7" retrofit (GDAA WRX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^
    It may or may not be. My goal is a pair of Micro DE + something else. The Junyan projector is a bit heavy. I wonder if it's worth it.
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

A better comparison pictures of the partially covered reflector bowl

Here's a set of pictures that better represent the effect of partially covering the reflector bowl (namely the area immediately below the H1 halogen bulb). Same location, just waited for nightfall.

First, the output as is while the camera is set to automatic.

Next, the same output, underexposed. (ISO:200; f/3.5; 1/200 sec.)

And then, adding the cover, same camera setting. (ISO:200; f/3.5; 1/200 sec.)

Looks like I didn't put the low beam shield quite right after placing the lower reflector bowl cover; note the hotspot is off the step. That's irrelevant but does make the output look different.

Comment

For ease of comparison...

To help make a better comparison, I rotated both images, and mirror flipped the one on the left so the cutoff and objects on the wall are on the same "side". No other image processing adjustments were made (e.g. contrast, etc.) of course.

Any thoughts?

For reference, here's how the cover look like as seen from a top opening on the lens frame. The blue tape cover sits just below the H1 bulb plane.

Comment

looks like all that did was eliminate the hotspot entirely lol

Comment

I think the hotspot is gone because the shield wasn't re mounted properly. In the previous test I did in daytime, the hotspot remained when the blue tape covers the bottom half of the reflector. The beam pattern away from the hotspot seem hard to discern though.

Comment

Lens to lens offset clearance test (Micro DE's 1.75" vs 2.5&quot

The lens frame of the generic Junyan projector has a convenient opening on one side. A quick test using this opening shows that it provides a good first estimate of the amount of overlap between the Micro DE and the 2.5" lens. If the frame opening is enlarged further forward, the interference would be such that the 2.5" lens is just barely touching the Micro DE's housing. Any more, and either the Micro DE's housing or the 2.5" lens needs to be trimmed/ground down.

Side view:

Top view:

This angle shows the opening in the 2.5" lens' frame; conveniently about the right shape and size to "dock" onto the Micro DE's housing. It's almost like it was designed for this to begin with.

Comment

Don't you love when little things like that just kinda work out.

Originally posted by cthunder
                The more you mod your car the moodier it gets.
                Avalon Dual Lens | Rogue LED | Mori 3800K | Mori 3Five | H11 PnP LED

Comment

It could also be a false sense of hope that masks a big hurdle to come.

Oh well, hope for the best, anticipate the worst.

One thing to figure out is how to properly trim the reflector bowl without compromising the surface quality. I'm not sure if using a metal saw is the right thing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
                    It could also be a false sense of hope that masks a big hurdle to come.

Oh well, hope for the best, anticipate the worst.

One thing to figure out is how to properly trim the reflector bowl without compromising the surface quality. I'm not sure if using a metal saw is the right thing to do.
                    Dremel on low speed is how I trimmed my hydrodipped shrouds without making the finish bubble and peel.

Originally posted by cthunder
                    The more you mod your car the moodier it gets.
                    Avalon Dual Lens | Rogue LED | Mori 3800K | Mori 3Five | H11 PnP LED

Comment

I'd recommend a well lubricated cutting disc.

99 Dodge Durango SLT SelecTrac (NV242) 4WD 5.2L Magnum V8 Build Thread
                      FX-R Retrofit - Picture Thread

2014 Dodge Charger R/T Awd

Comment

Sounds good. I guess I can't consider using my (manual) metal saw then. Would be nice if I have access to a cnc; that way the lubrication can flow as I cut.

Maybe a wet drum sander could do it (in terms of using whatever few tool I have). It might be similar to using a Dremel.

Comment

When I cut my shrouds I used a cutting disc on a bench grinder that went through a pool of water just to keep it cool, but for metal oil would be best. You could probably get away with using the dremel as long as you don't keep it in the same spot for too long, i.e. go back and forth with the dremel, that way the heat isn't building up in just one spot.

Comment

Amount of reflector bowl that may need cutting

The reflector bowl is tilted 90 degrees (yaw) to show where the bulb and bowl is relative to the interfering dimensions of the Micro DE. Trimming the reflector bowl to the effect of the blue tape mock up would clear the bowl from the Micro DE.

Comment

Originally posted by that_guy318 View Post
                              When I cut my shrouds I used a cutting disc on a bench grinder that went through a pool of water just to keep it cool, but for metal oil would be best. You could probably get away with using the dremel as long as you don't keep it in the same spot for too long, i.e. go back and forth with the dremel, that way the heat isn't building up in just one spot.
                              I guess I can use a cutting disc. One thing I'm not sure of is whether any metal chips that manage to get to the reflector bowl surface can be cleaned without compromising the bowl surface. In my previous retrofits, when I need to modify the reflector bowl flange, all I needed to do was tape off both sides of the bowl opening. I don't think that method can protect the bowl surface as well in this case.

Comment

You could tape off the part of the bowl that is staying to protect it some. Afterwards I'd use compressed air to remove any remaining materials.

Comment

Working...
                                X