No announcement yet.

7" retrofit (GDAA WRX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project the low and high points onto the virtual bumper template. This template is for the right hand side opening as indicated; circle with a dot means this side of the surface points towards the direction of travel. That way I don't mix up the orientation of the bumper template and end up fabricating parts facing the wrong way (e.g. backwards, upside down, etc.)

Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

i retrofitted some Ford Fusion fogs inside my 2001 outback Fog Lights, came out pretty nice. Sorry to thread jack.

Comment

I agree with you about the price, I am just not sure that the placing a lamp that is not designed to be mounted at that angle is going to fit as well as one that is, is all. I share your enthusiasm for making things work that should not, as well as taking possibly a more difficult road to get exactly what I want for as cheap as possible. Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by Pig In A Poke View Post
          I agree with you about the price, I am just not sure that the placing a lamp that is not designed to be mounted at that angle is going to fit as well as one that is, is all. I share your enthusiasm for making things work that should not, as well as taking possibly a more difficult road to get exactly what I want for as cheap as possible. Good Luck
          Thanks.
          I value the journey as much as the destination when it comes to retrofit. It may end up being too time consuming, but at least it didn't cost me that much capital investment.

We'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by Afol2524 View Post
            i retrofitted some Ford Fusion fogs inside my 2001 outback Fog Lights, came out pretty nice. Sorry to thread jack.
            Not at all. Good perspective. I somewhat visualized that it would look like that. I just thought since I have to open the donor housing, it seems a pity to not use all the extra space around the Micro DE (or Fusion fogs in your case) and gain some other functionality.

Curious, on the second picture, it appears that the original reflector gets some light. Did you drill holes on the fusion fog housing so it bleeds some light onto the original reflector? Or was it just light bouncing back from the beveled parts of the bumper cover trim?

Did you consider putting 2 units in each housing?

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
              Not at all. Good perspective. I somewhat visualized that it would look like that. I just thought since I have to open the donor housing, it seems a pity to not use all the extra space around the Micro DE (or Fusion fogs in your case) and gain some other functionality.

Curious, on the second picture, it appears that the original reflector gets some light. Did you drill holes on the fusion fog housing so it bleeds some light onto the original reflector? Or was it just light bouncing back from the beveled parts of the bumper cover trim?

Did you consider putting 2 units in each housing?
              The light is just reflecting. causing it to shine in the housing, at first i didnt like it, but i got used to it and gives it a sort of accent light. and no i never considered two, the size of the fusion fogs behind the lens gets kind of large, so in my application 2 would not fit.

Comment

What if you cut the clear lens off without any of the sides, so it's flat like a CD, and replace the stock lens with it so you can keep the angle? Forming the 2 together is the only problem I see, I wouldn't know how to make it look good and waterproof.

I also don't have any ideas for how to make it look special like your head lights, just as long as they aren't chrome!

Comment

^
                  Interesting idea. I forgot to mention that I like to keep my mods reversible to oem. So, unless I buy a second pair of oem fogs, I don't think I want to alter the oem fogs. By the way, the oem fog lens are actually clear; the hazy appearance is just because the yellow stained glass applied ~10 years ago have hazed quite badly. But it only hazes the clear film I applied onto it. Peeling the clear film will net me a clear glass lens on the oem fogs.

As for making it look special, I suppose with the appropriate amount of procrastination, anything is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Afol2524 View Post
                    The light is just reflecting. causing it to shine in the housing, at first i didnt like it, but i got used to it and gives it a sort of accent light. and no i never considered two, the size of the fusion fogs behind the lens gets kind of large, so in my application 2 would not fit.
                    I see. I assume the fusion fogs mount permanently on the oem reflector, much like most headlight retrofit mounting techniques that retain yaw and pitch adjustability by latching onto the oem reflector?

I won't be able to use that method since the donor housing doesn't have separate reflector (which is adjustable) and housing. Also, I still hope to be able to tilt the housing to reproduce the oem's yaw angle.

Hmm... maybe getting oem replica fogs as donor housing is easier after all.

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
                      Hmm... maybe getting oem replica fogs as donor housing is easier after all.
                      This has always been the route I have chosen, or purchased used oem items.

Comment

Ever think about using the fog light covers/blanks and just having an opening in them for projectors to poke out of? May be much easier if you're not digging the empty space left behind in a 7" housing. Could also take car of the angle problem if you mount it to the stock mounting points.

Comment

Simple option 1

One simple option is to mount the Micro DE directly on the oem foglight opening, and add some decorative garnish that might make it not look too out of place.

I made this foglight trim years ago, which is meant to cover the gap between the oem foglights and the bumper cover. It starts from a piece that looks like this. Anyone seen this piece?

You cut it as outlined here

Notice the natural angle that matches very closely to the oem fog's yaw angle

Add mounting tabs like so:

Use one of the oem fog's mounting points to place a metal bracket like so

Install the foglight trim by inserting the 2 tabs like so

And secure the trim

Before and after:

With the Micro DE, it looks something like this (it's quite beat up given how long it's been around):

Comment

I'm curious but why did you pick the Hella micro DE over the Fusion fog? I don't know if you've seen it, but the Fusion fogs have spectacular (and INCREDIBLY wide output) with halogen bulbs as well. That's definitely one thing i REALLY miss about my Fusion..
                            2012 Volkswagen Golf R. 2016 Ford Fiesta ST

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by wireless View Post
                              I'm curious but why did you pick the Hella micro DE over the Fusion fog? I don't know if you've seen it, but the Fusion fogs have spectacular (and INCREDIBLY wide output) with halogen bulbs as well. That's definitely one thing i REALLY miss about my Fusion..
                              I forgot exactly why. I've bought the Micro DEs for a while now, and used it briefly last winter in the snow. Wall shots of the fusion do seem nice, but I don't know whether I'm experienced enough to compare the relative strengths and weaknesses of the two.

I think I was convinced to choose the Micro DE over blazer fogs, but I don't recall seeing a lot of fusion fog thread back then. I guess I can consider trying some fusion fogs, but that means stockpiling more retrofit parts.

If I want to consider that, I'd probably want to learn a bit more from an industry insider (Bosch, Hella, Koito, Valeo?). Not very likely, since each company probably keeps their trade secrets closely guarded.

Comment

Option 2

Options...

There's this halogen low beam projector that came with my Junyan aftermarket headlights. With ribbed lens from dealextreme, it might make for a decent wide beam. Here it is next to the Micro DE:

This is the output using the ribbed lens, and the H1 halogen bulb that came with it. Same camera settings as before. There's less intensity near the cutoff line; spreading the light a bit more to the sides and foreground.

Micro DE output on the same post for comparison:

Comment

Working...
                                X