7" retrofit (GDAA WRX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by satrya View Post
    As in a line that curves back into a circle; finite length, but no end in sight
    Sounds like one of the projects I'm working on for work.

Originally posted by cthunder
    The more you mod your car the moodier it gets.
    Avalon Dual Lens | Rogue LED | Mori 3800K | Mori 3Five | H11 PnP LED

Comment

• Sounds like my life...

OEM halogen reflector headlights | Osram Rallye H7 65W low beams | Philips Vision H1 55W high beams | Pre-facelift orange indicators

Retrofits in progress: MDX LED retrofit | RX350/EvoX-R quad w/'moto HD relay, Mitsubishi gen4 ballasts and selectable quad wiring (needs lots of fixing)

My retrofits

Comment

• Are we all going philosophical about the wheel of life here?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhavacakra
        Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

• It's important to know yourself and where you're at. Then, and only then can you do something about it.

OEM halogen reflector headlights | Osram Rallye H7 65W low beams | Philips Vision H1 55W high beams | Pre-facelift orange indicators

Retrofits in progress: MDX LED retrofit | RX350/EvoX-R quad w/'moto HD relay, Mitsubishi gen4 ballasts and selectable quad wiring (needs lots of fixing)

My retrofits

Comment

• Or think you know yourself and think you know where you're at...

then, and only then can you think that you might be able to do something about it

regardless of whether you have control of the situation or not...

Comment

• Yeah just make sure it doesn't look sloppy is all. I have no clue how you'd get that piece to form to the curves of the bumper, which is why I was thinking you'd just cut it all off.

Comment

• Me neither. Heat forming the plastic directly on the bumper cover will probably lead to deforming the bumper cover itself.

More new things to explore.

Comment

• You'd have to tack it on somehow, like with epoxy

Comment

• That piece has to be removable, because the only way the 7" housing can be serviced is by taking the plastic piece off. I think that pretty much rules out epoxying the plastic piece to the oem bumper cover.

Comment

• Closeup pic after some more trimming of the top rounded edge; the rounded edge is thinnest at the corner of the bumper cover, and is currently thickest at the back facing vent. The front facing vent doesn't need to stick out that much, because the bumper cover forms a bit of a recess in this area. I figured it would be more than enough airflow. Any more and I risk putting enough positive pressure behind the black plastic piece to blow it out on freeway speeds.

This is how it currently looks from a bit farther back

Comment

• Area around the opening needs some fine adjustment to visually line up with the 7" housing. Defer that for later.

Top-ish view

Not sure how to mount the plastic piece yet. Minor detail.

Comment

• I feel like the top edge should be lower so that it matches the bumper better

Comment

• ^Yup

99 Dodge Durango SLT SelecTrac (NV242) 4WD 5.2L Magnum V8 Build Thread
                            FX-R Retrofit - Picture Thread

2014 Dodge Charger R/T Awd

Comment

• +2.

It's not off by much, but enough that it's noticeable.

Originally posted by cthunder
                              The more you mod your car the moodier it gets.
                              Avalon Dual Lens | Rogue LED | Mori 3800K | Mori 3Five | H11 PnP LED

Comment

• Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
                                I feel like the top edge should be lower so that it matches the bumper better
                                Originally posted by that_guy318 View Post
                                ^Yup
                                Originally posted by Fstrsn View Post
                                +2.

It's not off by much, but enough that it's noticeable.
                                The challenge is the contour of the bumper cover itself, where starting from the vertical piece before the 3 vents on the side, juts out further than the recess right above the foglight opening. This means that the black plastic piece will have to have a "bump" around that area. Moving the top edge at the point I placed allows the black plastic piece to be as smooth as possible. The blue tape in this picture emulates the exposed area of the bumper cover, with the area right below it being covered by the black plastic.

My current thought is to reduce the number of visual features in the corner area, including the sharp change in curvature around that vertical piece (of the oem bumper cover) and the 3 vents, so that the headlights become a stronger focal point of visual details.

Comment

Working...
                                X