Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• satrya
    replied
    A look back at when one side was just marked off before the start of heat bending vs another side that already went through the process. The curves on the edges look much flatter in the picture below..

A picture of the top edge of the plastic piece. The previous attempt (painted yellow) doesn't extend inwards as much compared to the newer attempt, and the edges are more like a fileted flat surface than a gradually curving surface. Hopefully, this will give the newer one a beefier look.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Top-bottom curvature

Heat gun time again. This time to make the top-bottom curvature. The amount of extra left-right curvature previously made will reduce a bit because of this. If done right, hopefully the left-right curvature will match the left-right curvature of the oem bumper cover after the top-bottom curvature is done.

Trim excess pieces and leave just enough past the desired amount of "edge" material so the pliers can grab onto a piece that will eventually be thrown away or unseen when done.

First pass of the top-bottom curvature. Bend the edges by hand, and then grab the extra edge with a pair of pliers to encourage sharper curvature close to the edge. Notice that the left-right curvature had straightened up quite a bit (since material has to flow somewhere).

At this point, unless the plastic piece is heated further, getting more "3D' deformation is nearly impossible without introducing wobbles or blisters. This is where those notches come in handy.

Now the same amount of heating can make the edge curve further like so...

The next steps are going back and forth between adding top-bottom curvature and left-right curvature to get the desired "3D" curvature. Pretty tedious; and nothing new from a picture pov.

Fingertips burning again... must... stop... now...

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    ^
    True

Leave a comment:

• gold94corolla
    replied
    just wanted to point it out since you were redoing it anyway

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
    This picture.

It was taken plenty far away....
    ^^^eh .................................................. .................................................. ^^^better
    I stand corrected.
    I like your metric by the way; "eh" and "better".

Leave a comment:

• gold94corolla
    replied
    This picture.

It was taken plenty far away....

^^^eh .................................................. .................................................. ^^^better

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    I recall in a previous picture that the other side didn't look as protruding as this side. I think just trimming the bottom to look better from that angle would help, without necessarily needing to reform anything. Just make it follow the bumper a little further in.
    Both sides are similar, and is more or less visible depending on the angle of the camera. I generally take these pictures quite close to the car instead of using a tele lens. It amplifies some of the bulbuousity (if there is such a word).

Originally posted by csjoh View Post
    Leather gloves ftw
    I use kevlar heat and cut resistant gloves. It gives me more tactile feedback. But they still transmit heat.

Leave a comment:

• csjoh
    replied
    Originally posted by satrya View Post
    And the heat-folding begins. The plastic piece as is, marked with the necessary bend and notch points. I found that with the heat gun I'm using, the low setting is all I need. The high setting puts too much uncontrolled heat and can warp the plastic piece too quickly.

First bend; follow the left-right curvature of the oem bumper corner:

Bend that area more than the oem bumper's left-right curvature to make up for the recovery when the up-down curvature is made later. Also, bend the inner area (i.e. towards the lower center grille opening) to add some memory to the material. This helps the cantilevered portions to "hug" onto the oem bumper cover. Hopefully this makes it not look a simple tack-on job.

And now the center portion. This makes the curvature on both left and right sides flow better, and makes the opening that will later touch the 7" glass lens surface look more circular than oval, making the trim piece opening transition from oval on the outer surface to circular once it contacts the glass lens.

Fingertips burning... must.. stop... now...
    Leather gloves ftw

Leave a comment:

• gold94corolla
    replied
    That "protrusion" in terms of the edge shape was dictated by the contour of the oem bumper cover, which "rolls downhill" as the bumper curves inward into the lower center grille opening. I'd have to shape the edge of the plastic piece differently somewhat, so as not to have that protrusion.
    I recall in a previous picture that the other side didn't look as protruding as this side. I think just trimming the bottom to look better from that angle would help, without necessarily needing to reform anything. Just make it follow the bumper a little further in.

And thanks

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Folds

And the heat-folding begins. The plastic piece as is, marked with the necessary bend and notch points. I found that with the heat gun I'm using, the low setting is all I need. The high setting puts too much uncontrolled heat and can warp the plastic piece too quickly.

First bend; follow the left-right curvature of the oem bumper corner:

Bend that area more than the oem bumper's left-right curvature to make up for the recovery when the up-down curvature is made later. Also, bend the inner area (i.e. towards the lower center grille opening) to add some memory to the material. This helps the cantilevered portions to "hug" onto the oem bumper cover. Hopefully this makes it not look a simple tack-on job.

And now the center portion. This makes the curvature on both left and right sides flow better, and makes the opening that will later touch the 7" glass lens surface look more circular than oval, making the trim piece opening transition from oval on the outer surface to circular once it contacts the glass lens.

Fingertips burning... must.. stop... now...

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Slight modification to the tools

In my previous attempt at heat-shaping the plastic piece, I used pliers, then pliers covered with cloth, or a flat aluminum bar in between. In spite of that, at the higher temperatures, some of the pliers' teeth manage to imprint on the surface of the plastic (when using bare pliers or covered with cloth).

Luckily, they are on surfaces that are not forward facing. To minimize that, and to make it less clumsy than having cloth covering pliers and tangling all around, I used painters tape instead:

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by csjoh View Post
    Yeah, well, wont be much action on that front for a while, I'm now eagerly awaiting shipments that just won't arrive...
    I see. Time to continue the retrofit, but using thought experiments then.

Finally getting tired of this LOL
    Well, I'm trying to enjoy both the journey and the destination, right? I have to stop somewhere to declare a destination.

When you do the new ones... if you could make it so that the bottom right corner in this pic doesn't jut downward like that, it would flow perfectly IMO
    I agree with you (and appreciate the feedback). +rep (not that you need more)

That "protrusion" in terms of the edge shape was dictated by the contour of the oem bumper cover, which "rolls downhill" as the bumper curves inward into the lower center grille opening. I'd have to shape the edge of the plastic piece differently somewhat, so as not to have that protrusion.

Leave a comment:

• gold94corolla
    replied

When you do the new ones... if you could make it so that the bottom right corner in this pic doesn't jut downward like that, it would flow perfectly IMO

Leave a comment:

• gold94corolla
    replied
    Well..

More like to appreciate the journey as much as the destination. I do want the destination as well.
    Finally getting tired of this LOL

Leave a comment:

• csjoh
    replied
    Yeah, well, wont be much action on that front for a while, I'm now eagerly awaiting shipments that just won't arrive...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X