No announcement yet.

7" retrofit (GDAA WRX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignoring for the moment, the important issue of how the black piece needs to be mounted, we turn our attention to replicating the black piece for the driver's side, before things go too far ahead.

First, place some dimensional markers relative to fixed locations on the shaped piece. The arrow and circle-with-dot provides the orientation of up and forward, so as not to mix up the passenger vs driver side piece and so as not to mix up which way is up or down.

On the raw black piece, place blue tape on areas that may need to be marked, either for alignment or trimming. Transfer measurements from the shaped piece (on the left) to the raw piece (on the right). This bypasses the need to make a paper mache to determine the fine trimming of the plastic piece as was done on the left piece before.
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

• Lesson learned

Learning from the heat bending experiment for the driver's side piece, I don't apply pliers or clamps directly onto the plastic piece. What happened was as the plastic was heated to a certain point, the local plastic area became soft enough that as the rest of the plastic piece tries to resist the bending, the local area warped, leaving some plier/clamp marks.

Instead, I used two pieces of L brackets along the bend line, and progressively clamp the two brackets to shape the final bend on the plastic. All this while heat is applied with the lowest setting on the heat gun (shown on the right).

The newer piece is shown under the original one. It is hard to see here, but the edges of the bends are a bit more consistent.

Comment

• Test fit

Test fitment of the new piece (on the far side / driver's side); just taping them on.

Comment

• Any progress? Can't wait for more.

P.S. I finally finished my Forester Retro, let me know what you think!

Retrofit Build Journal
          Tuned Morimoto Mini H1 V5/6 Hybrids | XB35 4300K | Morimoto 5Five DSP
          Hella 500 Black Magic | Catz Zeta

2002 Jaguar X-Type AWD 2.5 V6 (planning quad retrofit!)

Comment

• Originally posted by Joshua Henry View Post
            Any progress? Can't wait for more.
            Nothing so far. I'm stuck on figuring out the best way to mount the trim around the foglights.

Originally posted by Joshua Henry View Post
            P.S. I finally finished my Forester Retro, let me know what you think!
            I saw. That's quite an extensive mod overall. That front grille is one of the option parts for the JDM STi version isn't it? I remember looking at some option parts for my SG forester many years ago.

Comment

• You can't do anything simple and quick can you?

But everything you do looks amazing. Keep up the good work!
              2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
              1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'

Comment

• Originally posted by Bitter View Post
                You can't do anything simple and quick can you?

But everything you do looks amazing. Keep up the good work!
                Thanks. As much as I want the result, I want to use the opportunity to experiment with things. Most of the things I've been experimenting on (and ended up discarding) are things I haven't experimented on for my headlight retrofits.

If I wanted simple, I would've been done with leaving the Hella Micro DE halogen fogs in the lower center grille, which I've done one winter just to test the output.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bitter View Post
                  You can't do anything simple and quick can you?
                  For Satrya, the destination is the journey!

Comment

• Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
                    For Satrya, the destination is the journey!
                    You mean, the journey is the destination?

Comment

• OK yeah I was thinking of something different, and now it makes no sense. Never mind lol

Comment

• Originally posted by satrya View Post
                        Nothing so far. I'm stuck on figuring out the best way to mount the trim around the foglights.

I saw. That's quite an extensive mod overall. That front grille is one of the option parts for the JDM STi version isn't it? I remember looking at some option parts for my SG forester many years ago.
                        How does the whole assembly, (bumper, fog's, and trim piece) attach together? Do you need to remove the bumper to mount the fogs?

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
                        OK yeah I was thinking of something different, and now it makes no sense. Never mind lol
                        Lol, Gold, go to sleep.

Originally posted by cthunder
                        The more you mod your car the moodier it gets.
                        Avalon Dual Lens | Rogue LED | Mori 3800K | Mori 3Five | H11 PnP LED

Comment

• I got 4 hours of sleep now, not that it helped

Comment

• Originally posted by Fstrsn View Post
                            How does the whole assembly, (bumper, fog's, and trim piece) attach together? Do you need to remove the bumper to mount the fogs?
                            No need to remove the bumper cover.

(1) The bumper cover (that plastic oem body-colored piece) mounts to the frame / front clip.

(2) There is a 7" somewhat rectangular recess on each side of the bumper cover, painted black.

(3) Behind it, there is a metal plate with threaded holes.
                            (no picture)

(4) The oem foglights (and my replacement) comes in from the outside, has mounting tabs with 3 holes, which allows machine screws to fasten the foglights through the rectangular recess. The metal plate's thread holds the screws (and hence holds the foglights) together.
                            (oem foglight's mounting tabs)

(my version; the holes are at the same relative position as the oem)

(5) The trim piece (both my version and an oem that is more of a complete foglight cover) mounts from outside, and sits "in front of" the foglight lens.
                            (showing an as-is picture to the left, and with an older DIY cover that sits in the same area as oem foglight cover to the right)

(5a) The oem foglight cover merely stays within the area of the recess, and is mounted via 1 screw on the bottom (that extends one of the screws used to mount the foglights) and 2 tabs on top.
                            (one screw on the bottom, and 2 tabs above)

(5b) I'm trying to get my version to go beyond the recess area. But I'd like it to hide any hints of mounting hardware as much as possible.
                            (trying to extend to the left and right of previous version)

Comment

• The only thing I can think of is to remove the bumper cover and attach the fog trim the backside somehow. Assuming the bumper can be removed independent of the fog's.

Originally posted by cthunder
                              The more you mod your car the moodier it gets.
                              Avalon Dual Lens | Rogue LED | Mori 3800K | Mori 3Five | H11 PnP LED

Comment

• Originally posted by Fstrsn View Post
                                The only thing I can think of is to remove the bumper cover and attach the fog trim the backside somehow. Assuming the bumper can be removed independent of the fog's.
                                But the trim is in front of the foglights, and the trim's opening is smaller than the size of the foglights. Think of the trim as a complete foglight cover with a small opening to show about 6" out of the 7" foglight lens. The sequence has to be bumper cover -- foglight -- trim piece. It is quite different from how most foglights mount on other vehicles (i.e. from inside the bumper cover).

Comment

Working...
                                X