No announcement yet.

7" retrofit (GDAA WRX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relieved to find out that with a lot of patience and dishwasher soap, the goo disappeared. I could go with the suggestions of magic eraser & citrus based cleaner next time (I hope there won't be a next time).

The ridges on the skin that makes fingerprints are apparently abrasive enough to take the goo off after repeated soap application. I think my fingerprints are almost gone from all this goo peeling.
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

• Aluminum tape

Since I've had reasonable success with aluminum tape as an additional seal around the butyl channels in the past, I decided to cut strips of aluminum tape and use them to keep the curved edge of the film in place.

As before, the film is heated section by section, starting from the bottom, and moving up on the left and right side until I reach the top dead center. Along the way, the curved edge is squeegeed, and aluminum tape strip is applied to "pull" the film over the curve. As I move upwards, the aluminum tape is laid on top of another like roof tiles. My assumption is that water that manages to get here will want to gradually drip downwards due to gravity. I don't know whether the local air pressure buildup in the foglight opening will overcome this (and thus making an inverted roof pattern the way to go).

Now the film edges follow the contour nicely.

Comment

• Originally posted by satrya View Post
        Since I've had reasonable success with aluminum tape as an additional seal around the butyl channels in the past, I decided to cut strips of aluminum tape and use them to keep the curved edge of the film in place.

As before, the film is heated section by section, starting from the bottom, and moving up on the left and right side until I reach the top dead center. Along the way, the curved edge is squeegeed, and aluminum tape strip is applied to "pull" the film over the curve. As I move upwards, the aluminum tape is laid on top of another like roof tiles. My assumption is that water that manages to get here will want to gradually drip downwards due to gravity. I don't know whether the local air pressure buildup in the foglight opening will overcome this (and thus making an inverted roof pattern the way to go).

Now the film edges follow the contour nicely.

Does this mean you're close to doing a final assembly of these?

Originally posted by cthunder
        The more you mod your car the moodier it gets.
        Avalon Dual Lens | Rogue LED | Mori 3800K | Mori 3Five | H11 PnP LED

Comment

• Originally posted by Fstrsn View Post
          Does this mean you're close to doing a final assembly of these?
          A few weeks ago, I've completed the wiring harnesses for the aux turn signal, aux parking lights (I don't think it is bright enough to be a DRL), and the 2 pairs of foglights. It was around the time I posted about the internals of the 2-pin AMP-type connectors.

Next will be functional test (i.e. whether they work at all after being set aside for so long). The housings mount to the oem location using the oem screws (unless I made some error).

After that comes foglight trim pieces. The sides of the housing will remain as bare metal to maximize heat conductivity (since those halogen fogs can get quite hot, even at the oem 55W rating), hidden behind the foglight trim.

With any luck, the foglights and 3800K D2S bulbs will be in service this winter; not that we normally see much winter in this part of the world.

Comment

• OMFG you are the best of the retrofit hehehe

Comment

• Originally posted by Leo.Nardo View Post
              OMFG you are the best of the retrofit hehehe
              Thank you. There are many others I can think of here with much better skill and attention to detail though.

Comment

• I'll bet a strap wrench would hold the film around the edge nicely.

99 Dodge Durango SLT SelecTrac (NV242) 4WD 5.2L Magnum V8 Build Thread
                FX-R Retrofit - Picture Thread

2014 Dodge Charger R/T Awd

Comment

• Originally posted by that_guy318 View Post
                  I'll bet a strap wrench would hold the film around the edge nicely.
                  Probably. I thought of using hose clamps, but I don't have spare ones around for a 7".

Comment

• You could always connect a couple together.

99 Dodge Durango SLT SelecTrac (NV242) 4WD 5.2L Magnum V8 Build Thread
                    FX-R Retrofit - Picture Thread

2014 Dodge Charger R/T Awd

Comment

• ^
                      Yes. True. If I had enough.

As it stands now, I'm relying on the aluminum tape to provide the permanent role of preventing water to enter any gap between the glass lens and the film's edge. In addition, it helps keep the film's edge curved. I will need to monitor it for several days to see if any of the edges peel off or not (hopefully not).

Comment

• Aux turn signal test

Now to test the aux turn signal. I had previously modified the sidemarker (i.e. the amber piece on the fender next to the headlight) to blink in unison when the headlights are off (i.e. no parking nor low nor high), and blink alternatively when the headlights are on.

The aux turn signal is wired in parallel with the main turn signal in the headlights. In the event that the main turn signal bulb needs replacement, the aux turn signal will provide something somewhat usable until a replacement can be made... I have spare bulbs in the trunk, but I can't assume I can always find out that the bulb is out and pull over to replace it right away.

Here's how it looks like when both are at their maximum intensity, more or less...

A little animated gif; the timing presented by this animated gif is much faster than the real timing.

Comment

• So they don't blink all at the same time, but like they do in the gif? It's definitely different and sure to grab attention, though.

OEM halogen reflector headlights | Osram Rallye H7 65W low beams | Philips Vision H1 55W high beams | Pre-facelift orange indicators

Retrofits in progress: MDX LED retrofit | RX350/EvoX-R quad w/'moto HD relay, Mitsubishi gen4 ballasts and selectable quad wiring (needs lots of fixing)

My retrofits

Comment

• I'm not sure if I like the lack of a synchronous or wig wag timing...
                            Originally posted by Bitter
                            They're literally flying canoes with boxer engines packed full of Molotov cocktails that rely on tampons and $10 screws to stay in the air and not kill you.

Comment

• Originally posted by csjoh View Post
                              So they don't blink all at the same time, but like they do in the gif? It's definitely different and sure to grab attention, though.
                              Originally posted by phantom240 View Post
                              I'm not sure if I like the lack of a synchronous or wig wag timing...
                              Wiring wise, the main and aux turn signals blink at the same time. The variation is in how the sidemarker behaves; it either blinks in unison with the main (and aux), or alternating with them.

The animated gif is taken from 3 frames of a multiple frame shot, and are not spaced that uniformly in time. Since the aux turn signal uses LED while the main uses incandescent bulb, the LED lights up first (due to the faster response time). Interestingly, the difference between the decay response profiles of the incandescent bulb and the LED's as power is cut off from them, as seen in the animated gif , looks like the LED stays on longer.

This combination makes it seem that all 3 (main, aux, and sidemarker) blink with some syncopation. If the 3 were mounted in a single line, it can appear as if they light up in sequence: aux then main then sidemarker. That wasn't the intent of the wiring/design.

Comment

• Ah. I wasn't aware the main turn signal was still incandescent.
                                Originally posted by Bitter
                                They're literally flying canoes with boxer engines packed full of Molotov cocktails that rely on tampons and $10 screws to stay in the air and not kill you.

Comment

Working...
                                X