7" retrofit (GDAA WRX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by phantom240 View Post
    Ah. I wasn't aware the main turn signal was still incandescent.
    Yes. Price-vs-output wise, I'm sticking to incandescent amber turn signal bulbs for now.

The aux turn signal doesn't have the same beam pattern, even though I've already added a diffuser ahead of it. The intensity is very good from the oncoming traffic's pov.
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

• Both (upper: ES300, yellow lens version; lower: Hella Micro DE, foglight version) foglights on. The bulbs are regular 55W halogen H3. OEM headlight switch is at the city light / parking light position (that one position before "Low"). This lights up the 3 LEDs in the headlight and the sidemarkers.

Now with the low beams on, quad mode (top:Mini D2S 2.0, 3Five 4300K bulbs still warming up, 3Five ballasts; bottom: EvoX-R, 85122, Matsushita Gen V), plus the fogs, quad mode.

I was hoping that the placement of the ES and DE could mirror the relative roll angle of the Mini and Evo, but this is the max roll I can get in order for them to fit into the opening.

Comment

• 3W LED

And now just the 3W LED. Like the fogs, it is wired so that it can only be used when the oem light switch is not in the "off" position. Hence the 3 amber LEDs and amber sidemarkers are also on.

I've been using the squirrel finder addition in the Mini D2S as some form of DRL. Broad daylight test from across a local street; the 3W LED doesn't stand out more than the Mini D2RL. But it adds conspicuity imho.

For future reference, perhaps three to seven of those 3W LEDs (each side) can serve as DRL. Maybe it is also the color; blueish white in broad daylight seem to get drowned out.

Comment

• The old DIY foglight trim piece sat inside the bumper cover opening like so:

With the new 7" housing's glass lens being at least 1" further forward, that piece doesn't really fit. Instead, the new piece needs to push a bit forward and possibly wrap around the edge like so:

That cardboard mock up doesn't curve very well, but that's the general idea I'm currently considering. The piece might extend further inwards into the lower center opening, and modify the angle of the lower center opening to add a slight tilt. But that will obscure the tow hook cover.

Comment

• Since the trim piece needs to span the edge of the bumper cover, what used to be a flat surface needs to be curved. Some heat forming (lowest heat setting in my heat gun) takes care of that nicely. This will be an iterative process of heat, bend, and check (onto the actual bumper cover).

To prevent trimming off too much material, I decided to replicate the curved piece with the trusty paper mache method. The idea is to do fine trimming on the paper mache so that the final shape can be decided. 1 part all-purpose flour, 4 parts water, boiled, with a pinch of salt (to inhibit bacterial growth).

As with other parts of this project, overtrimming the paper mache can easily be remedied by taping new material, as long as the overtrim wasn't excessive. That way, I don't have to get a new plastic piece altogether and re-match the curve.

Wait for the paper mache to cure.

Comment

• As always, in for updates. Where did you get that trim piece though?

Originally posted by cthunder
              The more you mod your car the moodier it gets.
              Avalon Dual Lens | Rogue LED | Mori 3800K | Mori 3Five | H11 PnP LED

Comment

• Originally posted by Fstrsn View Post
                As always, in for updates. Where did you get that trim piece though?
                Hardware store; they apparently custom made one for my year model

It looks like this in the orientation it is designed for:

They come either in galvanized steel (or maybe aluminum) or ABS plastic. The angle it makes is almost identical to the angle the oem foglight lens makes with respect to the bumper cover (as shown in the picture below). It was quite an amusing discovery.

The true top side has a granular texture, but the other side is nicely very smooth, save for some injection molding artifacts.

Comment

• Lol, well that's convenient.

Comment

• It's flashing for angled roofs (to accommodate PVC pluming vents)

Comment

• Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
                      It's flashing for angled roofs (to accommodate PVC pluming vents)
                      Indeed.

Comment

• Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
                        It's flashing for angled roofs (to accommodate PVC pluming vents)
                        Mmmm, when I saw the other pic I recognized it. I just find it humorous that something so readily available fits this specific of an application.

Comment

• ^
                          I almost couldn't believe it myself.

Comment

• Trimming the paper mache to figure out how much of the cone section to retain; gradual & small trims like these are much easier on the paper mache than on ABS plastic.

That's how much cone section (i.e. the part that recesses into the foglight opening) left to make it rest just on the surface of the 7" glass lens. I've only taped the top, so the bottom isn't touching the bumper cover yet. I've also marked off where the 3 vent profiles are on the oem bumper cover's corner (green marker).

Comment

• The piece I made years ago sits inside the foglight recess like so:

For the new one, the plan is to have something that follows the corner contour of the bumper cover a bit more, and hopefully doesn't have visible screws. The first piece above has 1 screw on the bottom outer edge, and 4 screws on top.

If the piece is to wrap around the bumper cover's corner, it will have to terminate somewhere. Going all the way towards the fender well (i.e. the opening for the tires) may be a bit much. One option is to terminate inside the 3 vents near the corner:

With some heat forming, the top and bottom areas of this bend might be made to fit the bumper cover. Moving from the front to the side, the top and bottom edges of the piece can rest on 2 ridges marked by the two, almost horizontal, green lines. The bottom edge will clear the brake duct vent on the bottom side of the bumper cover.

For context, here is the oem bumper cover as is.

Comment

• From various angles.

Comment

Working...
                                X