Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• satrya
    replied
    The wooden piece fits in by interference fit (think of a wine cork), where it is stiff enough to support the vertical load of the aluminum bar and the black plastic fog trim piece on that side, but soft enough to be able to wedge-fit itself into the vent opening. The wooden piece leaves a bit of a gap on top.

The angle where the picture above was taken makes it look like the wooden block is too small, but the apparent clearance on the side is because the inner vent shape of the bumper cover tapers in. At this point, the wooden piece fits snugly in.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Vertical load support

Now to build a vertical load support for the aluminum bar as its "fork tip" rests inside a vent on the corner of the bumper cover. I decided to use spare 2x4 material, cut and filed to shape.

The vent opening is somewhat curved, and after some back and forth filing and measuring, the piece looks like this:

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by Fstrsn View Post
    Sound's like you're on the right track. Although I don't know how secure that spring clip is going to be.
    I don't either. The spring clip is just there so that the aluminum bar's fork doesn't exert too much of a concentrated pressure to the painted surface of the bumper cover.

As far as I can see, the bigger deal in terms of secure mounting is the inlet side (close to the centerline of the car).

Leave a comment:

• Fstrsn
    replied
    Sound's like you're on the right track. Although I don't know how secure that spring clip is going to be.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    How the aluminum bar is secured on the side

Since the bumper cover is made of plastic, I made this scratch shield from sheet aluminum, bent around to form a removable clip that can protect the bumper cover.

The scratch shield installs onto the topmost of the 3 vents on the side of the bumper cover (see upper left of the picture). The aluminum bar sits like this relative to the bumper cover:

The fork goes into the vent that has the scratch shield installed like so:

And the aluminum bar would "wrap" around the corner like so:

The bumper cover's contour (both in the left-to-right curvature and up-to-down curvature sense) along the direction of the aluminum bar is quite more complex than I had hoped for, so there are a lot of potential areas where the black plastic piece may not "hug" the contour as easily.

We'll see.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Aluminum bar for securing the top edge

Yet another experiment.

I'm going to see if this can work to both maintain the proper curve on the black plastic piece as it hugs the corner of the bumper cover, and at the same time hold it together so it doesn't get blown by the air flowing behind it (to cool the foglight housing).

I took a random piece of transparent plastic (on the left edge of the picture below), and traced it along the corner of the bumper cover (with the green marker). I then transferred that "template" onto a piece of an aluminum L bracket. Most of the bottom of the "L" is trimmed off, leaving 3 tabs like so. The 2 middle tabs will be used to attach it into the foglight opening. The fork like tab on the far right will be used to hook itself to one of the openings on the side of the bumper cover (more on this later).

The aluminum bar was carefully bent to match the bumper cover's corner curvature. Tentatively, it will sit like this relative to the black plastic piece:

I hope the top part of the black plastic piece can be secured by this aluminum bar, which in turn needs to be rigidly (but not irreversibly removable) secured to the bumper cover.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Is it possible to fabricate some clips that attach to the fog light opening and have it snap in?
    Yes, that would be ideal. In my older version, I completely mimicked how an optional oem foglight cover (which completely obscures the foglights and the entire recessed area of the bumper cover where the foglights sit) mount. The top one takes advantage of pre existing slots like so:

In which I took advantage by mounting two metal tabs on the plastic trim cover like so:

So that the trim piece slots in on the top side:

And the bottom sees an extended bracket from one of the foglight's mounting point:

So that the trim piece can be held together by the 2 tabs above and this lone screw:

I could do the same with the new trim piece, and figure out a way not to have those 4 screws (that secure the metal tabs) be visible. That would be a minor modification to the trim piece version I made 10 years ago (pictures above).

But in the spirit of making things more complicated, I wanted to extend the reach of the foglight trim piece. Where staying within the confines of the bumper cover recess like before permitted a flat trim piece, extending the reach beyond it would require a curved trim piece. I thought this would make it more challenging. The two pictures below show the difference in how far recessed the older one is, and how much more curved and wider the new one is.

This extends the extreme edges of the trim beyond the reach of the 2 slots previously used for the 2 tabs on top and the screw on the bottom.

To make matters worse, I wanted to have an inlet and outlet to allow some air to cool the metal shell of my DIY foglight housing, since the foglights run on 55W halogen bulbs. That means the edges better be secured tight enough lest it fly off at speed.

Also, I don't want to make permanent holes on the bumper cover. Any change has to be reversible to OEM state. So, no fasteners mounted on the bumper cover.

Leave a comment:

• Fstrsn
    replied
    Ah, ok, nevermind then. . .

Hmmm. . .

Is it possible to fabricate some clips that attach to the fog light opening and have it snap in?

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    The only thing I can think of is to remove the bumper cover and attach the fog trim the backside somehow. Assuming the bumper can be removed independent of the fog's.
    But the trim is in front of the foglights, and the trim's opening is smaller than the size of the foglights. Think of the trim as a complete foglight cover with a small opening to show about 6" out of the 7" foglight lens. The sequence has to be bumper cover -- foglight -- trim piece. It is quite different from how most foglights mount on other vehicles (i.e. from inside the bumper cover).

Leave a comment:

• Fstrsn
    replied
    The only thing I can think of is to remove the bumper cover and attach the fog trim the backside somehow. Assuming the bumper can be removed independent of the fog's.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    How does the whole assembly, (bumper, fog's, and trim piece) attach together? Do you need to remove the bumper to mount the fogs?
    No need to remove the bumper cover.

(1) The bumper cover (that plastic oem body-colored piece) mounts to the frame / front clip.

(2) There is a 7" somewhat rectangular recess on each side of the bumper cover, painted black.

(3) Behind it, there is a metal plate with threaded holes.
    (no picture)

(4) The oem foglights (and my replacement) comes in from the outside, has mounting tabs with 3 holes, which allows machine screws to fasten the foglights through the rectangular recess. The metal plate's thread holds the screws (and hence holds the foglights) together.
    (oem foglight's mounting tabs)

(my version; the holes are at the same relative position as the oem)

(5) The trim piece (both my version and an oem that is more of a complete foglight cover) mounts from outside, and sits "in front of" the foglight lens.
    (showing an as-is picture to the left, and with an older DIY cover that sits in the same area as oem foglight cover to the right)

(5a) The oem foglight cover merely stays within the area of the recess, and is mounted via 1 screw on the bottom (that extends one of the screws used to mount the foglights) and 2 tabs on top.
    (one screw on the bottom, and 2 tabs above)

(5b) I'm trying to get my version to go beyond the recess area. But I'd like it to hide any hints of mounting hardware as much as possible.
    (trying to extend to the left and right of previous version)

Leave a comment:

• gold94corolla
    replied
    I got 4 hours of sleep now, not that it helped

Leave a comment:

• Fstrsn
    replied
    Originally posted by satrya View Post
    Nothing so far. I'm stuck on figuring out the best way to mount the trim around the foglights.

I saw. That's quite an extensive mod overall. That front grille is one of the option parts for the JDM STi version isn't it? I remember looking at some option parts for my SG forester many years ago.
    How does the whole assembly, (bumper, fog's, and trim piece) attach together? Do you need to remove the bumper to mount the fogs?

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
    OK yeah I was thinking of something different, and now it makes no sense. Never mind lol
    Lol, Gold, go to sleep.

Leave a comment:

• gold94corolla
    replied
    OK yeah I was thinking of something different, and now it makes no sense. Never mind lol

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
    For Satrya, the destination is the journey!
    You mean, the journey is the destination?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X