X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• satrya
    replied
    Comparing amber LEDs with a 3W vs 9W claim

I got a hold of another set of amber LEDs with a 9W claim instead of a 3W claim. The larger one below is the old one, at 3W, which has identical packaging as white LEDs I compared a few posts up. The smaller one is rated (actually, "claimed", since I'm not verifying the current draw for any of these) 9W. The older (& larger) 3W version I got either has a more translucent phosphor layer or has a thinner phosphor layer, in the sense that I can spot the 3 blue led emitter dots. In contrast, the 3 blue led dots are not as easily visible on the newer ( & smaller) 9W version.

Top view of the newer & smaller (9W) on the left, and the older & larger (3W) on the right. The thickness of the black enclosure is about the same, and the diameter of the threaded shaft of the new one is a bit thicker by about 1/32 inch. The new one uses a higher thread pitch, which is good I suppose.

One concern I have is that even if the new & smaller one has the same power rating as the larger one, the smaller amount of metal means there may be a higher heat concentration on the LED board. If the new one is 3 times the old one as claimed, then this heat issue might reduce the long term reliability of the LED.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by Fstrsn View Post
    Yup, definitely liking the amber more and more.

As far as visibility, I think you'll be fine. These are auxiliary after all.
    Perhaps.
    • 2 pairs of biXenons (EvoX-R & Mini D2S 2.0, with 3 way switch): check
    • 2 pairs of turn signals (incandescent amber in the headlights, LED amber in the "fogs"): check
    • 2 pairs of halogen fogs (~3000K ES300 & ~3700K Micro DE, with independent switches): check
    • 2 pairs of DRL (LED in the "fogs" and ... ): uh oh; only 1 pair!

Originally posted by csjoh View Post
    How does it look with the yellow fogs lit up as well?
    Good question. I'll have to figure out a bench test method for that. I just re soldered the amber LED into the wiring + connector designated for it. Now, all 4 units (aux turn, DRL, ES300, & Micro DE) don't have exposed leads I can easily connect to a power source. The respective pairs of the connectors are already wired in my vehicle. I may need to remove the headlights to temporarily pull some of the wiring out.

Leave a comment:

• csjoh
    replied
    How does it look with the yellow fogs lit up as well?

Leave a comment:

• Fstrsn
    replied
    Yup, definitely liking the amber more and more.

As far as visibility, I think you'll be fine. These are auxiliary after all.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Test amber LED at different angles

Testing the amber LED (for aux turn signal) at different angles. The upper pictures are taken with the camera setting at auto, and the lower pictures are at an underexposed setting (1/200 sec, f/20, ISO200). The underexposed picture help differentiate the reduction in intensity at the more extreme angles. Angles described below are from the vantage point of the light source, just like the headlight output photometric testing convention. The angles are approximate; I didn't measure them precisely.

Center & ~5 degrees up ( V, 5 U ). The 5 degree angle is to account for the fact that the housing will be placed very low on the ground.

At various angles towards the right side of the vehicle, right to left: 12:30 o'clock position ( 5U 10-15R ), 1 o'clock position ( 5U 25-30R ), 1:30 o'clock position( 5U 40-45R )

From the left side of the vehicle, left to right: 11:30 o'clock ( 5U 10-15L ), 11 o'clock ( 5U 25-30L ), 10:30 o'clock ( 5U 40-45L )

At the most extreme right & left angles tested ( 40-45R & 40-45L ), the LED from the opposite side of the vehicle would have been obstructed by the bumper cover &/ fog trim cover, so in effect, only the unit closest to that side (i.e. left unit when seen from 40-45L ) will be seen as emitting the light.

For a turn signal, this should be ok. For a hazard signal, it might look like a turn signal instead. I think that should be ok, as oem turn/hazard signals have that ambiguity as well.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Testing amber LED

Single 3W amber LED behind each aux turn signal units lit up. There is ambient daytime light from a nearby window to the right of the picture.

Window blinds closed.

Just like in the white LED case, the additional diffuser helps make the 1" LED look like a bigger light source, on par with the ES300 & Micro DE.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    I think the amber one you've got there should be more than bright enough for the purpose.
    I hope so. It will be for an auxiliary turn signal anyway, so I suppose as long as the intensity is within the allowed range, it doesn't hurt to have it.

Leave a comment:

• csjoh
    replied
    I think the amber one you've got there should be more than bright enough for the purpose.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Replacing the aux turn signal base mount method

The LEDs for the aux turn signal are currently designed to be serviceable via a twist lock mechanism like so:

The machine screw + nut on the smaller acrylic tube affixes the sheet metal LED mount, and doubles as a means to secure the LED to the bigger acrylic tube via the "L" notches on both sides.

Since the sheet metal also doubles as a rudimentary heatsink fin (granted, aluminum that thin would have very small heat capacitance..), I kept it as large as possible. This however, resulted in one unintended consequence. See the problem?

The sheet metal makes it almost impossible for the twist lock mechanism to rotate when it comes to time to service/replace the LEDs. Time for a redesign.

Since the 2nd LED seem to have contributed very little, I decided to go with 1 LED, and forego the twist lock mechanism. Instead, I'm using a simple friction approach. Bend two sheet metal like so; with a curvature that is slightly larger than the larger acrylic tube's inner diameter. This allows for an interference fit. The holes are for the LED.

Bend the center portion:

Add a spring-like mechanism by bending the side flaps, so that the nut in the back of the LED sees a constant compressive force. This helps minimize thread play that might loosen the nut over time.

So the simpler base goes in with the LED like so, and service/replacement should be easier.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by Mattrox1221 View Post
    I really like the amber one!
    I agree. My hope was to get amber LED for aux turn signal to begin with. It's just that the generic SMD types I've tried have been disappointing.

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
    Nice, yeah amber LEDs have come a long way in terms of brightness, they're pretty much on par with other colors at this point (unless you go oldschool LED)
    Apparently. I didn't expect there exist a phosphor formulation that can colorshift the blue LED that much into amber territory and still be visible. I'm glad it exceeded my expectations.

Leave a comment:

• gold94corolla
    replied
    Nice, yeah amber LEDs have come a long way in terms of brightness, they're pretty much on par with other colors at this point (unless you go oldschool LED)

Leave a comment:

• Mattrox1221
    replied
    I really like the amber one!

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    White vs amber PnP LED comparison.

Comparing the amber vs the white I had planned to use. Intensity of the amber seem less jarring, but from a distance (indoors), it looks like both are almost as noticeable.

Pictures are taken mostly under exposed. The white version looks very blue here, but not in person. My guess is a 5000K HID bulb will be quite close to the white one; or 6000K at most.

With divider to block light overlap, relatively low exposure (1/100 sec, ISO200, f/5).

Lower exposure (1/400sec, ISO200, f/4)

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Yes, well.. but how bright do you need them to be? If they are to be used as indicator lights, IMO they only need to be bright enough to be seen blinking during the day - at night they'll be seen anyway.
    Brighter than corner or sidemarker lights, but no brighter than oem turn signal. The turn signal on my aftermarket headlights aren't that much dimmer than others I spot on the road, but they are definitely dimmer than the originals, using the same spec tungsten bulbs. The oem headlight has a rather large portion of the housing dedicated to turn signal reflector (which a lot of people ironically paint flat black) compared to the aftermarket I'm using:

I've only bought the white ones as I only intend to use them as puddle lights, but they were plenty bright to leave me with pink elephants on my retinas for what felt like days (so, probably just a few minutes) after lighting them up. If the amber ones are half as bright, other drivers should have no problems at all seeing them during the day.
    I see. Either way, I'm going to give these a try. Thanks for bringing up an alternative (should I drag this retrofit even longer).

Leave a comment:

• csjoh
    replied
    Yes, well.. but how bright do you need them to be? If they are to be used as indicator lights, IMO they only need to be bright enough to be seen blinking during the day - at night they'll be seen anyway.

I've only bought the white ones as I only intend to use them as puddle lights, but they were plenty bright to leave me with pink elephants on my retinas for what felt like days (so, probably just a few minutes) after lighting them up. If the amber ones are half as bright, other drivers should have no problems at all seeing them during the day.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X