No announcement yet.

7" retrofit (GDAA WRX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd find a jar that can be closed, as my experiment with a small bit of ABS pipe shaving suggest that it takes a while for it to soften.
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

• I've got numerous jars with metal caps from the kitchen that can be used. Since I won't be mixing much to start with, I'm thinking a 150ml jar that used to contain tomato paste will be perfect.

OEM halogen reflector headlights | Osram Rallye H7 65W low beams | Philips Vision H1 55W high beams | Pre-facelift orange indicators

Retrofits in progress: MDX LED retrofit | RX350/EvoX-R quad w/'moto HD relay, Mitsubishi gen4 ballasts and selectable quad wiring (needs lots of fixing)

My retrofits

Comment

• Originally posted by csjoh View Post
        I've got numerous jars with metal caps from the kitchen that can be used. Since I won't be mixing much to start with, I'm thinking a 150ml jar that used to contain tomato paste will be perfect.
        Maybe the lycopene from the leftover tomato paste will help

Comment

• I doubt there's any left after the jar's been through the dishwasher at 60 degrees C

OEM halogen reflector headlights | Osram Rallye H7 65W low beams | Philips Vision H1 55W high beams | Pre-facelift orange indicators

Retrofits in progress: MDX LED retrofit | RX350/EvoX-R quad w/'moto HD relay, Mitsubishi gen4 ballasts and selectable quad wiring (needs lots of fixing)

My retrofits

Comment

• That will do. I got a piece of ABS pipe and drilled it with a large bit to make shavings. I mixed mine in a small travel-sized sqeeze bottle, so I could dispense it like glue. Keep the jar closed, open it up now and again to stir it up. The consistency will depend on the ratio of shavings to acetone, keep mixing shavings in if it's too runny.

MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) works even faster than acetone apparently, it's another reactant to ABS. I bought a jug at the hardware store, but haven't tried to make goop with it.
            Saturn Astra XR
            -Complete Vauxhall VXR exterior conversion
            -EvoX-R, reflective red demon eyes, XB35 5500K, FastBright F5, Triton V3 Amber

Comment

• Originally posted by romanster View Post
              MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) works even faster than acetone apparently, it's another reactant to ABS. I bought a jug at the hardware store, but haven't tried to make goop with it.
              Thanks

The brick & mortar store where I bought my acetone also sells MEK. These might also be available for online order:
              http://www.tapplastics.com/product/f...ek_solvent_/33

Comment

• Gaps filled. It needs a few more thin layers.

Comment

• Dont think Ive ever posted in this thread but I check in every now and then. Quite an interesting project I must say. Everytime I see more pics they are looking better and better!!
                  Custom shield service not available at this time.

PM is not a great way to reach me. Email me at imagioX1@outlook.com

Comment

• ^
                    Thank you. The project is more journey oriented than destination oriented. Hopefully it'll be done before Aug 2016.

Comment

• Originally posted by ImagioX1 View Post
                      Dont think Ive ever posted in this thread but I check in every now and then. Quite an interesting project I must say. Everytime I see more pics they are looking better and better!!

Crazy shit goes down in here.
                      2013 Grand Caravan. LS460s + RX350s.

Comment

• Originally posted by lowfat View Post
                        .Crazy shit goes down in here.
                        It had to be new things I didn't get to explore in my headlight retrofit. And since foglights aren't critical, the risk of ending up with something not so useful is tolerable, as long as it doesn't blind others.

Comment

• ABS cement

I wasn't able to find ABS cement with the same packaging as I had bought years ago (which I shown in recent posts in this thread). But I found a bigger cousin; part# 30892:

It is the same brand as the old one (to the left), and the same brand as the main material for my foglight trim. And the paste seem to have the same gloss black color and consistency as the old one. It also says Lo-VOC on the label; I'm assuming it implies low volatile organic compounds. This was found at a local Lowe's hardware store.

Comment

• Wet sanding the ABS cement extensions (& the transition into the original material). The dark glossy areas are indentations in the ABS cement addition.

After more sanding (front), compared with the other side, which has not been sanded.

A closeup of an intermediate stage of sanding on the edges. Recall that I had to cut notches along the original plastic trim in order to facilitate a deep curve while heat forming. It created stress concentrations that made the curvature not very smooth. The dark glossy waves shows evidence of this; in which the ABS cement tries to smooth out by filling those spaces.

Comment

• Experiment: fins

Trying to experiment with adding features that seem to extend the fins on the OE bumper cover into the fog trim piece.

Instead of making a mould from scratch, I found that the acrylic piece I made to replicate the OE fog mounting points and access hole as the right thickness and some curvature. The idea is that I will heat a plastic sheet, and stretch it to follow the thickness and contour of the acrylic piece. Clamp the acrylic piece like so:

After a few seconds under low heat setting of my heat gun, the plastic is ready to be formed:

After a few repeats (heat & form steps), the flat piece looks like this:

Here's the formed plastic piece next to the OE fins on the OE bumper cover. The idea is that a small piece will be grafted onto the foglight trim piece to give the impression that the OE fins "connect" the fog trim to the OE bumper cover:

Comment

• The edges of the heat-formed piece could use some straightening; curving the edges by hand seemed to have introduced some waves on the edge.

I used a vise grip to keep a constant pressure to the sides while re-heating it. This time, the piece sits upside down so I can heat the bottom:

After letting it cool overnight in the vise, the edges look much nicer; the picture might not show it very well.

Comment

Working...
                                X