• 06BlkMax
    replied
    Satrya any pic's of the fogs??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by csjoh View Post
    Great work, as always... but... what are going to do when this is done?

It seems pretty close to completion by now.
    Thx.

I already have parts lined up for the tail light. It may be another 2 year project. Main objective should be to add an aux reverse light for backing into enclosed areas in broad daylight (where everything but the enclosed area is blindingly bright, but the enclosed area is relatively pitch black). This will be another non-HID project; and hopefully the function over form won't make it HIDeous.

After that, is probably the headlights (version 3; HID + LED), and then foglights (version 2; halogen + LED). Just keep on rotating.

How's the Galant - MDX project? Winter's coming up, so I imagine your boating activities will decrease quite a bit soon.

On an unrelated note; I've used the 3M blue painters tape for many parts of the DIY; it's a really great tape in terms of striking the balance between sticking very well but not peeling things left and right and leaving residue. In that latest picture (post #905), I ran out of the original tape and used the new "blu" tape. That one seem to retain the same qualities, and then adds this nice thinness to it. Very nice.

Leave a comment:

• csjoh
    replied
    Great work, as always... but... what are going to do when this is done?

It seems pretty close to completion by now.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Body color paint done. Now to unmask portions that will be painted black, like the areas that contact with the housing lens and near the vent fin extensions:

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Primer, you say... are you painting them yellow?
    Yes. Either that or I'll spray paint the whole car primer grey.

I did a comparison on the 2nd version (the current one is the 3rd and hopefully final version), and I think I liked it to match body paint color better than black. Here's the 2nd version before and after painting. (it wasn't the exact same yellow)

I know there are recent vehicles whose fog trim area protrudes from the general OE bumper surface in a very similar manner to my fog trim, and is not body color matched (i.e. left black). But it appears that body paint matching looks nicer for this one.

Leave a comment:

• csjoh
    replied
    Primer, you say... are you painting them yellow?

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by lowfat View Post
    Looks good so far.
    Thx. 2 years since this build thread started. Maybe it will be done this year.

Leave a comment:

• lowfat
    replied
    Looks good so far.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    First coat of primer.

Next will be successive repeats of wetsand & primer until it is nice enough, especially around the joint of the extension vent pieces.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    On to the not-so-fun part; sanding the extension and the heat-weld joints around it smooth. The area around the extension on the right side of this picture shows the roughness of the joint from the heat welding. The sanding of the area around the left extension is almost done.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    One side done

Now the OE vent (on the bumper cover) appears to go on and lines up with the horizontal shape in the OE bumper cover opening.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    The new extension sits more or less like so, but blended further into the surface of the fog trim.

There's quite a bit of excess material from the "fingernail" that needs to be removed once it is affixed to the fog trim piece.

Do the same thing for the other side.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Extension part

I decided against using this piece I previously planned to use as the extension.

On one hand, the argument for using that piece is that the OE vent at the corner of the bumper cover gets thinner and thinner, to emerge on the other side of the fog trim as a pointed edge. That seems to make sense in a way. However, none of the OE features on the body panels convey something that sharp.

So, I opted to use the same method for the other vent extensions on the opposite side of the fog trim pieces. There are two changes. The first, is to make the piece a little bit thinner (not much, just by a few milimeters) by heating the piece and clamping it to cool. The second, is to add a sharper curvature in order to follow the curved edge of the fog trim pieces.

Adding a sharper curvature by heat forming the material:

And then, cut an appropriate piece to size. It looks like a fingernail of sorts..

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Aligning further extension

I wanted to see where the extra extension should "point" to. This is because on the OE lower bumper cover opening (for the radiator), there is a black piece that has a bottom, which creates a horizontal line across the opening. After tweaking the possible lines, I ended up with this. The tape delineates the approximate upper and lower edges of the extension.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Looks good!

I liked the idea of extending it "through" the fog light cover and have it come out pointier on the inside, but at the same time it doesn't look quite right... maybe try extending it to the edge of the "mouth" in the bumper?
    Thx

Doesn't your suggestion mean that the extension won't connect with the fog trim at all? Or did you mean out of the fog trim like I had in post #891, but make that extension long enough to go all the way to enter the lower opening for the radiator? That would be very long. I'd be worried about getting the shape appear crooked.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X