X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by Fstrsn View Post
    Very interesting. Will that clear the housing lens?
    Good question. I don't know yet. The reason the new rings are c-shaped is also to clear the housing lens. The last time I tried the housing lens on, the DRL assembly jutted out about the same amount (see RHS unit in the picture below), so I hope it fits. The other new constraint is now the faceted lens that sits between the LED and the acrylic cabochon lens; there is no gap among them.

Leave a comment:

• Fstrsn
    replied
    Very interesting. Will that clear the housing lens?

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Having the rings glued to the rest of the lens assembly is not an issue, since they are all acrylic, and I plan to use acrylic glue. The connection between the sheet aluminum shroud and acrylic is now by mechanical constraint, not chemical bond. Like so:

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    3rd option: both sides with stabilizing ring

The previous 2 options probably requires small screws to mount the stabilizing ring onto the metal shroud. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with just glueing the acrylic ring on metal. Another way is to have stabilizing rings on both sides.

I made another pair. The bottom pair is the new pair intended for the outside. The top pair is the original pair I previously made. The new ones have a better finish on both sides, since these will be visible from the outside. I left the surface rough enough to keep a frosted look.

The rings mount like so:

, where the gap between them is what keeps the lens assembly affixed to the shroud. Here is the gap, exaggerated.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Alternate position of the stabilizing ring

Alternatively, the stabilizing ring could mount on the outside. If the ring is glued to the DRL assembly, then the ring can be affixed to the shroud by a series of small screws coming in from the backside of the shroud into the ring. The screws won't be visible from the outside, but the ring would be. No screws yet in the picture below.

Another angle:

I'm not sure if I like the screws being visible on the shroud while the ring sits behind it like in the previous post, or the reverse.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X