Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ImagioX1
    replied
    Dont think Ive ever posted in this thread but I check in every now and then. Quite an interesting project I must say. Everytime I see more pics they are looking better and better!!

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Gaps filled. It needs a few more thin layers.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by romanster View Post
    MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) works even faster than acetone apparently, it's another reactant to ABS. I bought a jug at the hardware store, but haven't tried to make goop with it.
    Thanks

The brick & mortar store where I bought my acetone also sells MEK. These might also be available for online order:
    http://www.tapplastics.com/product/f...ek_solvent_/33

Leave a comment:

• romanster
    replied
    That will do. I got a piece of ABS pipe and drilled it with a large bit to make shavings. I mixed mine in a small travel-sized sqeeze bottle, so I could dispense it like glue. Keep the jar closed, open it up now and again to stir it up. The consistency will depend on the ratio of shavings to acetone, keep mixing shavings in if it's too runny.

MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) works even faster than acetone apparently, it's another reactant to ABS. I bought a jug at the hardware store, but haven't tried to make goop with it.

Leave a comment:

• csjoh
    replied
    I doubt there's any left after the jar's been through the dishwasher at 60 degrees C

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by csjoh View Post
    I've got numerous jars with metal caps from the kitchen that can be used. Since I won't be mixing much to start with, I'm thinking a 150ml jar that used to contain tomato paste will be perfect.
    Maybe the lycopene from the leftover tomato paste will help

Leave a comment:

• csjoh
    replied
    I've got numerous jars with metal caps from the kitchen that can be used. Since I won't be mixing much to start with, I'm thinking a 150ml jar that used to contain tomato paste will be perfect.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    I'd find a jar that can be closed, as my experiment with a small bit of ABS pipe shaving suggest that it takes a while for it to soften.

Leave a comment:

• csjoh
    replied
    I'll have to give it a shot. The dragon bought a 1L can of Acetone for removing her fingernail polish, only to find out it didn't work properly, so it sits largely unused on a shelf. I also have lots of excess ABS plastic from my headlight housing build, so mixing up a small amount wouldn't take much.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    That acetone abs mix, that's just pieces/shavings of excess abs plastic dissolved in acetone?
    I believe so. It doesn't seem to dissolve as fast as those polystyrene spheres though (the one that clumps together to form protective package for many electronics gadgets before they're replaced by origami cardboard structures).

Leave a comment:

• csjoh
    replied
    Originally posted by romanster View Post
    Man I looked for that black ABS cement here in canada and came up empty, even looked for it at home depot whenever I'm in the states and it's like they don't carry the black version anymore. The formulation has actual ABS dissolved into it, so it's a more sturdy goop than the regular yellow ABS cement.

For building up and bridging gaps, aluminum screen mesh works great as a structural backer, just as it does for plastic welding. Back the mesh with tape for the first layer so it doesn't just run through. A benefit of the ABS cement resin mix is that each application layer doesn't disturb the previous layer as much as a pure acetone-abs mix would. If it's being painted, a skim coat of bondo should seal it from reacting with the paint; my white grille showed a yellow tinge in areas where I had done repairs with the yellow abs cement and shavings. The body shop simply repainted it a second time, and it was perfect.

I gave myself one hell of a headache plastic welding my housings back together, learned my lesson for next time.

csjoh, you can use the acetone abs mix for a good and solid bond between close-fitting pieces of abs; rough up the edges and brush it on, once the acetone dries all that's left is abs, so it will have more plastic-like properties compared to the black abs cement.
    Thanks for the tip. That acetone abs mix, that's just pieces/shavings of excess abs plastic dissolved in acetone?

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    ^
    Thanks for the tip.

I haven't looked for that ABS cement for a while, so I didn't realize that it isn't readily available in many places.

Leave a comment:

• romanster
    replied
    Man I looked for that black ABS cement here in canada and came up empty, even looked for it at home depot whenever I'm in the states and it's like they don't carry the black version anymore. The formulation has actual ABS dissolved into it, so it's a more sturdy goop than the regular yellow ABS cement.

For building up and bridging gaps, aluminum screen mesh works great as a structural backer, just as it does for plastic welding. Back the mesh with tape for the first layer so it doesn't just run through. A benefit of the ABS cement resin mix is that each application layer doesn't disturb the previous layer as much as a pure acetone-abs mix would. If it's being painted, a skim coat of bondo should seal it from reacting with the paint; my white grille showed a yellow tinge in areas where I had done repairs with the yellow abs cement and shavings. The body shop simply repainted it a second time, and it was perfect.

I gave myself one hell of a headache plastic welding my housings back together, learned my lesson for next time.

csjoh, you can use the acetone abs mix for a good and solid bond between close-fitting pieces of abs; rough up the edges and brush it on, once the acetone dries all that's left is abs, so it will have more plastic-like properties compared to the black abs cement.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Filling gaps with ABS cement

Currently, there are some gaps on several areas:

The first order of business is to use tape to define where areas that need extension / filling are:

Then, ABS cement is applied on any visible backside of the tape (i.e. the sticky side of the blue tape):

Afterwards, I treat this like a fiberglass or paper-mache principle; the ABS cement is the resin, and the strips of paper is the fibrous sheet. Brush some resin on the surface, add fibrous sheet, brush some more resin. Let dry. Repeat again until a good balance of stiffness & thickness is achieved.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    That's kinda extreme as well, so for joining two pieces of plastic together in, say, a headlight housing, I think it should do nicely.
    For joining to panels together, it may make sense to add layers of material in addition to just the ABS cement. That way, something else can handle the tensile and shear stresses.

The plastic welding works well, but the fumes that are released when plastic melts just seep into everything and doesn't seem to want to move back out; hence I'm looking for an alternative.
    Indeed. Those particulates float in the air and seem to stick to fabric etc. for a long time. You'd need an exhaust hood right above where you work and probably a semi enclosure to minimize the particulates from sticking to surrounding objects.

I found the variant you use on eBay, and while the product wasn't too expensive, shipping it over here was killer. I'll try to source it locally first before spending $15 on product and $40 on shipping...
    I would think ABS cement for joining ABS pipes should be available anywhere; perhaps under different brand names. Fwiw, this one was in the plumbing area, and was intended to join ABS pipes of lawn sprinkler systems and home plumbing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X