francisco and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland."
    - Tennessee Williams

Comment

Originally posted by BOO5TED View Post

Now time for final output pics.

These pics are pretty ^^^

Nice build!

Comment

Thanks bud.

Oh and in before BVC comes in with his shitty projectors/shitty output nonsense.

Last edited by BOO5TED; January 5th, 2014, 03:36 PM.
        ***MH1 Retro***
        - Tennessee Williams

Comment

BVC only says that because he had 5.0 Minis. The 6.0s are very good, only down side is the bulbs.

And I like that relay, seems like a good idea
          ** Please use the reputation system by clicking the on a helpful post **

Comment

very nice build, i like the before and after.
            Octa projectors, eight OEM bulbs, ~30,000lm , and 169 degrees of driving heaven!

Comment

Looking good! this is the reason why I'm ditching my pilot and trying to get a GM for my next car.
              No one interest to make any aftermarket part for any part of the Pilot.
              The plate mounting is a great idea, looks like you got a good friend there.
              I like your truck! nice and clean, I always like white cars.

How much is the light output different from the PNP?

08 Honda Pilot | RX330-AFS + TSX-R, Curve Shield | Osram CBI | Hella Gen 3 | DIY Bosch Relay Harness | X5 LED Fog | SuperFlux DRL

** Please use the reputation system by clicking the on a helpful post

Comment

Thanks, yeah he's a really good friend. He made some plates for these headlights a few years ago for the 4.0s. I had a set then also. I wanted to upgrade to the 6.0s and he told me he would cut them. I just needed to get him some measurements and to fine tune them a bit.

These are before and after, same wall @ 25'. The width and intensity from stock is amazing. Sooooo much better now.

I see you're in N.O., I'm originally from the westbank and lived in Slidell too. Moved up here to ATL about eight months ago.
                Last edited by BOO5TED; January 5th, 2014, 04:17 PM.
                ***MH1 Retro***
                - Tennessee Williams

Comment

Very nice. Like the truck a lot to. If only my headlights were that easy to retrofit.

2005 Dodge Magnum R/T
                  Headlight Setup: MH1 7.0 xb35 5500k bulbs acme ballasts MGG
                  Performance: 5.7 Hemi MDS, W5A580 Muffler delete, K&N Intake
                  Appearance: SRT8 Challenger Wheels
                  Check out my tuning page on Facebook!-------> https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rapid...62482277210221

Comment

I'm assuming you can do these same mods to the projector for the D2S to get that cutoff as well? I've seen people do something similar to that on the D2S. Looks really nice!

Comment

Originally posted by BOO5TED View Post

Thanks.

These are before and after, same wall @ 25'. The width and intensity from stock is amazing. Sooooo much better now.

I see you're in N.O., I'm originally from the westbank and lived in Slidell too. Moved up here to ATL about eight months ago.
                      I saw the pictures, but I though both pic was taken with different camera and settings.
                      So I rather ask for your real impression.
                      Would of be nice if you still down in NOLA, we could of work something together. hahaha
                      What scared you away from NOLA?

08 Honda Pilot | RX330-AFS + TSX-R, Curve Shield | Osram CBI | Hella Gen 3 | DIY Bosch Relay Harness | X5 LED Fog | SuperFlux DRL

** Please use the reputation system by clicking the on a helpful post

Comment

Originally posted by Sw07tC View Post
                        What scared you away from NOLA?
                        Nothing scared me away, company my wife works for offered her a promotion and for what they were offering she couldn't pass it up.
                        ***MH1 Retro***
                        - Tennessee Williams

Comment

Looks great! Great attention to detail. The relay is a good idea too.

Those things have nooooo distance. Good color band tho

Comment

@OP. Nice build

Originally posted by TDavis View Post
                            I'm assuming you can do these same mods to the projector for the D2S to get that cutoff as well? I've seen people do something similar to that on the D2S. Looks really nice!
                            If you're referring to the spread of the colorband, you'd need to replace the flat shield with a curved one so more of the sides remain at the same relative focal length as the center. Modifying the spacer can only work to a point without a curved shield. Below is an example on a generic halogen projector (lit up by a halogen H1 bulb), where I played with the shield location. The step gets quite some color, but moving the shield-to-lens relative position further blurs the focus.

Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Originally posted by BrokenVisaCard View Post
                              Those things have nooooo distance. Good color band tho
                              Output is leaps and bounds ahead of what the stock output was, far from shitty IMO. I see no point is putting down what projectors people use because you don't like them. That would be like me telling you that you got a pussy car, you bought a ford why didn't you buy the GT instead? Or a Porsche, or Lambo, or a Ferrari, or a Bugatti?
                              ***MH1 Retro***
                              - Tennessee Williams

Comment

Working...
                              X