X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by csjoh View Post
    I think that looks very good, and finished...
    Thanks. It does. From a distance.

Sounds like you might have a bad ground somewhere. The metal cage housing the fog light conglomerate, perhaps?
    Possibly. I tested the resistance across the opposite pins of the ES300, and from each of its pin to the custom metal housing as well as the Hella Micro DE pins. I get some short from the base of the H3 halogen bulb (which is one of the pins) to the ES300's metal bowl, to the DIY metal housing. The odd thing is that when the connectors of both the ES and DE are secured, but the DRL/aux turn connector aren't connected, I didn't see this issue. I may have to pull the assembly out and add a thin layer of insulation to insulate the bulb's metal base from the ES300 bowl.

Originally posted by Fstrsn View Post
    Hmmm, I like the color matched more than I thought I would.
    So do I. I think painting it black would make it look more aggressive. However, painting it yellow increases the apparent frontal surface area, which is nice. It looks friendlier imho. Not in a gen 1 dodge neon kind of friendly (not that there's anything wrong with that)

Originally posted by Fstrsn View Post
    Although I'm curious to see what you still have in store for this with it looking so close to completion.
    At least, I need to invest in a body color matching paint. I just cobbled up the yellow paint for the pieces right now by blending 2 generic spray cans on the fly, since I just wanted a general idea on how it looks. There are a few other design details that could be done differently. These won't show up in pictures similar to ones taken.

Leave a comment:

• Fstrsn
    replied
    Hmmm, I like the color matched more than I thought I would.

Although I'm curious to see what you still have in store for this with it looking so close to completion.

Leave a comment:

• csjoh
    replied
    I think that looks very good, and finished...

Sounds like you might have a bad ground somewhere. The metal cage housing the fog light conglomerate, perhaps?

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Functional testing...

Aux turn signal:

Forward facing foglights (Hella Micro DE halogen fogs on standard 55W H3 halogen bulbs):

DRL (or maybe aux city light):

For some reason, the fuse on my oem foglight wiring blew before I can test the side facing lights (ES300 fogs on standard 55W H3 halogen bulbs).

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Of course you aren't
    Of course not. Since it has taken since August 2013 until now, what's a few more months here and there. I may circle back and end up right here, but I need to explore a few more things.

Leave a comment:

• csjoh
    replied
    Originally posted by satrya View Post
    Thanks. I'm probably not done yet though.
    Of course you aren't

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    That looks ... OEM. Well done!
    Thanks. I'm probably not done yet though.

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
    I like that a LOT better, and the gap isn't even there anymore
    It hasn't changed actually. The previous picture was taken at a slightly lower elevation, so the bumper cover ridge right above it doesn't obscure the gap like in these pictures. In real life, one would have to squat right in front of the piece to see the gap. It is still conceptually bothersome though.

Leave a comment:

• gold94corolla
    replied
    I like that a LOT better, and the gap isn't even there anymore

Leave a comment:

• csjoh
    replied
    That looks ... OEM. Well done!

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Test color

No foglights in there; this is just to get some idea on having the plastic piece painted to match the body color.

I think I want to try the painted to match route.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by Ilikecars View Post
    Is that supposed to be yellow?
    Recall that the oem paint is not Type-R yellow. It's more of a buttercream like some of the R trim Volvo or the Pt Cruiser.

Leave a comment:

• Ilikecars
    replied
    Is that supposed to be yellow?

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    In its intended use, the visible surface of the plastic piece is actually not intended to be seen. As a result, it is full of injection molding lines and dots; probably from the sprue, runner, and gates of the pattern from the injection or ejector moulds. Whether painted to match body color or gloss black, these features have to go. Bottom piece shows the plastic piece after wetsanding; top piece still shows the original surface.

Test paint. It's not quite the OEM color code, but will make do for giving the notion of body color matched paint a test run...

The color isn't quite this pale; ambient lighting made my camera adjust it to this pale complexion for some reason.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Thanks.

Originally posted by phantom240 View Post
    Eh, not available as just a film, but rather as lenses/filters
    +1
    Those look like filter coatings that are built into the glass lens. If I could send my 7" glass lens to get that coating, that would be nice. I may not think that once I see the cost of such a one-off process.

Leave a comment:

• phantom240
    replied
    Eh, not available as just a film, but rather as lenses/filters

Leave a comment:

Working...
X