• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '00 Jetta TDI evo retrofit

Started by baking the lenses off..

Compare stock to the EvoX-R.

Dremel lots of the housing out..

Test fit for clearance. Ignore the lens...

Painted the housings gunmetal, cut the lower blank out to do dual signals

The finish on my Apollo 2.0's were pretty rough close up so I painted them to match. I liked the chrome though

I love the 2 step light ring from the shroud/where I had to cut

I had black lips inside the headlight, but they were in rough shape and my gunmetal ones were pristine, was a fan of the black though.

A thin but pretty pronounced colour band in the Evo's. I really like it, the edges are blue while the step is purple.

mmm purple

Finished product

Needed to refinish the lenses .. Never ending

Showing the stray light from the shrouds. I love it.

Refinished the lenses this afternoon - bit of a difference..

So that's about it. Literally every single thing that can go wrong has gone wrong with this project. I started last year and almost scrapped the idea completely - and then got caught up doing other peoples retros and kept putting mine on the back burner.. Figured I had to finish it if I was going to sell them to others so I hammered it out, overall I'm really happy with the outcome, it totally changed the look of the front of the car and the output is fantastic - the highs are craaaaaaaaaazzyy.

Evo X-R projectors
    50w Morimoto ballasts
    50w 5000k Morimoto D2S bulbs
    9007 harness from TRS
    Apollo 2.0 shrouds
    Dual signals w/ clear lenses

very nice clean retro. you could have used a better camera tho.....
    Octa projectors, eight OEM bulbs, ~30,000lm , and 169 degrees of driving heaven!

Comment

How did you do the roll alignment? With the e55r mounted but not glued yet?
      Just curious.
      Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by michael.kozera View Post
        very nice clean retro. you could have used a better camera tho.....
        I leave my D300 inside so it doesn't get bombarded with dust. My cell phone does a fine enough job haha. I'll shoot the car/output with a real camera so I can enter the November ROTM. Thanks for the props though.
        Originally posted by satrya View Post
        How did you do the roll alignment? With the e55r mounted but not glued yet?
        Just curious.
        Rotation I think you're talking about? I leveled my work bench, drew a level line on the wall across the garage, and rotated the projector by hand 'till it was level. Used a little ball of steel stick epoxy in 2-3 places. Once it was cool I went around the entire projector and 2 part and steel stick'd the whole thing. I turned a computer power supply into a bench based ballast tester so I didn't have to have the lights in the car for that part. The drivers side rotation is a degree or two off because it sagged a little during assembly, the projector was too hot for the epoxy to grab well... By the time I checked again the epoxy had cured. I'll re-do the whole setup one day with something different, but for the time being the slightly off rotation isn't bad at all and is barely noticeable.

Comment

^
          Yes. Rotation. Thx. I stay away from that common term because roll, yaw, and pitch alignment are all rotation to me.

I wasn't sure if you used that method because the halogen output seem rather fuzzy to be used as a reference. Good guesstimating then on your part.
          Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

The housing is level on the bottom. I only used the hot spot from the stock reflector as a reference for where to position the projector to give me the closest to stock positioning. . This was so I could adjust as much as possible. Problem was the projectors were so large and not smooth like an fxr or mini so I was limited to where the projector could physically sit. . As it is they are pretty close to stock orientation but I would still like to do another retro for kicks. . Perhaps quads this time.

Comment

Nicely done! You know, you coulda painted the gunmetal bezels black ....

Comment

The lip? or the whole housing? The lip I have a black version of but it needed to be repainted and I was already contemplating taking a sledge hammer to the whole retro at that point and wasn't willing to repaint. It might be in the cards if I swap shrouds though. I'm thinking Apollo 3.0 with an amber XBa ring inside.. Not sure if I want that much amber (I really do, but it means another hole to drill, another wire splice, just moooooore work..) but we'll see.

If you meant the whole housing I also have a black housing around but I think it looked "too black" - I wanted it to be dark without it being black if that makes sense.. I would lose a lot of the details in the housing with black and I really like the lines and details in the Jetta headlight..

Comment

I like the contrast of the black reflector and chrome housing. I think every retro needs a little chrome. It looks good. Pretty much looks exactly how I would have done it.

Comment

I like the double turn signals a lot, nice work!

Comment

Nice work!

Lol we should have an ontario retrofit meet next year

Comment

Haha yeah I'll just cruise down the 16 hours.. No biggy. Actually, I'll be in Toronto in the summer for Tough Mudder - it was my plan to drive down but the wife thinks we should fly..... we'll see who wins.

Comment

Lol just realized you're in Thunder Bay ... nvm

oooh Tough Mudder! yeah looks fun I see it on the news after it happens, looks intense!

Comment

I'm going to do a warrior dash and zombie apocalypse first to prepare - I'm pretty sure I'll die, especially in southern Ontario with the smog and heat of summer..

Your Nissan is sick looking btw - great job!

Comment

Originally posted by exist View Post
                              I'm going to do a warrior dash and zombie apocalypse first to prepare - I'm pretty sure I'll die, especially in southern Ontario with the smog and heat of summer..

Your Nissan is sick looking btw - great job!
                              Haha it's not too bad you can still breathe!

Thanks, your jetta looks awesome too. The front end looks beast after the retro

Comment

Working...
                              X