X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '06 Hawkeye Subaru.

Hello Everyone.

This is my first retrofit.

I bought a set of Morimoto Bi-Xenon H1 6.0 for another Subaru, but decided to fit them into my Hawkeye and so began my Quad-Xenon Project.

It was not such a difficult install - even though it was my first time. Maybe I got off lightly.
    The Projector was used in place of the 9006 OEM halogen bulb.

Back of Housing:

Without lenses:

With Lenses:

The BIGGEST issue was that I had to cut out a decent amount of the 'cosmetic' bit of the front side of the light. The Morimoto shroud was a TOUCH to wide. But with a lot of pretty careful trimming, I got a good result.

I spent a lot of time polishing up the front lenses. But Im battling to get rid of what look like is a spider web of cracks in certain spots of the clear lens. I am not sure if i can get rid of it? It looks pretty deep.

Will upload some more pictures when the lights are on the car.

Cheers for now,
    Jared
    Last edited by jareds; October 2nd, 2013, 08:07 AM.

Nice install. Any pics on the car?

Usually the spider webs are cracks in the lens and can not be removed.

Comment

D2s OEM halogen?
      AAAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Originally posted by Gachrid View Post
        Nice install. Any pics on the car?

Usually the spider webs are cracks in the lens and can not be removed.
        Thanks!
        None on the car yet. When they are installed Ill definitely take a couple more pics.
        Luckily I can utilise the OEM lights for a reference point. I bench tested the OEM vs the Mirimoto's. the horizontals lines are pretty much identical, and the little 'Z' in the beam also matches up pretty well. Im happy!

Thats a pity! Makes the light look so tacky. Will keep an eye out for a replacement front end and will swop out at a later date.

Comment

Originally posted by mdufficy View Post
          D2s OEM halogen?
          Dont know what I was thinking!
          They were 9006's! Sorry.
          (Edited in main post...)

Comment

So, the original low beam position is still the oem halogen low beam?

Regarding the spider web cracks on the lens; maybe you can find a pair of used oem or aftermarket set to transplant.
            Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
              So, the original low beam position is still the oem halogen low beam?

Regarding the spider web cracks on the lens; maybe you can find a pair of used oem or aftermarket set to transplant.
              Sort of right.
              The original Low beams are still there, and they still utilise their OEM Xenon light source.
              Ive added the H1 6.0's mainly for a different look, with the added bonus of having daylight on the roads at night!

Yeah, gonna have to keep a careful eye out for donor LHS head light! They arent cheap if in good usable order!

Comment

I see. The downside to this configuration is that unless the Mini H1 is on all the time, you lose flash-to-pass functionality.

I have a quad setup on my bugeye wrx (only running both pairs for a few seconds when I switch from one pair to another during warmup time), which means I lose halogen high beams. Flash-to-pass is one thing I miss.

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
                  I see. The downside to this configuration is that unless the Mini H1 is on all the time, you lose flash-to-pass functionality.

I have a quad setup on my bugeye wrx (only running both pairs for a few seconds when I switch from one pair to another during warmup time), which means I lose halogen high beams. Flash-to-pass is one thing I miss.
                  WEll, seeing as the Morimoto H1's are Bi-xenon, i still have the flash capability.

Comment

I meant not having flash-to-pass unless the low beams are on.

With almost any ballast, the warmup time of the bulb is most likely too slow to be considered adequate for flash-to-pass function imho.

Comment

I need some help here.

One thing I havent really thought about until now, is how I seal this from dust / water ingress.....

Any ideas?

Comment

What's the diameter of the tan colored oem piece (where the oem halogen bulb used to mount to)?

If it is around 2.5", you can use a cap like this one below, make a hole on the bottom so the 2 wires of the bulb go out, and insert the cap onto the jutting part of the tan colored piece.

In your case, you wouldn't be making a hole at the center like I do below, but the concept that the cap mounts to the back like so is similar:

I got mine from a brick&mortar version of this online store:
                        http://www.tapplastics.com/product/p...s_tubes_shapes
                        Scroll down to "Plastic Tubes & Tubing". They come in different sizes. The brick&mortar stores sell polyethylene caps in black (what I got); for some reason, I can only find the red one in that site today.

Another thing I would do is to reroute the 2 solenoid wires to go via a small cutout from the pleated rubber boot, but from the bottom. Then, caulk or seal the hole with the solenoid wire already in there. (note: this is not the back of the same headlight I referred to above of course; but is much closer to your setting)

Comment

any pics of it on the car?

Comment

Originally posted by dunkman23 View Post
                            any pics of it on the car?
                            Question to OP or to me? If it is the latter, those are pictures of my suggestions, although the cap solution in my case has the opening at the center of the flat portion of the cap for the D2S connector, while what I suggested for OP's H1 bulb is an opening at the cylinder portion of the cap, facing down.

Comment

i was asking the OP. but looking at ur bugeye ... man that looks clean.
                              i helped my buddy run Mini D2S on the Blobeyes and it came out good.
                              i havent seen many of the hawkeye conversions here. but im sure theres many

Comment

Working...
                              X