X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fstrsn
    replied
    Originally posted by zippob09 View Post
    Start small on one side, then increase the size as you go around.
    ^^This. Play off of the optical illusion of these.

And with seeing how much of the fins are actually hidden by that bezel I'm taking back my former statement. With the fog bezels on there you'll see just enough to get an idea, but not enough to overwhelm the entire project.

Leave a comment:

• gold94corolla
    replied
    Wow dude this retrofit gets crazier every day haha. I hope you never finish it, what are we going to do without updates!?!?!?

Leave a comment:

• zippob09
    replied
    Start small on one side, then increase the size as you go around.

Leave a comment:

• csjoh
    replied
    I'll go with narrow...

Leave a comment:

• that_guy318
    replied
    I'd say halfway

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Narrow vs wide dichroic strip

Narrow...

or wide...

Maybe halfway.

Leave a comment:

• gold94corolla
    replied
    ^^^^ oh gosh lol

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by pwr2wh8 View Post
    while your work is amazing, i'll have to agree with others and say it's a bit busy. it would be nice if you can tie in your fogs with your mains.

however, it's your car and if that's the look you like, all is good.
    Thank you for your feedback; you do meticulous work on your retrofits. One thing I noticed, is that behind the 7" glass lens, the contrast created by the shapes and metal vs black textures are significantly muted. So it may be possible that any visual discord between the headlights and foglights may also be muted by the lens.

Having said that, if there's a reasonable way to come up with an alternate cover that I can fabricate without using fiberglass or vacuum forming, I'd be more than happy to hear and consider them. This foglight retrofit is as much about experimenting with things as it is about getting a functional foglight unit (or more).

The hex pattern was an experiment that I hoped would blend in with some future incorporation of hex pattern in the grille, after looking at this sandstone slab at the Smithsonian last year...

Doesn't that slab make you want to retrofit a multi-lens array?

Leave a comment:

• pwr2wh8
    replied
    while your work is amazing, i'll have to agree with others and say it's a bit busy. it would be nice if you can tie in your fogs with your mains.

however, it's your car and if that's the look you like, all is good.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by that_guy318 View Post
    I think that looks cool on it's own, but I think with the hex pieces in there already it's starting to look like too much.
    You mean busier than the headlights?

Originally posted by Fstrsn View Post
    Mmmmm, it needs something to tie it all together, I'm just not sure what that is at the moment.
    I'm making it up as I go.

One thing to note though, is that this 7" housing will be recessed behind a custom foglight trim, so it won't necessarily stick out of the way in the bumper cover area. This is a reasonably representative mock up of what the retrofit will look like, in terms of how much of the hexagons and the 3rd shroud (with the fan blade pattern) will be visible. This is an older mock-up before I painted the "blades", but the idea is similar.

A new pair of DIY foglight trim needs to be made, as the one I made ~10 years ago is looking a bit weathered and has that unsightly 4 screws on the upper side:

Leave a comment:

• Fstrsn
    replied
    Mmmmm, it needs something to tie it all together, I'm just not sure what that is at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• that_guy318
    replied
    I think that looks cool on it's own, but I think with the hex pieces in there already it's starting to look like too much.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Accentuating the turbine blades

Now for a useless and strictly non functional activity (i.e. doesn't do anything to the output of this retrofit)... accentuating the "turbine blades".

From many posts back:

Originally posted by Fstrsn View Post
    You might be on to something there with the radial lines like a turbo or jet engine.
    Originally posted by nine44 View Post
    You could always add some black 'patina' to the lines with some paint wiped over the shroud and cleaned off the raised surfaces but left in the shallow grooves
    A simpler version, or at least I thought it was going to be, is to paint areas between the narrower gaps. The dark lines will appear to be in the same order of magnitude as the dark gaps between the hexagons, instead of very thin lines.

Making the masking tape match existing lines that are not parallel takes longer than I thought. Note to self: not only is this a non-functional activity, it also takes a lot of time.

Painted. The end of the 3rd shroud floats at the moment, because the 7" glass lens is supposed to hold it in place. From different angles:

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Turning to the 3rd shroud piece now; which starts with an incomplete/implied hexagon next to the ES300, and turning into a curved piece that flows under the Micro DE and aux turn signal

Looks like the incomplete hexagon part is seated a bit too much on top of the ES300, when seen head-on like this:

Now that the panels around most other hexagon parts are painted black, the lack of "gap" between the incomplete hexagon on the 3rd shroud and the hexagon around the ES300 is quite noticeable (as seen above). Mark a line where the gap should be from ahead.

After bending the extra piece:

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    There's an acrylic ring that mounts on the 2nd shroud, that sits right in front of the Hella Micro DE's lens, as seen in this older picture.

Hopefully, aluminum tape can reflect enough to minimize heat damage on the acrylic ring. Tape is applied on the bottom and inner surface of the ring:

It gives off a bit of a shine like so:

I'm not applying the dichroic film like in the aux turn signal unit next to it, since the dichroic film may not withstand the halogen heat.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X