Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• satrya
    replied
    I plan to color match it, but not until the whole shape and mounting is resolved.

Leave a comment:

• Fstrsn
    replied
    I'd say nope.

Do you plan on leaving this cover black or are you gonna color match it?

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by csjoh View Post
    I just love how this build keeps going and going
    Thanks.

And in the spirit of keeping this build to never end by thinking of mundane things, there's this "ring" of blue from the painters tape around the foglight trim piece. It wasn't intended to mimic a particular color scheme, but it seems to work well with how the dichroic film on the foglight "shroud" appears. I wonder if adding that blue color around it works, in spite of the fact that there's no blue whatsoever in other parts of the car...

Leave a comment:

• csjoh
    replied
    I just love how this build keeps going and going

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by Fstrsn View Post
    I would vote oval pointing up then. Matching the curvature of the bumper IMO is more important than the orientation of the oval.
    I agree. Although the orientation of the oval also can dramatically alter the look; not that I've decided which one flows better.

Leave a comment:

• Fstrsn
    replied
    I would vote oval pointing up then. Matching the curvature of the bumper IMO is more important than the orientation of the oval.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Experimenting with the angle of the "oval" created by the foglight opening relative to the shape of the headlights. Left side (or first one, depending on the width of your browser), oval pointing down. Right side, oval pointing up.

From a standing observer:

From "opposing traffic" (same order; left is oval pointing down, right is oval pointing up):

In terms of the ABS piece conforming to the curvatures of the bumper cover, the oval pointing up is a better match.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Transfer the amount of recess that need to be retained from the paper mache to the ABS piece using permanent marker (on blue tape). Note the 3800K ambient lighting.

With a good amount of force, a simple light duty cutter can be used to trim the extra amount of recess:

Test fitting the amount of recess (should work since the paper mache was already trimmed to fit) and the amount of curvature on the edge of the bumper cover.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    From various angles.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    The piece I made years ago sits inside the foglight recess like so:

For the new one, the plan is to have something that follows the corner contour of the bumper cover a bit more, and hopefully doesn't have visible screws. The first piece above has 1 screw on the bottom outer edge, and 4 screws on top.

If the piece is to wrap around the bumper cover's corner, it will have to terminate somewhere. Going all the way towards the fender well (i.e. the opening for the tires) may be a bit much. One option is to terminate inside the 3 vents near the corner:

With some heat forming, the top and bottom areas of this bend might be made to fit the bumper cover. Moving from the front to the side, the top and bottom edges of the piece can rest on 2 ridges marked by the two, almost horizontal, green lines. The bottom edge will clear the brake duct vent on the bottom side of the bumper cover.

For context, here is the oem bumper cover as is.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Trimming the paper mache to figure out how much of the cone section to retain; gradual & small trims like these are much easier on the paper mache than on ABS plastic.

That's how much cone section (i.e. the part that recesses into the foglight opening) left to make it rest just on the surface of the 7" glass lens. I've only taped the top, so the bottom isn't touching the bumper cover yet. I've also marked off where the 3 vent profiles are on the oem bumper cover's corner (green marker).

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    ^
    I almost couldn't believe it myself.

Leave a comment:

• Fstrsn
    replied
    Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
    It's flashing for angled roofs (to accommodate PVC pluming vents)
    Mmmm, when I saw the other pic I recognized it. I just find it humorous that something so readily available fits this specific of an application.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
    Indeed.

Leave a comment:

• gold94corolla
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X