7" retrofit (GDAA WRX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 iterations of the trim pieces

Comparing previous iterations of the foglight trim pieces; each of them showing the passenger side face-up, and driver side face down. All of them start from the same "raw material".

The top pair was my original trim pieces (circa ~10 years ago). The plastic surfaces aren't modified, so the "flat" portion is really flat. Also, there are 2 pairs of 2 holes on the top portion for metal tabs to be bolted onto. On the bottom is a single hole for a custom bracket. The round opening is much closer to a circle compared to the newer ones. This is because the OEM 7" foglights sit further back into the oem bumper cover's recess.

The middle pair is the first version in this build thread. The plastic surfaces are heat bent to curve along the oem bumper cover, and the edges are rounded somewhat. I took the metal tabs from the first iteration, and mounted it to a metal bracket that mounts to the plastic piece using 2 screws sitting on a less visible surface.

The bottom pair is the latest version in this build thread. More curves, and more material is left to curve inwards for a more wholesome 3D look. A new bracket containing tabs are mounted with screws that are completely hidden. The bottom side retains the middle pair's mounting method.

Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

• I still think that you need to do that bottom inner corner better lol

Comment

• Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
        I still think that you need to do that bottom inner corner better lol
        Yes. But not at this point. That'll have to be done once the mounts are complete, and then both sides mounted on the vehicle. I have to be mindful that any trimming would permanently remove that material, and when I make curve adjustments (by heat bending) almost anywhere, the position of the edges can change dramatically. So far, I've been test driving the latest version for a few days to see whether or not any of the curves retain their shape. I'd rather not find out I've done something irreversible and incorrect that forces me to make another iteration.

Comment

• Black trim piece

I've been driving with the latest trim version for the past few days. I still like the trim piece matched to the body color paint than black.

Comment

• +1 on paint. Black looks unfinished.

OEM halogen reflector headlights | Osram Rallye H7 65W low beams | Philips Vision H1 55W high beams | Pre-facelift orange indicators

Retrofits in progress: MDX LED retrofit | RX350/EvoX-R quad w/'moto HD relay, Mitsubishi gen4 ballasts and selectable quad wiring (needs lots of fixing)

My retrofits

Comment

• arrrrrrrrrrrrgghhhhhh

Comment

• ^

Yes, I'll deal with the tearduct edge eventually. But not untill I finalize the 3D curvature. And I want to make sure the plastic piece doesn't settle into a different shape and show unwanted opening or misalignment.

Until then, the tearduct can't be trimmed off.

Comment

• Yeah it would suck to trim the edge so that it looks good now, only to have it deform or something and leave a gap.

I can mark up those pics if you can't see what I see lol

Comment

• Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
                    Yeah it would suck to trim the edge so that it looks good now, only to have it deform or something and leave a gap.

I can mark up those pics if you can't see what I see lol
                    Any input is welcome. I think I know what you're talking about, but it doesn't hurt to get feedback. There are other areas that need further work, particularly how the plastic has "relaxed" around the bumper corner area. I'm still brainstorming on how to correct that.

Comment

• yeah I'll do a quick photoshop when I get home

Comment

• OK I did some quick edits.

First one shows what I feel like is the natural "line" that the shape should follow, in order to flow best

Originally posted by satrya View Post

Satyra2.png

Next one shows the final product

Originally posted by satrya View Post

Satyra.png

Comment

• Thanks. The area closer to the fender is a bit tricky, as it isn't constrained by any mounting mechanism. Since making the depth consistent relative to the bumper cover is difficult, I am leaning towards pushing it further back like that and come up with something to go with the shape.

Not sure yet.

Comment

• Looking good.

99 Dodge Durango SLT SelecTrac (NV242) 4WD 5.2L Magnum V8 Build Thread
                            FX-R Retrofit - Picture Thread

2014 Dodge Charger R/T Awd

Comment

• Originally posted by that_guy318 View Post
                              Looking good.
                              Thanks. Still a lot of details to figure out.

Comment

• Smoothing off creases

To get the rounding of edges of the plastic piece, I had to cut notches to allow the material to flow when heat-formed. This results in some creases formed at the tip of the notches like so:

I tried to smooth it out by using a heated spatula; hoping that the plastic will be deformable so the crease can be "squashed". That didn't work too well.

As an alternate measure, I ended up filing the creases like so:

Luckily, there is enough thickness in the material not to result in a hole formed (yet). I suppose filing is all good, since the surface will eventually need to be sanded down for paint prep anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X