• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah that looks like too much foreground light to me

Comment

I like the Micro DE there.
      2012 Volkswagen Golf R. 2016 Ford Fiesta ST

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
        Yeah that looks like too much foreground light to me
        I agree. But that can be easily fixed with a foreground limiter; I know you're not a fan of that (as opposed to using projectors that have optics with less foreground to begin with).

Originally posted by wireless View Post
        I like the Micro DE there.
        Output wise, I agree. But the 2.5" lens fills the opening much better. Here's a quick mock-up. It's tilted to reproduce a similar yaw angle as the oem foglight's outer lens. Obviously, the mounting flanges will need to be hidden / covered with a custom shroud.

Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
          I made this foglight trim years ago, which is meant to cover the gap between the oem foglights and the bumper cover. It starts from a piece that looks like this. Anyone seen this piece?
          Yeah, thats a roof vent/ pipe boot
          FXR 3.0, Osram 66240, morimoto 5five ballasts
          Matchbox projectors for hi beam, 35w 4300k
          Is300 fogs, 100w halogens
          Originally posted by phantom240
          Having spent a good many days helping my friend with his '85 300SDL, I can say that it takes balls of steel, an anus of concrete, and infinite patience to bring one of these Deutschland Demons back to life.

Comment

yup, stink pipe flashing

Comment

^
              Hardware store experts x2

Comment

I made this foglight trim years ago, which is meant to cover the gap between the oem foglights and the bumper cover. It starts from a piece that looks like this. Anyone seen this piece?
                :shudders: many a tool has died at the while of installing those.. they are the grim reaper of seals...
                The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

^
                  Is the metal one any better to install?

Comment

I think if you can make your fog lights have the same flowing pieces like your head lights, that would be cool!

Comment

Mockup options

How about some mockup options...

(A) Micro DE at the center, with fog trim. (Imagine the Micro DE mounted inside the donor housing)

(B) With 2 short extensions of the ribs

(C) With 2 long extensions

(D) With 2 long extensions + vent holes on the edge of the fog trim

(E) With 2 long extensions + vent holes + matte blackout on the sides to extend the vent holes

(F) With radially oriented clear acrylic on the curved surface of the donor housing, possibly lit

Thoughts? A, B, C, D, E, F?

Comment

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
                        I think if you can make your fog lights have the same flowing pieces like your head lights, that would be cool!
                        I had considered that.

I'm not sure how the flowing pieces would be shaped like though. A blatant mirror image of the headlights might be too odd, no? Along that line, I'd want the Micro DE to be as high as possible, which puts it on the upper half of the 7" housing. Since the Micro DE is black, it would make sense to make the upper half black, which leaves the lower half brushed metal / chrome like the headlights. Would RI Dually D2's fit there? Maybe not.

Comment

I definitely don't like the extentions in B through E, they just seem to violate the fog light's place. Like I said, I would put the projectors IN the fog lights and make some wavy designs to match the head lights.

Comment

^
                            The extensions seem to be missing something. In that sense, I agree. I was trying to remedy the short side vents of the bugeye impreza; I think they had the vents as an homage to the GC/GM/GF impreza platform (in which the 22B STi comes from). As you probably agree, the larger vents and horizontal slats around the side vents on the 22B look very nice.

I won't go as far as grafting the 22B's bumper cover on this one, so I hoped that adding some horizontal slats that extend the shape might do the trick.

I may end up with wavy shapes again.

Comment

Yeah I'm just thinking that the extensions aren't really needed if you are trying to make the fogs themselves something worth looking at. And I think you can and should, since you did so much with the head lights!

Comment

^
                                Hardware store experts x2
                                It is what I do for a living. Lol
                                FXR 3.0, Osram 66240, morimoto 5five ballasts
                                Matchbox projectors for hi beam, 35w 4300k
                                Is300 fogs, 100w halogens
                                Originally posted by phantom240
                                Having spent a good many days helping my friend with his '85 300SDL, I can say that it takes balls of steel, an anus of concrete, and infinite patience to bring one of these Deutschland Demons back to life.

Comment

Working...
                                X