• Show
Clear All

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
    Does that come with butter?

Originally posted by Bitter View Post
    He's like an Austrian clock maker...
    I thought clocks are associated with Switzerland? Or maybe Shenzen?

Leave a comment:

• Bitter
    replied
    He's like an Austrian clock maker...

Leave a comment:

• gold94corolla
    replied

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Made a pair of mounting hardware to secure the black plastic piece on the inner bottom side. I took advantage of a vertical slot opening in the bumper cover. I could've just drilled the bumper cover, but I didn't want to impart visible & irreversible mods on my oem part (i.e. the stock bumper cover).

Details of the mounting hardware are here:
    http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...a-slot-opening

This is the conceptual look of the mounting hardware (using cardstock):

This is the finished mounting hardware (galvanized steel), before the 2 forward facing tabs are bent to accommodate a mounting screw for the black plastic piece.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    A shot of the larger hole for accessing the actual hole where the screw & nut will go to:

Wondering what to do with that bulge on the black plastic piece; It is formed because the plastic piece needs to bend slightly to follow the bumper cover's contour. It's not that obvious when seen from the outside, as it is usually somewhat hidden from a nearby pedestrian's pov:

I'll leave it alone for now.

Leave a comment:

• MGMTF
    replied
    Originally posted by satrya View Post
    Sounds good. With a 7" face, You can actually fit about 4 Hella Micro DE foglights, or 3 ES300 foglights. So, if you use low beam projectors, not that I advocate that for a true foglight, you may be able to fit 2 at most.

It may be easier to find a rally-style light pod so you can fit more:
    (from Tamiya's website http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/list/24car_5.htm)

There are some generic light pods for trucks iirc.
    I already have good size fogs on my truck haha. Also have ZKW projectors fogs and X5 LEDs to use. I will be starting a build thread for it in the next few weeks hopefully.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Pass through hole for mounting

Now to make mounting holes for the white bracket to attach to the black plastic trim.

To make it possible to place the nut and washer through, the hole on the upper part of the white bracket needs to be enlarged. The bottom hole on that same location remains the smaller size, which only lets the screw threads to pass through.

Do another one.

And mount the white bracket to the black plastic trim piece by mounting the screw upside down, and washers and nuts on top (through the enlarged hole on the upper part of the white bracket).

The outer side looks like this, with 2 screws somewhat visible:

But not as visible as my original version from ~10 years ago:

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    ^^^ wow no way, you seriously trimmed it like that? wow lol
    Yes. Nothing that a drill, a metal file, and a lot of manual labor can't do.

I realize many of the shapes and cuts are bad from a mass producability point of view. But since a big part of this DIY was to pretend to be a craftsman (which is quite different from my daily job), the more complicated, the better. Why else would I have bothered to try to trim 3 lenses into a faceted configuration, and then abandon it...

.. cause it seemed challenging.

Originally posted by MGMTF View Post
    This is crazy, now I just need to order a second set of fog housings for my truck so I can compete in quad fogness haha.
    Sounds good. With a 7" face, You can actually fit about 4 Hella Micro DE foglights, or 3 ES300 foglights. So, if you use low beam projectors, not that I advocate that for a true foglight, you may be able to fit 2 at most.

It may be easier to find a rally-style light pod so you can fit more:
    (from Tamiya's website http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/list/24car_5.htm)

There are some generic light pods for trucks iirc.

Leave a comment:

• MGMTF
    replied
    This is crazy, now I just need to order a second set of fog housings for my truck so I can compete in quad fogness haha.

Leave a comment:

• gold94corolla
    replied
    ^^^ wow no way, you seriously trimmed it like that? wow lol

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Meanwhile, in the Borg collective ...

Bracket for securing the upper tabs to the cover:

Two screws for each tab:

The other side interferes with the white bar, so it needs to be trimmed for the nut to come through:

Leave a comment:

• gold94corolla
    replied
    jelliousity is irrelevant
    it's a matter of differentiating between a single living being and a potential community to assimilate
    It's too late, I have already assimilated all of you into my collective.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    why, u jelly? lol
    jelliousity is irrelevant
    it's a matter of differentiating between a single living being and a potential community to assimilate

Leave a comment:

• gold94corolla
    replied
    Don't tell me you have a hive to dock to...
    why, u jelly? lol

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    lol, yeah even the Borg "sleep" AKA regenerate
    Don't tell me you have a hive to dock to...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X