2003 Mazda Protege5 ES350 AFS Projector Retrofit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 Mazda Protege5 ES350 AFS Projector Retrofit

Well I have been off and on and MIA for a while not having as much time as I would have liked to do or finish any of the projects I have been wanting to do but the bug bit me once again and I have started with this one with some short time I have. This is going a lot quicker after really analyzing and thinking things out before jumping in. just in case for the ones that didn't know, I know for some time I have been wanting and always commenting on missing my 01 Protege Sedan every time someone posted a Protege so in November of 2012 I sold the GSR ( as I needed too to pay some bills also ) and bought an 03 Protege5 for a price I could not pass up on. It wasn't a sedan but at the time I had a sedan I really wanted a hatch and this time seemed as good as any to get one. Come to now...... I have my Protege5.

I was getting stumped on how to center an ES350 correctly on the reflector until I found a center point for it and went from there. I finally finished mounting the driver side on the reflector for now. Later down the road I am going to come up with a way to be able and adjust the three axis much easier for a smoother install into the reflector assemblies. Since I have them out I may do it now, IDK. I just donít want it to take up too much of my family time.

So far the progress I have on it. Still deciding on what I want to do before I seal them up ....... I have E30 clear lens in them for now and stock shields. Still debating on what to do to/with them. I'll update with more pictures when I can. I will also be doing another retro for my brother as well when I finish with these.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by DarkAngel; December 6th, 2013, 03:00 PM.
    06 Regal Blue / Silver Subaru Impreza Outback Sport SE <-- Back-up Ride ( Tweaked STI HID Projectors)
    03 Classic Red Mazda Protege 5 <-- My DD ( HiD rEtRo “Still” In PrOgReSs )

I have a feeling that this is gonna turn out great, looking interesting so far!

Comment

Thanks. I hope it at least turns out decent and with a level cutoff. I will be testing them before I seal them but I am confident they are aligned with the reflector. I had started the initial cutting and fitting last year LOL. This was just a thought two days ago and got back on it after taking out all my HID stuff just to see what I had so that I could categorize and label the boxes with what contents were inside. I guess I figured it was time I needed some HID goodness for my car.
      06 Regal Blue / Silver Subaru Impreza Outback Sport SE <-- Back-up Ride ( Tweaked STI HID Projectors)

Comment

Oh man, I just realized I have 300Z clear lens in them and not E30 lens. Also messed up on the projector description, they are ES350 projectors LOL. Although the 300Z lens are okay I may get something else for these. Going to make custom shields for these as well so this should be interesting. Never really got into the RX/ES 300/350 projectors as much as greenkouki did but I see there are a lot of posts here on what he has done with them so I should be okay.

Comment

Looks great. Nice work on cutting the centered opening. Did you use a hole saw?

I'm curious about the ribbed lens-like "shroud". That doesn't seem to be an mp5 part.
          Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

I've always been a fan of the bmw clear shrouds. For clear lenses I recommend black series for TRS

*I will be unavailable for projector modding and retrofits until further notice*

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
              Looks great. Nice work on cutting the centered opening. Did you use a hole saw?

I'm curious about the ribbed lens-like "shroud". That doesn't seem to be an mp5 part.
              No hole saw, just a steady hand with the dremel. greenkouki answered the shroud inquiry right below lol.

Originally posted by greenkouki View Post
              I've always been a fan of the bmw clear shrouds. For clear lenses I recommend black series for TRS
              I too also love these shrouds. I may do a demon eye glow with the shroud...... maybe........ but I just love the look of the clear shroud/lens looks. I had to remove the chrome ring in the center of the shroud to fit over the projector though. I am debating on the red on the lens holder. May just leave them silver or attempt to polish them to a shine. I don't think I am going to stick to that red. The chrome shroud of the headlight will be stripped, scuffed and painted black.

As far as the lens goes, the black series for TRS is what I have been reading so far that many have gone with and you have suggested so I will go with them. Not going to go against your judgment on these as you have been the one to really test and perfect these projectors. I still remember when it all was starting with these and no one even wanted the NON-AFS and look what they can do now. I even remember wanting to turn my extra set of AFS I had into BI-Xenon with an Old Valdeo D1S set I still have now.
              Last edited by DarkAngel; December 6th, 2013, 02:54 PM.

Comment

^
                I see. I didn't realize the ribbed lens part and the more traditional looking "shroud" are actually a single piece.

Comment

Yeah the black series are my favorite aftermarket lenses for rx type projectors. e30 win hands down for color though (see my sig)

*I will be unavailable for projector modding and retrofits until further notice*

Comment

Originally posted by greenkouki View Post
                    Yeah the black series are my favorite aftermarket lenses for rx type projectors. e30 win hands down for color though (see my sig)
                    Yea no doubt on the E30's. I thought I had them in there until removed the lens holder and really looked at the lens...... no edges. I do only have one E30 though with hard water damage/stain from a while ago lol. I must have left the E30's I had in the Integra Retro I did when I sold it.

Originally posted by satrya View Post
                    ^
                    I see. I didn't realize the ribbed lens part and the more traditional looking "shroud" are actually a single piece.
                    Here is the other shroud in its entirety before I cut the side tabs off and remove the center chrome ring ( one tab above is broken though ).

Last edited by DarkAngel; December 6th, 2013, 03:18 PM.

Comment

^
                      Thanks for the pics. I always assumed that it was a part of the BMW's housing lens, and not a separable shroud.

Comment

No problem. Any pics anyone needs I have no problem providing as long as the project is not closed up or item/retro is not in my possession any longer ( obviously LOL ).

Comment

Man how threads get buried.....

Well I have been on and off on this thinking how I was going to retro the ES350 Projectors when a week ago I broke one of the oem reflectors. Aflter gluing the reflector together I came to the conclusion that I would have to make some other type of bracket to mount the projectors. The bracket I have come up with fits perfectly, aligns the projectors correctly and can be aimed with the stock adjustment screws. One can also mount any projector one so desires as long as they can make it fit inside the reflector and housing.

I will upload pictures as soon as I have the chance.

Comment

Update to the retrofit.....

Finally got the final design of the mounting plate/bracket to ease the instalation of the ES350 AFS projectors. Just waiting for the run of the plate/brackets to be made to finsih off the headlights once and for all. Here are pictures of the finished template. Final design was already digitized for production. Final design also has different hardware as well.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkAngel View Post

Here is the other shroud in its entirety before I cut the side tabs off and remove the center chrome ring ( one tab above is broken though ).

where can I find those ?

Comment

Working...
                              X