Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fstrsn View Post
    Very interesting.

So did you abandon the Iris idea with the radial lines for the 3rd shroud piece or have you just moved on for now?
    I haven't. I had a block of time where the cars don't need to be in the garage, so I used it to do some work with the metal saw. Most of the aluminum shroud work, including the 3rd piece, simply needed a regular paper scissors and a box cutter at best. I can do that indoors anytime.

It's gotten to the point where I need to finish the appearance of the bare LED unit before I can do more painting of the shrouds.

Plus, I like to go back and forth from one part to another. It allows me to sit on an idea and possibly explore a different one (or two). I'm trying to make this foglight retrofit a one pass job (i.e. not having to open it later because I come up with a compelling enough alternate idea; like I did with my headlights).
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

• Ah, I follow you. I'm more of the school where I get a rough idea of what I want and then modify it as I go through the build as opposed to jumping from aspect to aspect, that way I can keep a design element constant as opposed to constantly trying to balance all the separate aspects.

Originally posted by cthunder
      The more you mod your car the moodier it gets.
      Avalon Dual Lens | Rogue LED | Mori 3800K | Mori 3Five | H11 PnP LED

Comment

Ah, I follow you. I'm more of the school where I get a rough idea of what I want and then modify it as I go through the build as opposed to jumping from aspect to aspect, that way I can keep a design element constant as opposed to constantly trying to balance all the separate aspects.
        Yes. By going from one aspect to another, I have the opportunity to decide on one or more alternatives. That affords some level of iteration without having to complete multiple full prototypes. This retrofit is more of a journey than a destination. Getting feedback from other members (thank you) is a big part of it.

Comment

• Different lens

Not sure I want to use this 3-lens composite setup:

Going back to the headlights tie-in, there's this array of 3 LEDs I placed behind these LED diffusers:

Using one of those might work. The outer diameter fits the smaller acrylic tube I planned to use for the bare LED:

And then there's this half sphere acrylic cabochon I previously used for the headlight's turn signal, which was retired in my 2nd headlight retrofit:

The cabochon is a bit too large, so it sits flush with the larger acrylic tube. However, from most viewing angle, it magnifies the faceted LED diffuser like so:

Imho, this goes with the hexagonal theme, and provides some visual tie to the headlights at the same time. It may work better than the 3-cut-lens option.

Since the cabochon is too large, the outer perimeter needs to be cut. Here's the cabochon placed upside down, and under the larger acrylic tube. That's how much I will need to trim off to make the cabochon fit. I can go get a smaller cabochon, but since they are half spheres, the curvature of the smaller cabochon will look too artificial to pass as a projector lens.

Here's the surviving portion, masked in blue tape. Everything outside of that will need to be trimmed off.

The problem with working with non right angled clear surfaces is that the distortion makes visual alignment challenging. That blue tape looks like it covers the whole sphere, when viewed from the top.

Trimming while the cabochon is upside down is challenging, because the cabochon might wobble around.

Comment

• I would just use the ribbed lens that matches the ones you used in your headlight retro. They work from a function standpoint and tie the two together nicely.

Comment

I would just use the ribbed lens that matches the ones you used in your headlight retro. They work from a function standpoint and tie the two together nicely.
              You mean this flat one:

I suppose so. But since the hexagonal shroud on the foglight ties the 3 units around the ES300 together, I thought the flat surface seem different enough from the others.

With the additional acrylic ring around the Micro DE, all 3 could look similar to each other. I guess that points to hiding a ribbed diffuser behind a cabochon, but as aux parking light, the faceted lens probably serves the function better.

One minor drawback to using the flat ribbed diffuser, is that I need to wait for a ~2+ weeks shipping to get them (I only have 1 left). Aside from the outer surface not having a projector lens -like curvature, I agree with you; they have a good tie-in to the headlights.

Comment

• Is there a suitable ribbed lens that you could use and be able to get your hands on faster?

Comment

Is there a suitable ribbed lens that you could use and be able to get your hands on faster?
                  The fastest ones are what I have from my previous retros. 1 flat ribbed diffuser, ~5 faceted diffuser (with black frame), and ~5 ribbed diffuser (with white frame):

I had more of the last type until I cut 4 of them to try the 3-segment lens. The flat ribbed diffuser came in a pack of 5. 2 went to the headlight's turn signal, and another 2 went to the other LED set in the foglight:

In the grand scheme of things, I'm not really in a hurry to finish this, given how long it has taken from the very start (this thread started ~8 months ago). On the other hand, as this is currently the critical path that prevents other parts from moving on, I'd have to justify sitting on it while waiting for new supply. Plus I want to try not to accumulate inventory, especially since I don't do retrofit jobs for anyone.

Comment

• Mmmm, if you're comfortable with waiting the ~2 weeks to get in the components to go forward with this then I'd stick with that and maybe putz around with more shroud concepts until you get them in.

Comment

• ^
                      True.
                      I suppose there's also the wiring + connector; but that's not interesting at all.

Comment

• Trying to downsize the cabochon

Just because it seems like an interesting challenge...

Instead of relying on the blue tape on the bottom of the cabochon, which is severely distorted from any other angle, I decided to try to fabricate a fixture so I can downsize the diameter of the cabochon in a reasonably even manner.

Two clear acrylic tubes, the smaller one fits exactly the inside diameter of the larger one. Also, the inside diameter of the larger one fits the original diameter of the cabochon lens (covered in blue tape). The inside diameter of the smaller tube is the desired final diameter I want to make the cabochon into. If I trimmed too much, then I will be able to see the inner diameter of the smaller tube.

Cut the smaller tube so that the height difference is approximately the amount of material I need to remove from the cabochon. Mask the reference height with 2 tapes, one above and one below:

Make a notch on the larger tube so that the imaginary line through the notch passes through the desired final diameter. The idea was to cut a hexagon or some multi sided shape on the cabochon, and then smooth the multi sided shape into a round circle with the desired final diameter.

An example of one cut. The hope is that as I rotate the cabochon, and using the same notch on the outer tube, I can cut more sides off the cabochon.

I later decided that it doesn't work too well. Instead, I cut off a section from the outer tube, and use the outer + inner tube fixture to constrain the cabochon. Clamp the tubes on a vise grip, put the cabochon in, and use a drum sander on my drill press. Move in with the drill press to remove a small amount of material at a time, while slowly rotating the cabochon to expose the entire perimeter. The tubes prevent the cabochon from moving out of alignment.

End result. That was an interesting exercise.

Comment

• Mock up shroud color scheme

A quick simulation of what the foglight would look like behind my current DIY foglight trim.

Shroud pieces unpainted:

Painted light smoke:

Painted gloss black (black features in the headlight are actually very dark smoked chrome, so these would be darker):

And just for fun, solar yellow:

It might fit with the bright yellow accents in the interior, but nothing outside matches that bright yellow at the moment.

Comment

• I always look at your updates but never post. But i finally must ask, what are you doing? There is sooooooooooo much going on Idk where to start
                            Originally posted by nine44
                            350 wit da wrist boy?

Comment

• Wonder what they'd look like black.

99 Dodge Durango SLT SelecTrac (NV242) 4WD 5.2L Magnum V8 Build Thread
                              FX-R Retrofit - Picture Thread

2014 Dodge Charger R/T Awd

Comment

• I definitely don't think you need any solar yellow accents on the outside of a yellow car lol

Comment

Working...
                                X