Clear All

• Bitter
    replied
    My NBU look fairly yellow. I love them!

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by 06BlkMax View Post
    Wow those 3800ks did get a lot whiter, but definitely to yellow for my liking.
    Well, the point behind the special order of 3800K is that it approaches the color of regular low beam halogen bulbs without resorting to any coating on the glass. I'm glad I bought them when they were available. I know most people go for white (with a hint of blue).

Here are closeup shots of the arc, lit by a circa 2011 Morimoto 3Five ballast. Alas, I didn't have the xb35 3800K at the time. In this group, the 85122 looks a bit bluer than the 3Five's 4300K imho. (Same camera settings @ 1/4000s exposure, ISO200, f/11 except f/14 for the 3000K)

Left to right: 4300K 5Five, 85122, 4300K 3Five, 3000K 3Five

Originally posted by 06BlkMax View Post
    The Philips are the same way, I had a pair of the Philips before, they were so piss Yellow I just gave them away.
    Hmm.. too bad I wasn't around to "recycle" them for you

Leave a comment:

• 06BlkMax
    replied
    Wow those 3800ks did get a lot whiter, but definitely to yellow for my liking. The Philips are the same way, I had a pair of the Philips before, they were so piss Yellow I just gave them away.

Sitting Behind That Beautiful Cutoff

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    ^
    About the 3800K's (i.e. the limited run xb35 ones from TRS 2 years ago); the pair I'm using seem to take a while to approach halogen color. After the first few seconds of the bulb reaching max brightness, looks like one has to wait at least a few minutes more for the color to become warmer.

Here's the Mini D2S 2.0 with the 3800K xb35 on top after waiting for quite some time, compared to the EvoX-R with 85122 on the bottom (of the headlight cluster). On the foglight cluster, the small unit is a "white" LED, and the bigger unit is a halogen h3 in Hella Micro DE fog projectors (which should be around 3700K).

But if seen minutes after reaching max brightness from startup, it seems just as white as the Philips 85122:

Leave a comment:

• Crossgolf
    replied
    I gave my 3800k bulbs to a friend who wants to try them in his motorcycle. I haven't used them since I upgraded to CBIs. The RX will remain the stock AFS features (that doesn't work right now but causes a flashing warning light) so I can't upgrade the original lowbeam. But I am thinking about some other features.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Squirrel POV

Squirrel pov shots

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Aux turn signal (in the 7" foglight housing), main turn signal (outer corner next to the lit EvoX-R), and sidemarker sequence:

An animated gif is probably better..

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by Crossgolf View Post
    I appreciate that. Thank you. This retrofit was more of a platform for DIY experiments; the added functionality of those aux city, aux turn, and halogen fogs are likely minimal as a daily driver.

Haven't seen your post in a while now. Sorry to hear about the H6 outback. Looking forward to the RX; did you still have the 3800K D2S bulbs?

As for the hexagons, I plan to incorporate this feature on the upper and lower grilles. But not now.

Leave a comment:

• Crossgolf
    replied
    Originally posted by satrya View Post
    Just two extra. One pair for the aux LED city lights. Another for the Hella Micro DE. The ES300 use the OE foglight switch & wiring. The aux turn signal is permanently connected to the OE turn signal wiring.

The biXenons use OE low/high beam switch, plus one 3-way switch to make only 1 pair respond to the OE switch.
    This retro came a long way. I really like the yellow covers. You pulled that off quit nice and it flows with the lines of the car. Now in complete action I also like the hexagon shaped shrouds in the fog lights. First I thought it wouldn't flow with headlight design but now it looks amazing.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by Bitter View Post
    How many switches do you have in that car?
    Just two extra. One pair for the aux LED city lights. Another for the Hella Micro DE. The ES300 use the OE foglight switch & wiring. The aux turn signal is permanently connected to the OE turn signal wiring.

The biXenons use OE low/high beam switch, plus one 3-way switch to make only 1 pair respond to the OE switch.

Leave a comment:

• Bitter
    replied
    How many switches do you have in that car?

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Trying again.

All off:

Aux city/parking light on:

Aux city & Micro DE fogs on:

Aux city & aux turn signal on:

Closeup of the 7" housing:

Night time; 3800K xb35 on Mini D2S 2.0 & halogen 55W H3 on Micro DE:

Night time; 85122 on EvoX-R & LED aux city:

Night time; EvoX-R & aux turn signal:

Leave a comment:

• csjoh
    replied
    Still can't see any pictures this side of the pond...

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
    Everything works now!
    Thx for confirming.

3800K D2S xb35 on the Mini D2S 2.0 in the headlight vs standard 55W H3 halogen on the Micro DE fogs in the 7" opening. While the 3800K's look halogen enough on its own, it looks almost blue in comparison to the halogen fogs. This is without any yellow or dichroic coating on the Micro DE nor the halogen bulbs.

Leave a comment:

• Haloruler64
    replied
    Everything works now!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X