7" retrofit (GDAA WRX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transferring the new edges of the paper mache onto the black plastic piece:

Thanks to the paper mache, no erroneous cuts were made. Here it is held up by tape.

Proper mounting method is to be determined.
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

• This thread is 70 pages and still not done? Lol
      Originally posted by nine44
      350 wit da wrist boy?

Comment

• Been a while since an update

Comment

• Originally posted by Ilikecars View Post
          This thread is 70 pages and still not done? Lol
          Cause the retrofit is more of a means for me to experiment with things. The many pages show the different directions and small details that I've tried and subsequently abandoned. The journey is my destination.

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
          Been a while since an update
          Yes. Business travel has been crazy. Plus I've tried many different subtle details on getting the black plastic piece to wrap around the edge of the bumper cover while at the same time hug it tightly enough. I wanted a removable solution that keeps the oem bumper cover unmodified, so that leaves out mounting screws directly on the bumper cover.

Comment

• So how do you plan on doing the aligning with everything as crazy as it is
            Originally posted by nine44
            350 wit da wrist boy?

Comment

• I think you may be on to something with v2.0 of the shroud.

Originally posted by cthunder
              The more you mod your car the moodier it gets.
              Avalon Dual Lens | Rogue LED | Mori 3800K | Mori 3Five | H11 PnP LED

Comment

• Originally posted by Ilikecars View Post
                So how do you plan on doing the aligning with everything as crazy as it is
                The aux turn and aux parking light have a very diffuse and almost uniform beam pattern, although I slightly flattened it to spread horizontally. Those are fine with the alignment I've set them to.

The ES300 fogs and the Micro DE has to be aligned in a painful process of mount (the whole assembly), test, note the discrepancy, unmount (the whole assembly), open the back, bend one of the metal frame arms to the right direction, close the back, seal the back, and repeat.

The one good thing is that those are foglights, with somewhat diffuse cutoff and short range (by definition), so pitch alignment is not as sensitive as low beams imho.

Originally posted by Fstrsn View Post
                I think you may be on to something with v2.0 of the shroud.
                I suppose. I'm still partial for the initial idea of the cover wrapping around the edge of the bumper cover.

Comment

• The slow process of incrementally trimming the edges of the black plastic to fit; both left and right side pieces:

With most blue tape removed, and leaving just 2 strips to "mount" the pieces:

Comment

• Originally posted by satrya View Post

I suppose. I'm still partial for the initial idea of the cover wrapping around the edge of the bumper cover.
                    I like how this version sit's inside the bumper and doesn't interrupt the aesthetic lines.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fstrsn View Post
                      I like how this version sit's inside the bumper and doesn't interrupt the aesthetic lines.
                      I somehow liked how covering the edge hides the 3 vents on the side; the shape & size of the vents seem different enough from other openings on the front end. There's an OEM option grille that works with the 3 vents, but not with the one I use.

Here's a Prodrive bumper cover with its foglight cover piece; the bumper cover is not exactly the same, but replacing the 3 vents with a smooth panel seem to look good imho. I realize my intended version isn't identical.

Example picture from:
                      http://www.grahamberry2.co.jp/stock/...ive_Style_GDB/

Comment

• Mmmmm, I still like your version 2.0 better, lol.

Comment

• I see.

My other reason for wanting to try the curved piece is that I've never made curved ABS piece before. Obviously with the latest direction, I have to concede that the only way to make the curved piece work is to bolt the edges to the bumper cover, much like the Prodrive version. But I didn't want to have any new holes drilled on the oem bumper cover.

I thought the curved aluminum bars would allow me to overcome that restriction. But it didn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by satrya View Post
                            I see.

My other reason for wanting to try the curved piece is that I've never made curved ABS piece before. Obviously with the latest direction, I have to concede that the only way to make the curved piece work is to bolt the edges to the bumper cover, much like the Prodrive version. But I didn't want to have any new holes drilled on the oem bumper cover.

I thought the curved aluminum bars would allow me to overcome that restriction. But it didn't.
                            Mhm, I remember that. How do you plan on affixing this new version?

Comment

• inb4 3m double sided tape.
                              Originally posted by Bitter
                              They're literally flying canoes with boxer engines packed full of Molotov cocktails that rely on tampons and $10 screws to stay in the air and not kill you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fstrsn View Post
                                Mhm, I remember that. How do you plan on affixing this new version?
                                Originally posted by phantom240 View Post
                                inb4 3m double sided tape.

I lean towards mechanical fastening as opposed to surface-to-surface bonding approach. Much easier to remove and re mount imho.

Since the size is quite smaller, there are areas near the foglight opening of the bumper cover that I may be able to use.

Comment

Working...
                                X