Leave a comment:

• csjoh
    replied
    Yesss, more updates

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    2nd try

I bought another set of "starting materials" for the plastic trim. Hopefully, this one can end up a bit better than the previous set. One of the things I want to do is to refine where the plastic trim meets the 7" housing lens and the edges of the oem bumper cover. The plastic piece ended up being bent around further from the paper mache prototype, resulting in the edges being slightly different than what the paper mache predicted. The parts to "extend" are marked by blue tape.

One of the new starting materials; with 2 alignment axes marked.

Do the same to the piece from the previous try (which I quick painted yellow).

Flip the previous piece over, and start transferring measurements to the new starting material.

It was a long tedious process of triangulating relative measurements from the previous piece to the new piece. What didn't help was that the previous piece already had subtle curves created by stretching and bending in 3D. This means that I expect additional fine trimming of the new piece once it has been stretched and bent to conform the oem bumper cover's curvature. For now, the new piece is marked with primary and secondary bend curves, cut lines, and notches where appropriate:

Next: repeat for the other side.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
    I thought the point of this project was to never end lol
    Well..

More like to appreciate the journey as much as the destination. I do want the destination as well.

Leave a comment:

• gold94corolla
    replied
    I thought the point of this project was to never end lol

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
    So what's next.... some kind of retrofit where those inner turn signal blanks are? lol
    I hope not. I want to keep the functionality identical to what it is now. Otherwise the project has no endgame.

Originally posted by csjoh View Post
    Looks good, but you got the angles all wrong
    It's 3D

Leave a comment:

• csjoh
    replied
    Looks good, but you got the angles all wrong

Leave a comment:

• gold94corolla
    replied
    So what's next.... some kind of retrofit where those inner turn signal blanks are? lol

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by Ilikecars View Post
    Omg they are on the car! Looks good, but are you worried about killing your alternator with all that light?
    They're installed for a few days just for functional testing. In general, I'll always make sure that there shall be no more than 2 pairs of forward facing light turned on. That's especially true for the 2 pairs of biXenons.

But I thought the power draw isn't much more than the OEM setup; the 9007 halogen low beams are about 55W each side, and the H3 halogen fogs are also 55W. In the past (before discovering HID retrofit), I've also concurrently ran halogen 35W H3 bulbs or 55W halogen bulbs. So that should be between 145 to 165W each side. If I deliberately use all of them now, it would be 2 x 35W for the biXenons, 2 x 55W for the 2 fogs, and 2 x 3W for the LEDs. That's 186W each side (assuming the power draw is equal to the bulb rating). Wouldn't MK's setup draw much more?

Leave a comment:

• Ilikecars
    replied
    Omg they are on the car! Looks good, but are you worried about killing your alternator with all that light?

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Some daylight color comparison.

Headlight: 3800K xb35 on top, 85122 D2S on bottom.
    Foglight: Single emitter LED on top, standard 55W H3 halogen on bottom.

The LEDs are much bluer than anything else; maybe the amber LED is better.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    No worries, we're good, as that means we'll get updates on your otherworldly build for another year. Do it!
    I guess that's one way to look at it.

But instead of a pandora's box, it could well be layers of raw onion outgassing.

Leave a comment:

• csjoh
    replied
    No worries, we're good, as that means we'll get updates on your otherworldly build for another year. Do it!

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    PlastiDip has insulating properties and may be good for this type of application...
    Good point, although I don't know if there will be some slight movement between the bulb base and the foglight housing that will distribute plastidip peel all over the bowl over time. Maybe that's an extremely unlikely scenario.

I'm gravitating towards completely taking the housing apart and isolating the ES300 housing altogether. But if I do that, I'm afraid I'll be tempted into doing something more extreme and completely do over the retrofit.

Opening the housing may as well be opening pandora's box.

Leave a comment:

• csjoh
    replied
    PlastiDip has insulating properties and may be good for this type of application...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X