7" retrofit (GDAA WRX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Crossgolf View Post
    You had that WRX for 12 years? That is some SUBARU love right there.
    Yes, it's served as my daily commuter since April 2001 actually. It was the first year the WRX trim was available in north america; had to put in a deposit to be on a waiting list. I've owned 3 Subarus so far, none of them giving me any reliability issues. I like having the AWD when rain comes, or the occasional trip to the mountains or some dirt road.

Originally posted by Crossgolf View Post
    Are there additional brake lights under the spoiler? The picture on the very right hand side in your signature makes it look like it.
    There's the 3rd brake light built into the spoiler, which is oem. Strangely enough, since the spoiler was optional that year (unless one chooses yellow), they never removed the 3rd brake light at the base of the rear windshield. So the oem wiring triggers both 3rd brake lights.

But the yellow ones at the base of the spoiler is a DIY auxiliary turn signal. It is a part of a DIY wing riser I made, out of acrylic.

Looks like this in the middle of the process; many years ago (2003):
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

• Bottom lens brace

The 7" housing that functions more as a shroud needs to be mounted to the actual aluminum + galvanized steel brackets behind it. I wanted to have something I can easily duplicate so some of the tilt/orientation of the 7" housing relative to the brackets done on the passenger side can easily transfer to the driver side assembly.

I'm experimenting with a clear acrylic bar with a square cross section as one of the bottom lens brace. The bottom brace will only sustain either compressive or tensile force between the 7" housing and the metal brackets, so I don't need a terribly stiff material. The acrylic material is a bit easier to tune, in terms of repeatedly sanding off the ends to fit the back of the 7" housing.

First, a cardstock mock-up (the white thing next to the clear acrylic bar):

First trim. The "bar" needs to have a slanted cut on one side to fit the shape of the bowl.

As seen in the previous picture, the "bar" needs to be a bit taller. Adding some tape onto the mock up closes this gap (still need a bit more). The plan is once the fine tuning of the mock up with tape is done, the dimensions of the edges are transferred to the acrylic bar. For the driver's side, simply flip the mock-up cardstock to fold onto the opposite direction. The bar lines up with 2 pre existing holes on a galvanized steel bracket on the bottom.

Comment

• Originally posted by satrya View Post
        Yes, it's served as my daily commuter since April 2001 actually. It was the first year the WRX trim was available in north america; had to put in a deposit to be on a waiting list. I've owned 3 Subarus so far, none of them giving me any reliability issues. I like having the AWD when rain comes, or the occasional trip to the mountains or some dirt road.

There's the 3rd brake light built into the spoiler, which is oem. Strangely enough, since the spoiler was optional that year (unless one chooses yellow), they never removed the 3rd brake light at the base of the rear windshield. So the oem wiring triggers both 3rd brake lights.

But the yellow ones at the base of the spoiler is a DIY auxiliary turn signal. It is a part of a DIY wing riser I made, out of acrylic.

Looks like this in the middle of the process; many years ago (2003):
        That is a neat project. A cool feature. Four brake lights and four turn signals should look quite cool at night. Do you have a video of it?
        I always had a thing for the bugeye myself but I am also very happy with the Outback. Never let my down so far. I hope the new levorg comes to Germany. Seems to me like it is the best of the two worlds. http://www.subaru.jp/levorg/sp/
        Last edited by Crossgolf; November 21st, 2013, 02:40 PM.
        Subaru Outback retrofit:
        http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...aru-Outback-H6
        License plate lights with dual brightness:
        https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...hen-backing-up

Comment

Do you have a video of it?
          I always had a thing for the bugeye myself but I am also very happy with the Outback. Never let my down so far. I hope the new levorg comes to Germany. Seems to me like it is the best of the two worlds. http://www.subaru.jp/levorg/sp/
          The Outback is nice. Your particular year model has that interesting split cover for the low & high beam. I think the Levorg concept is essentially an Exiga, which is a stretched, 3 row Legacy (& Outback).

I think I'm ok with the brake lights, even if the manufacturer unplugged one of the 4. But I feel that adding an auxiliary turn signal is always a good thing, because sometimes other vehicles in adjacent lanes can be positioned such that they don't see the front or rear facing turn signals.

I have a video posted in the same directory I use to post pictures (in g+), but I don't know how to query the video's url.

Comment

• Acrylic bar for the right hand side

Make the acrylic bar for the right hand side based on the cardstock template. File to make sure the angle is as close to the template as possible:

Mask the new cut surface, so that the second oblique cut can be marked:

After the second oblique cut:

Test fit:

Comment

• Copy for the left hand side

Use the cardstock template from the right hand side, flip the folds the other way to make an inside out template for the left hand side. The inside out template, next to the finished left hand side:

Both sides finished.

Now, the acrylic bar provides the same constraint for both the left and right hand side 7" housings.

Comment

• Great work but damn that yellow paint look dull as hell

Comment

• ^
                  Thx. The body paint or the ES300's foglight lens?

The body paint hasn't faded. That's how it was when it came from factory; not "integra-type-R-yellow", but more like the pastel yellow of some Volvo, beetle, and PT Cruiser. The closest generic color spray paint I can find is called butter cream. Subaru of America called it "blaze yellow".

Comment

• Originally posted by satrya View Post
                    The Outback is nice. Your particular year model has that interesting split cover for the low & high beam. I think the Levorg concept is essentially an Exiga, which is a stretched, 3 row Legacy (& Outback).

I think I'm ok with the brake lights, even if the manufacturer unplugged one of the 4. But I feel that adding an auxiliary turn signal is always a good thing, because sometimes other vehicles in adjacent lanes can be positioned such that they don't see the front or rear facing turn signals.

I have a video posted in the same directory I use to post pictures (in g+), but I don't know how to query the video's url.
                    The video would be nice to see. maybe you can post it somwhre else.

I thought the levorg is closer to the new impreza/wrx that it is to the Legacy. Like a WRX wagon. That's what it looked like to me but I didn't read anything about it yet.

I am thinking about using some Legacy lights for my next retrofit because the split setup of the GT lights leaves very little space in the low beam section.
                    Subaru Outback retrofit:
                    http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...aru-Outback-H6
                    License plate lights with dual brightness:
                    https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...hen-backing-up

Comment

The video would be nice to see. maybe you can post it somwhre else.
                      Does this work:
                      http://youtu.be/cO7UQBWI5C4

I thought the levorg is closer to the new impreza/wrx that it is to the Legacy. Like a WRX wagon. That's what it looked like to me but I didn't read anything about it yet.
                      Design language wise perhaps. But the size looks to be more of an extension of the Legacy / Exiga platform imho.

I am thinking about using some Legacy lights for my next retrofit because the split setup of the GT lights leaves very little space in the low beam section.
                      Looking forward to the build. Maybe square lens (Mini D2S 3.0) can fit with the overall rectangular shape of the headlights.

Comment

• Transfer the cutout shape

I wanted to take advantage of the iterative trimming of the paper mache piece that represents the right hand side 7" housing. Too bad the paper mache isn't flexible enough to flip inside out (to be used for the other side).

A single layer cardstock + tape can be used to copy the opening in the trimmed paper mache:

Once copied, the template can be flipped inside out to be transferred to the other side:

Test the shape of the trimmed paper mache:

Transfer to the back of the 7" housing:
                        [img][/img]

It works.

Comment

• Drill the acrylic bar and 7" housing. Test to make sure the position of the housing still clears the opening in the front bumper cover.

Comment

• I probably missed it somewhere but what is the acrylic bar used for?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ahmad Kadado View Post
                              I probably missed it somewhere but what is the acrylic bar used for?
                              See pictures in post #191; the 7" housing is used only as a "shroud", whereas the Micro DE and ES300 foglights are actually mounted onto the custom bracket assembly behind it. Because I need to make sure the shroud doesn't bump onto the black plastic of the oem bumper cover (see last pic in post #192), I had oriented one of the 7" housing first. To transfer the orientation to the other side, and in order to keep the "shroud" in that position while I work on other parts on the table, I needed something to keep the shroud in the proper orientation. Otherwise, the shroud freely floats around.

Comment

• With the acrylic bar holding the 7" housing in place, the skin that will wrap around the bracket, is ready to be constructed. I use a combination of scrap paper and tape.

Ready to be used as a template.

Comment

Working...
                                X