No announcement yet.

7" retrofit (GDAA WRX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was wondering what happened to this thread. After sanding can you fill in the slits with a bondo or epoxy? Or is thermal expansion/contraction a concern?

Originally posted by cthunder
    The more you mod your car the moodier it gets.
    Avalon Dual Lens | Rogue LED | Mori 3800K | Mori 3Five | H11 PnP LED

Comment

• Originally posted by Fstrsn View Post
      I was wondering what happened to this thread.
      Life got in the way. It's been going on with ideas that didn't pan out. This was the first recent one that might pan out.

Originally posted by Fstrsn View Post
      After sanding can you fill in the slits with a bondo or epoxy?
      I plan to, but possibly with ABS plastic to discourage stress concentrations in the filled area. If not, I'll have to use something less rigid, say, molded polyurethane.

Originally posted by Fstrsn View Post
      Or is thermal expansion/contraction a concern?
      From what I can tell, the ABS plastic's shape has been quite stable; having been exposed to the elements and the sun's heat & UV for many months now.
      Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

• Originally posted by satrya View Post
        Life got in the way. It's been going on with ideas that didn't pan out. This was the first recent one that might pan out.

I plan to, but possibly with ABS plastic to discourage stress concentrations in the filled area. If not, I'll have to use something less rigid, say, molded polyurethane.

From what I can tell, the ABS plastic's shape has been quite stable; having been exposed to the elements and the sun's heat & UV for many months now.
        I know how that goes. Between work, school, (Thermodynamics, DFMA, FEA, and the start of my Capstone project), and life in general my Murano's have been installed for a little over a month now and I have yet to finish the wiring. X_X

Comment

• Originally posted by Fstrsn View Post
          I know how that goes. Between work, school, (Thermodynamics, DFMA, FEA, and the start of my Capstone project), and life in general my Murano's have been installed for a little over a month now and I have yet to finish the wiring. X_X
          What about just the low beams? Can you make use of wiring from the previous retrofit version?

Comment

• Originally posted by satrya View Post
            What about just the low beams? Can you make use of wiring from the previous retrofit version?
            Right now the Murano's are hooked up, but I'm missing / don't have the right splitter to run the secondary projectors.

Comment

• This is coming together very nicely. Ever thought about updating the sidemarkers as well? Three yellow spots behind the yellow glass might look good and would match the city lights in your headlights. Take care.
              Subaru Outback retrofit:
              http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...aru-Outback-H6
              License plate lights with dual brightness:
              https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...hen-backing-up

Comment

• Originally posted by Crossgolf View Post
                This is coming together very nicely. Ever thought about updating the sidemarkers as well? Three yellow spots behind the yellow glass might look good and would match the city lights in your headlights. Take care.
                The sidemarkers on the fender right behind the headlights? The original is amber; I replaced it with a yellow one (clear sidemarkers with yellow film). At some point, they were lit up with amber LEDs, but they're now regular tungsten amber bulbs.

Interesting concept on the 3 dots.. it would have to be vertical but slightly tilted then. Either that or 3 in a stacked 1-2 arrangement.

After the foglights, my plan is for the taillights. No HID of course; just some experiments in acrylic.

Comment

• Sanding the uneven protrusion from the notches on the edge, as well as other bumps. This is the left hand side cover.

Putting tape behind the notches to catch any of the excess material that hopefully can fill the gaps.

Comment

• I had read that acetone can dissolve ABS plastic. The glass jar was supposed to hold the dissolved ABS solution for pasting onto the gaps.

Either the concentration of the acetone is insufficient, or what I thought was ABS plastic is quite far from it. The "ABS"'s surface only gets wet from the acetone, but there was no other noticeable change in appearance or stiffness.

Comment

• Crumble some styrofoam into acetone and you should have liquaid plastic after 24 hours, maybe it will help you fill the gaps. It should work in theory. Many people said it works.

Comment

• I made some shavings by drilling an ABS pipe elbow and dissolved them in acetone to fill some gaps for a custom Vauxhall grille. Same process worked by dissolving into ABS cement for a thicker consistency, but the other compounds in the cement reacted with the paint primer. Safer with pure acetone, mix shavings until the right consistency.

Satrya if you dip a paper towel in acetone, and rub it on your plastic piece, and no residue is left on the towel, then he piece is another type of plastic.
                        Saturn Astra XR
                        -Complete Vauxhall VXR exterior conversion
                        -EvoX-R, reflective red demon eyes, XB35 5500K, FastBright F5, Triton V3 Amber

Comment

• Originally posted by Fallenangel View Post
                          Crumble some styrofoam into acetone and you should have liquaid plastic after 24 hours, maybe it will help you fill the gaps. It should work in theory. Many people said it works.
                          Thanks. I've seen at least one video of mixing styrofoam and acetone; I guess I had my mind set on using ABS plastic. I might need to consider that.

Originally posted by romanster View Post
                          Satrya if you dip a paper towel in acetone, and rub it on your plastic piece, and no residue is left on the towel, then he piece is another type of plastic.
                          Thanks. I dipped a thin strip of what I thought was ABS, and it didn't seem to have been affected.

Comment

• Heated plastic

Decided to experiment with filling the gaps with the same material after being heated. Took a thin strip of the material, placed it in front of a heat gun for a few seconds until the material appears pliable, and then inserted the pliable material into the gap with a spatula.

Top piece shows some of the gaps filled. Bottom piece shows how the notches without the filling. Using a heated spatula, I then try to smooth out the filling. Sanding comes next.

Comment

• Fastening clip

The latest fog trim design (bottom pair) has two flat tabs on top, and one hole for a screw on the inner bottom side (i.e. closer to the license plate). But the outer bottom side (i.e. closer to the fender) doesn't mount onto anything:

I decided to experiment on making a fastening clip that latches onto the back of the 7" housing's round surface; as can be seen in this older picture. The transition from the round front lens to the rectangular housing has the round part forming a protrusion where a clip can latch onto.

Comment

• The fog trim around that area has an small extension, but not long or rigid enough to become the arresting clip. The idea is to add a metal plate that serves as the arresting clip.

First, mark where the top and bottom edges of the extension are on the 7" lens, by placing tape on the lens:

Then, place another tape alongside the thickness of the 7" housing's protrusion, to get the thickness of the protrusion marked onto the tape:

I could've used calipers to take precise measurements, but it will become evident that this is not necessary.

Transfer that tape back to the fog trim. Now we have a template on how far the arresting clip should be going into the foglight opening before making a bend that latches onto the 7" housing's protrusion.

Another view of the template for the arresting clip, as seen from the inner side of the foglight trim:

Comment

Working...
                                X