X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• csjoh
    replied
    Looks good!

I liked the idea of extending it "through" the fog light cover and have it come out pointier on the inside, but at the same time it doesn't look quite right... maybe try extending it to the edge of the "mouth" in the bumper?

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Driver's side vent extensions

Working on the driver's side now.

Setting up alignment lines with blue tape:

Cut, and add tape to mark where the extension lands on the fog trim:

Tape a prototype on the fog trim, to help mark where and how the extension should be attached:

Attached:

Both sides with extension; the driver's side extensions are not visible from this angle, but they're there.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Testing an idea on extending the extension to the other side...

I have a generic adhesive backed decoration that has a slightly sharper cross sectional shape. Here it is marked for cutting.

If the OE vent is extended beyond the two extension pieces already added on the fog trim, it would probably show up on the other end like so:

Here's how it might look from a pedestrian several feet away.

A lower vantage point:

The idea is that as the OE vent shape is extended further, the flat surface becomes smaller, and by the time it shows up on the other side of the fog trim, the flat surface has dissapeared, resulting in this sharper shape.

Maybe keeping the cross section the same is better.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Cross section of extension piece

Here's a picture of the cross section of the extension piece; showing how the flattening of the top has squared off the initially U-shaped channel:

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Tweaked the first extension on the passenger side to better match the pitch angle of the OE vent, and mounted the 2nd extension. This time, instead of cutting a notch, I decided to just join the extension to the trim directly by heat. The advantage is that the fog trim's structural integrity isn't compromised by having notches.

Test fit:

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    First attempt. The idea is to cut a notch on the fog trim, insert the extension piece, and join it together by heat.

Marking the notch; lift one of the prototypes up and trace where the extension will meet the trim:

Cut. Carefully. (cut resistant gloves just in case)

Heat-joined. This will need some more finishing work to make it nice and smooth, but the joint seems strong enough.

Looks like this when the fog trim is mounted on the bumper cover. It'll need some more work to align the extension shape to the existing OE vents. This takes a lot more time than I'd anticipated. (most DIYs do)

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Prototyping vent extensions

The previous generation Impreza (GC/GF/GM platform) had vent-opening-like shapes wrapped around the bumper cover's corners (22b version as shown below with one of the openings filled with amber corner parking lights, courtesy of https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bestan...za_22B_STi.jpg). The GD/GG version carries a bit of that feature in the form of 3 opening shapes, which doesn't extend all the way to the front side. It seems like the GD could use something almost as long as that of the GC/GF/GM version.

Time to prototype the vent extensions (i.e. extending the vent shapes from the OE bumper cover to the fog trim piece). I eyeballed where the upper and lower limits of the vent should extend to. Since the surface is curved, the lines don't look too straight from this angle:

To get a better idea of the shape of the U-cross-sectioned plastic piece to transplant into the fog trim piece, I made a prototype using blue tape folded into itself (to make it stiffer and not have any adhesive side), like so:

The prototype sits like so:

Repeat the process for the lower extension, and remove the rest of the alignment tapes:

Another angle:

It becomes very apparent that any small error in pitch and roll angle will make the extension look misaligned. In this case, having such a small space between the fog trim and the extension space means that the extension doesn't need to be very long. The longer it has to be, the harder it will be to ensure that they all line up nicely. We'll see. This may or may not work. But I'll never know unless I give it a try.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Another effort to make the shape of the plastic piece closer to the shape of the fins in the OE bumper cover. This time, I'm using the squared edge of an acrylic "template" to push the plastic trim from the inside so it inherits a more squared edge. The plastic piece is first heated, and then placed upside down on the vise grip, and then the acrylic is pushed down onto it:

After a few repeats, the inner side of the plastic piece starts to take on the squarish edge of the acrylic template. The surface is originally bumpy. The picture below shows how some of the bumps at the tip of the piece has flattened out:

This makes the outer surface have a cross section that is more like a squared U channel than a half-circle channel:

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    The edges of the heat-formed piece could use some straightening; curving the edges by hand seemed to have introduced some waves on the edge.

I used a vise grip to keep a constant pressure to the sides while re-heating it. This time, the piece sits upside down so I can heat the bottom:

After letting it cool overnight in the vise, the edges look much nicer; the picture might not show it very well.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Experiment: fins

Trying to experiment with adding features that seem to extend the fins on the OE bumper cover into the fog trim piece.

Instead of making a mould from scratch, I found that the acrylic piece I made to replicate the OE fog mounting points and access hole as the right thickness and some curvature. The idea is that I will heat a plastic sheet, and stretch it to follow the thickness and contour of the acrylic piece. Clamp the acrylic piece like so:

After a few seconds under low heat setting of my heat gun, the plastic is ready to be formed:

After a few repeats (heat & form steps), the flat piece looks like this:

Here's the formed plastic piece next to the OE fins on the OE bumper cover. The idea is that a small piece will be grafted onto the foglight trim piece to give the impression that the OE fins "connect" the fog trim to the OE bumper cover:

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Wet sanding the ABS cement extensions (& the transition into the original material). The dark glossy areas are indentations in the ABS cement addition.

After more sanding (front), compared with the other side, which has not been sanded.

A closeup of an intermediate stage of sanding on the edges. Recall that I had to cut notches along the original plastic trim in order to facilitate a deep curve while heat forming. It created stress concentrations that made the curvature not very smooth. The dark glossy waves shows evidence of this; in which the ABS cement tries to smooth out by filling those spaces.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    ABS cement

I wasn't able to find ABS cement with the same packaging as I had bought years ago (which I shown in recent posts in this thread). But I found a bigger cousin; part# 30892:

It is the same brand as the old one (to the left), and the same brand as the main material for my foglight trim. And the paste seem to have the same gloss black color and consistency as the old one. It also says Lo-VOC on the label; I'm assuming it implies low volatile organic compounds. This was found at a local Lowe's hardware store.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by lowfat View Post
    .Crazy shit goes down in here.
    It had to be new things I didn't get to explore in my headlight retrofit. And since foglights aren't critical, the risk of ending up with something not so useful is tolerable, as long as it doesn't blind others.

Leave a comment:

• lowfat
    replied
    Originally posted by ImagioX1 View Post
    Dont think Ive ever posted in this thread but I check in every now and then. Quite an interesting project I must say. Everytime I see more pics they are looking better and better!!

Crazy shit goes down in here.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    ^
    Thank you. The project is more journey oriented than destination oriented. Hopefully it'll be done before Aug 2016.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X