Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• satrya
    replied
    Some closeup shots; back and forth fitting and trimming the edges to hug the corner of the bumper cover:

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Since this edge faces up, it will be much more visible from a pedestrian's pov than the lower edge. In order for the edge to appear to hug the bumper cover's shape, the plastic piece is trimmed just over the highest point of the bend like so:

The hope is that it will result in a nicely rounded upper edge, instead of looking like a sheet of material has been tacked on to the bumper cover.

Continue cutting all the way to a piece that flares inwards. I'm not sure what I want to do with this, but it potentially allows the left and right sides to have a vent-like opening.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Transferring the fold line to the back using painters tape; I eyeballed back and forth between the outer side and this inner side to make sure the line provides a reasonable reference.

Because this was a fold across the entire span of the upper edge, I had to do the heat-and-bend process gradually. This is after several passes of the heat gun and small bends across the upper edge. At this point, every time the plastic is heated, it wants to return to the unfolded state.

I tried clamping an area that has been heated as I move to the neighboring area. See the "bite" marks a few inches up. That warping happens when there is too much heat. But the material settles to that new shape, and isn't as prone to relaxing back. The picture shows one edge having been re-heated and then clamped, before I move to the neighboring area on the other side of the warped fold.

It looks like this after many more cycles of heat-and-bend.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Not functionally necessary, no. But it looks incomplete without it.

Leave a comment:

• gold94corolla
    replied
    AH, so it's not necessary for the fogs, just kinda an extra thing you're doing.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Indeed. Most of the experiments I tried in this thread seem to have no point other than to test something I wanted to know firsthand.

Kidding aside, the 7" round oem foglights sit in this rectangular looking recess which seem to be a bit out of place imho. The retrofit housing I use is also 7", and sits at a similar yaw angle but about 1" more forward. Either way, it looks like this:

Previously, my solution was to use the same material without any shaping, to fit it completely within the recess.

There were a few things about it I wish were different:
    (1) The mounting bolts were a bit distracting, particularly the 2 sets of bolts above the round opening
    (2) The flat surface does't flow with the curved corner of the bumper cover

I figured since I'm on the topic of making something to cover the area around the 7" housing, I wanted to do a version 2.0 of what I did, with solutions that can change the 2 attributes above. I've seen some bumper covers that have very little visual feature around the corner that look good (particularly prodrive's), so I wanted to see if it is possible to combine some of these ideas together.

Leave a comment:

• gold94corolla
    replied
    I was thinking that you'd completely trim the flat "roof" section off and leave only the curved part, so that it would still have the original fog light shape.

Though I guess I never realized what the point of it was. I thought you were using regular fog lights housings that fit in your bumper as is?

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
    I hope you aren't going to leave any of that thing covering the bumper like that
    As in having the black piece placed ahead of the bumper cover? In my previous version, its sits well within the fog opening recess of the bumper cover. My thought is that I can reduce the lines & curves to even out the visual features with the rest of the front end.

Leave a comment:

• gold94corolla
    replied
    I hope you aren't going to leave any of that thing covering the bumper like that

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Bottom side trimmed and edges folded:

After a few back and forth of small adjustments in the bottom shape and the heat forming of the curve to match the bumper cover's edge; checking alignment of the top side to the reference to the blue tape on the bumper cover.

Now for the top side.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Trimming the bottom excess. Instead of trimming all across, I left a section on the edge, and folded it inwards. It took several gradual tries using the lowest setting of a heat gun and a pair of pliers.

The fold affords for a gap on one side closest to the center grille opening that I plan to use to vent air to cool the halogen projectors:

And a similar exit on the front fender side:

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    ^
    The foglights?
    I think the sentinels were more like the vertically stacked 2 sets of LS600h LED lenses into Lexus GS headlights (that makes a 2 by 3 lens pattern on each headlight). The hexagonal blocks at different heights here mimic the ends of basalt rocks.

My starting point was to replace the oem reflector foglights with the Hella Micro DE halogen projector fogs. This was after testing both during winter in a nearby mountain area. If the Micro DE were any bigger, I would've settled with just replacing the oem 7" with them, and that's it.

Leave a comment:

• sevenism
    replied
    lol dude your lights remind me of the sentinels from the matrix

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Place the ABS piece in the right orientation

And then eyeball where the "horizontal" lines are on the ABS piece. The areas taped on the ABS will remain unchanged. The upper and lower boundaries will be either cut or bent.

The top boundary might need a bit of adjustment:

Maybe like so:

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Test fitting upper and lower reference lines for the fog trim piece. The upper and lower edges of the piece need to sit at a local high point on the bumper cover in order to make it look as snugly fit as possible.

Unfortunately, the local high points on the upper side curves down a bit at the corner, where the foglight opening feature gradually transitions to the 3 vents on the side:

It isn't that obvious from some angles:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X