X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
    Yeah when you said you couldn't find them in amber I was confused lol, I think they even come in switchback!
    I bought the white version from a seller on eBay. At the time, I don't see any other color offerings for that particular model. I see different variations of the "eagle eye" LED, but I went with that one because someone else posted promising results with those. I've bought random PnP LEDs before (mostly 194 type and turn signal types) and they're generally disappointing, especially the amber ones.

So, when I couldn't find an amber version of the white type I used, I expected to have to experiment with a different type, which may well be disappointing like before.

Originally posted by csjoh View Post
    Are those the LED bolts that (among others) Oznium sells?

I bought some warm white LED bolts from them that I intend to install as puddle lights, and I remember them having a lot of colour options.
    Ah, I didn't even check their site. Having done just that, it looks different. Yes, they have bolt type LEDs, but the shell construction / shape is not exactly the same as the one I got. And I'm glad I didn't know about Oznium's bolt shaped "eagle eye" LEDs; the prices are quite higher than the ones I got. Plus their pictures suggest that the intensity of the amber is noticeably less than the white.

Leave a comment:

• csjoh
    replied
    Are those the LED bolts that (among others) Oznium sells?

I bought some warm white LED bolts from them that I intend to install as puddle lights, and I remember them having a lot of colour options.

Leave a comment:

• gold94corolla
    replied
    Yeah when you said you couldn't find them in amber I was confused lol, I think they even come in switchback!

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Amber LED!

Found an amber version with the same 3W rating. I don't recall seeing them around when I bought the white ones. This type uses the same shell:

Comparison of the amber version (left, with the egg yolk -ish orange phosphor) vs the white version (right, with the yellow phosphor). Also, the 3 blue LED dots aren't as visible in the amber version.

Going to test these while the silicone sealant cures.

Hopefully, the intensity won't be as disappointing as amber LEDs I've tested before.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
    Yeah I'd vote for orange LED signals (not a filter)
    But I need to find one that matches the mounting point & space designed for the existing LEDs. One thing I'm not sure of is if any off the shelf amber LED that matches that shape will be bright enough. Most amber LEDs are not as bright as white LEDs of similar spec, correct?

Leave a comment:

• gold94corolla
    replied
    Yeah I'd vote for orange LED signals (not a filter)

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Aquarium sealant

Read somewhere in HIDP that there exists a silicone based sealant that doesn't cause haze. Supposedly, this aquarium sealant, although silicone based, is safe.

Obviously, I'm not using this to seal the glass lens to the housing, as I've used butyl rubber already. This will be used to fill any gaps around the housing and between the housing and backpanel:

A smell test of the silicone suggests that it contains the typical acid (acetic acid?) present in other silicone sealants I've used. I thought that's what makes silicone an undesirable material for sealing.

I guess this is one way to find out, whether the aquarium safe silicone is any different from other silicone sealants for the purpose of headlight retrofits...

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by Fstrsn View Post
    Ah, fair enough then.

In that case if you wanted to color match them I would just grab some clear orange hobby paint and paint the lens that they shine through.
    With the white LED, I suspect the amber output will be much dimmer behind an amber film. I believe the white LED's spectral density is not as even as the spectral density of a clear tungsten bulb. So, while the oem headlight uses a clear tungsten bulb behind amber covers and has very good amber brightness, putting amber covers ahead of the white LED may just result in a very dim amber output. I want the aux turn signal to enhance the conspicuity when turning.

This would however give you an orange appearance in the fog lights that is not there in the headlights.
    Such a film, if it doesn't adversely reduce the output intensity, could be placed behind the innermost lens. Then, the amber appearance will be hidden, just like how the diffuser hides the amber tungsten bulb in the headlights.

Would you be opposed to running a white turn signal?
    Not 100%, but from observing other vehicles on the road in different time of day and weather conditions, amber turn signal is a lot easier to spot. So, between all amber and all white with the same intensity, my choice will be all amber. But between a dim amber and bright white, my choice will be bright white. (By bright I don't mean exceeding the allowed brightness for turn signals of course)

For the retrofitted headlights, I actually switched from the oem clear tungsten bulbs to amber covered tungsten bulbs just so I can have an amber turn signal. But I can always swap the oem clear tungsten bulbs in the headlights, then the color would be closer to the LED aux turn signal. I don't think I want to go as far as getting the "xenon" blue-coated tungsten bulbs to match the LED color...

Leave a comment:

• Fstrsn
    replied
    Ah, fair enough then.

In that case if you wanted to color match them I would just grab some clear orange hobby paint and paint the lens that they shine through. This would however give you an orange appearance in the fog lights that is not there in the headlights.

Would you be opposed to running a white turn signal?

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    I believe for front turn signals they can be either amber or white. I prefer amber though. Can you just swap out the AUX LED for an amber one?
    The LEDs mount into the aux turn signal unit like so:

I'd have to find one that is compatible with that mounting fixture if I want to avoid having to refabricate the aux turn signal unit. When I compared similar sized LEDs, the white LEDs typically are brighter than the amber equivalent, so finding an amber replacement didn't seem like a promising option.

Leave a comment:

• Fstrsn
    replied
    I believe for front turn signals they can be either amber or white. I prefer amber though. Can you just swap out the AUX LED for an amber one?

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Any plans to have the turn signals be color matched?
    I considered that. Thanks for bringing that up.

From observing other vehicles in daytime, night time, and inclement weather, I'm leaning towards amber turn signals for both the main and the aux units. Amber seems more conspicuous than white in most conditions.

If I put an amber filter ahead of the white LED, I wouldn't be surprised that the available intensity in the amber spectra from the "white" LED is very minimal. That would mean a very dim amber output from the relatively decent white LED's intensity.

On the other hand, having the aux turn signal left at "white" with the main turn signal amber could hedge against weather / road conditions where one may be more visible than the other. To my knowledge, amber and white are both allowed as turn signal colors in north america.

Maybe I should take out the LEDs in the aux turn signal units and replace them with amber incandescent bulbs...

My main motivation for using LEDs for the aux turn signal is because I didn't want to draw too much additional current from the existing turn signal wiring. But I can always add a relay+harness just like the biXenons or the halogen fogs.

Leave a comment:

• Fstrsn
    replied
    Any plans to have the turn signals be color matched?

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Functional test

Confirming that the connectors & new wiring does as intended.

Aux LED DRL:

Aux LED turn signal, in conjunction with the amber incandescent turn signal in the headlights:

Catching the turn signal lighting with the aux DRL also turned on.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Bending the back panel's extra material to wrap around the box..
    Last edited by satrya; June 2nd, 2014, 11:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X