Clear All

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
    Wow dude, wow. lol
    I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
    If you can close up that gap on top, I'd paint them yellow
    Yes, that gap. In spite of being careful with trimming and using paper mache prototypes, I ended up trimming a bit too much on top. I may have to resort to adding a fiberglass layer on the back that allows the top to extend upwards by about 2~3 mm. I didn't really want to involve fiberglass work though.

Leave a comment:

• gold94corolla
    replied
    Wow dude, wow. lol

If you can close up that gap on top, I'd paint them yellow

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by Ilikecars View Post
    Pictures are so small
    Sorry. I try not to attach large pictures when the message is the overall shape instead of the details. Post #753 was to illustrate the similarities in overall shape had the plastic piece be painted black.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Test alignment of plastic piece against 7" housing

Took a test alignment between the plastic piece and the 7" round housing:

The dichroic film strips add a subtle color to the 7" housing. I almost feel compelled to add something similar on the headlights; perhaps a thin ring around the e55r's lenses. Or at the bottom surface of the housing, which is currently plain chrome.

I had expected the outer edges of the 7" housing to be obscured by the plastic piece. But because the 7" housing is much deeper than the OEM 7" foglight housing, I had to trim quite a bit of the cone portion of the plastic piece, making the opening much larger than it was. As such, the edges of the 7" housing are now completely exposed. The edges of the hexagonal pattern, particularly on the upper outside, needs to be covered.

Leave a comment:

• Ilikecars
    replied
    Pictures are so small

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by Fstrsn View Post
    I was gonna say, I'd prefer it to be painted black, lol.
    Black does look nice. But the original opening is black in the first place; it feels like all that work for nothing then.

Original:

The plastic piece, in black (mocked up with blue tape for mounting):

Aside from the fact that the plastic piece covers a slightly larger area and sits in front of the foglights instead of behind, not much seems to have changed. Unless the plastic piece is painted body color.

Leave a comment:

• Fstrsn
    replied
    Originally posted by satrya View Post
    Not sure. I'll have to try both. Having it painted to match body color may require the pieces to be shaped more accurately. Painting it black may hide the imperfections. Appearance wise, I prefer it to match body color.
    I was gonna say, I'd prefer it to be painted black, lol.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by csjoh View Post
    Coming along nicely!

Are you going to paint the bezel or just leave it black?
    Not sure. I'll have to try both. Having it painted to match body color may require the pieces to be shaped more accurately. Painting it black may hide the imperfections. Appearance wise, I prefer it to match body color.

Leave a comment:

• csjoh
    replied
    Coming along nicely!

Are you going to paint the bezel or just leave it black?

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Measuring the mounting hole

Now to figure out where the hole on the black plastic piece needs to be...

First, I put a strip of tape approximately horizontally aligned to the mounting hole (that has the speed nut):

This strip of tape will be used to guide a second strip of tape that goes over the mounting hole. Transfer the hole onto the second strip:

Put the black plastic piece, press it against the bracket, and run the second strip of tape onto the plastic piece. Transfer the mark of the hole onto the black plastic piece. The first strip of tape helps the second tape with the hole retain the proper roll and pitch.

Drill once:

So the hole now lines up with the bracket behind it

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    ^
    That's nice. I don't recall seeing that in the hardware drawer at my nearby home depot or Lowe's

Leave a comment:

• Bitter
    replied

We have that deep throat and a regular throat, in both M6 and M8. They're super handy to have around when you need to replace a captured nut on something.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by phantom240 View Post
    Speed nuts are fantastic little bastards.
    Originally posted by Bitter View Post
    Yes they are. We have M6 and M8 threaded clips at work that I adore.
    Indeed. All else being equal, I'd rather use a thread die to allow more three pitches to engage. But with tight spaces like these, they are quite good.

Leave a comment:

• Bitter
    replied
    Yes they are. We have M6 and M8 threaded clips at work that I adore.

Leave a comment:

• phantom240
    replied
    Speed nuts are fantastic little bastards.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X