Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• satrya
    replied
    The slow process of incrementally trimming the edges of the black plastic to fit; both left and right side pieces:

With most blue tape removed, and leaving just 2 strips to "mount" the pieces:

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by Ilikecars View Post
    So how do you plan on doing the aligning with everything as crazy as it is
    The aux turn and aux parking light have a very diffuse and almost uniform beam pattern, although I slightly flattened it to spread horizontally. Those are fine with the alignment I've set them to.

The ES300 fogs and the Micro DE has to be aligned in a painful process of mount (the whole assembly), test, note the discrepancy, unmount (the whole assembly), open the back, bend one of the metal frame arms to the right direction, close the back, seal the back, and repeat.

The one good thing is that those are foglights, with somewhat diffuse cutoff and short range (by definition), so pitch alignment is not as sensitive as low beams imho.

Originally posted by Fstrsn View Post
    I think you may be on to something with v2.0 of the shroud.
    I suppose. I'm still partial for the initial idea of the cover wrapping around the edge of the bumper cover.

Leave a comment:

• Fstrsn
    replied
    I think you may be on to something with v2.0 of the shroud.

Leave a comment:

• Ilikecars
    replied
    So how do you plan on doing the aligning with everything as crazy as it is

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by Ilikecars View Post
    This thread is 70 pages and still not done? Lol
    Cause the retrofit is more of a means for me to experiment with things. The many pages show the different directions and small details that I've tried and subsequently abandoned. The journey is my destination.

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
    Been a while since an update
    Yes. Business travel has been crazy. Plus I've tried many different subtle details on getting the black plastic piece to wrap around the edge of the bumper cover while at the same time hug it tightly enough. I wanted a removable solution that keeps the oem bumper cover unmodified, so that leaves out mounting screws directly on the bumper cover.

Leave a comment:

• gold94corolla
    replied
    Been a while since an update

Leave a comment:

• Ilikecars
    replied
    This thread is 70 pages and still not done? Lol

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Transferring the new edges of the paper mache onto the black plastic piece:

Thanks to the paper mache, no erroneous cuts were made. Here it is held up by tape.

Proper mounting method is to be determined.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Slight change in direction

It looks like the aluminum bar wouldn't be able to exert enough bending moment onto the extreme ends of the black plastic. Air pressure build up on the front side of the bumper cover might pry the plastic off altogether.

Time to consider a smaller piece, but unlike the first version, is not 100% flat. In order not to make irreversible mistakes trimming the plastic piece, as usual, a paper mache copy is used. Here it is after trimming it off considerably so one edge doesn't go over the edge of the bumper cover:

Contrast this to the initial plan of making it wrap around the edge:

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Cutting a template for 2 tabs that will hold the aluminum bar in place, but will still make the bar easy to remove.

It goes in like so..

Since the location of the slots for the 2 tabs are about 1" deeper into the bumper cover's recess than the location of the aluminum bar, the material that contains the tabs will need to make at least one 90-degree-bend to join the aluminum bar. Since the thickness of the tab is limited by the thickness of the slots, I didn't want to use a single sheet metal without reinforcement. Instead, I'm going to see if a rectangular bar can be used as reinforcement.

Cutting an aluminum rectangular bar to the proper length (that spans the 2 tabs):

Due to the curvature of the "ceiling" in the bumper cover recess, a bit on the left side needs to be trimmed off as marked above.

Trimmed and filed to remove burrs:

Now the rectangular bar can keep the proper roll orientation of the aluminum bar (not shown):

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Painted the wooden "cork" as close to body panel paint as possible. I wanted to minimize the chance of the cork from rotting over time, and if it marrs the body panel paint, at least it does so with a similar color.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Replicating the aluminum bar

While thinking of ideas to make use of the 2 slots in the bumper cover, might as well do something else.

Replicating the aluminum bar for the other side;

Raw material:

Duplicate copy for the driver's side, after cut to shape, and edges filed off.

Going back and forth to place it in front of the bumper cover to match the curvature. The result should be a mirror copy of the passenger side's.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Now to figure out how to attach the middle portion.

.. so that the 2 slots at the top of the oem bumper cover can be used to secure the aluminum bar.

But it needs to be a latching mechanism instead of being bolted on, as that location will be completely obscured when the black plastic trim piece is installed.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Marking the backside of the wooden pieces so I don't mix them up or mount them incorrectly.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Test fit of wooden piece + aluminum bar

The aluminum bar's fork tip goes in like so:

And then, the aluminum bar is turned this way onwards to the bumper cover surface:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X