Clear All

• gold94corolla
    replied
    lol, yeah even the Borg "sleep" AKA regenerate

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
    lol, I am not Borg, I get 2-3 hours of sleep a night during the week, then catch up on Saturday with like 10 hours lol
    Some sleep does not equate to not Borg btw

The 3M tape automotive tape is really good, it is used professionally to hold on lip kit pieces, window visors, spoilers, etc.
    I've heard that, but never felt like taking the gamble myself. Lip spoiler might be ok, I guess, but not bigger ones.

Leave a comment:

• gold94corolla
    replied
    lol, I am not Borg, I get 2-3 hours of sleep a night during the week, then catch up on Saturday with like 10 hours lol

The 3M tape automotive tape is really good, it is used professionally to hold on lip kit pieces, window visors, spoilers, etc.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    ^
    I see. I've only used automotive grade double sided tape as a secondary insurance, not a primary means of fastening. Maybe I'll add double sided tape for this project as well.

Leave a comment:

• phantom240
    replied
    Originally posted by satrya View Post

True, but I'd be afraid if the adhesive fails due to some temperature &/ humidity cycling
    I can assure you that all the temp and humidity cycles won't bother the 3M gray double sided tape the sell at auto parts stores. It holds the eyelids on my headlights.... and won't come off without a heat gun, unless I want to crack the fiberglass eyelids, which I've done.

That's not to say I'm pushing for it, I'm just saying that in the future, as long as your surfaces are clean and oil free, the stuff does it's job well. I prefer hardware to adhesives though.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    New covering is looking much better
    Originally posted by Fstrsn View Post
    +1
    Interesting. I guess my having seen the Prodrive fog cover all these years have biased my opinion towards having something that covers those 3 vent holes.

Nothing a heat gun can't solve for removal, lol.
    True, but I'd be afraid if the adhesive fails due to some temperature &/ humidity cycling

And, Gold, when the hell do you sleep?!
    Have you heard of borg?

Leave a comment:

• Fstrsn
    replied

I lean towards mechanical fastening as opposed to surface-to-surface bonding approach. Much easier to remove and re mount imho.

Since the size is quite smaller, there are areas near the foglight opening of the bumper cover that I may be able to use.
    Nothing a heat gun can't solve for removal, lol.

+1

And, Gold, when the hell do you sleep?!

Leave a comment:

• gold94corolla
    replied

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Mhm, I remember that. How do you plan on affixing this new version?
    Originally posted by phantom240 View Post
    inb4 3m double sided tape.

I lean towards mechanical fastening as opposed to surface-to-surface bonding approach. Much easier to remove and re mount imho.

Since the size is quite smaller, there are areas near the foglight opening of the bumper cover that I may be able to use.

Leave a comment:

• phantom240
    replied
    inb4 3m double sided tape.

Leave a comment:

• Fstrsn
    replied
    I see.

My other reason for wanting to try the curved piece is that I've never made curved ABS piece before. Obviously with the latest direction, I have to concede that the only way to make the curved piece work is to bolt the edges to the bumper cover, much like the Prodrive version. But I didn't want to have any new holes drilled on the oem bumper cover.

I thought the curved aluminum bars would allow me to overcome that restriction. But it didn't.
    Mhm, I remember that. How do you plan on affixing this new version?

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    I see.

My other reason for wanting to try the curved piece is that I've never made curved ABS piece before. Obviously with the latest direction, I have to concede that the only way to make the curved piece work is to bolt the edges to the bumper cover, much like the Prodrive version. But I didn't want to have any new holes drilled on the oem bumper cover.

I thought the curved aluminum bars would allow me to overcome that restriction. But it didn't.

Leave a comment:

• Fstrsn
    replied
    Mmmmm, I still like your version 2.0 better, lol.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    I like how this version sit's inside the bumper and doesn't interrupt the aesthetic lines.
    I somehow liked how covering the edge hides the 3 vents on the side; the shape & size of the vents seem different enough from other openings on the front end. There's an OEM option grille that works with the 3 vents, but not with the one I use.

Here's a Prodrive bumper cover with its foglight cover piece; the bumper cover is not exactly the same, but replacing the 3 vents with a smooth panel seem to look good imho. I realize my intended version isn't identical.

Example picture from:
    http://www.grahamberry2.co.jp/stock/...ive_Style_GDB/

Leave a comment:

• Fstrsn
    replied

I suppose. I'm still partial for the initial idea of the cover wrapping around the edge of the bumper cover.
    I like how this version sit's inside the bumper and doesn't interrupt the aesthetic lines.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X