No announcement yet.

Second Retrofit: 1992 Mazda Miata with quad Mini H1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you looked any of the Flush mount headlight builds? I've seen a few and those might be able to help you

Comment

Originally posted by johnygezony View Post
      Have you looked any of the Flush mount headlight builds? I've seen a few and those might be able to help you
      I did but I like the popups way too much to get flush mount headlights. Good source of info though.

Comment

Got the headlight assemblies this week so I went to the hardware store to buy some ABS piping.

Got two with lids

Got these. I think they are 4x3 and 4x2 reducers. I'll check next time I'm at the shop

Bigger one for the lense side. Very nice fit

Small one for the bulb side. Nice fit as well

I cut some of the 2" side and hit the cut side with an 80 grit sandpaper on a RO sander

The fit now

I'm using a somewhat thick steel sheet to mount the projector to. I made the biggest hole I could with a stepped drill bit and enlarged it with a hand file. The stepped bit makes really clean holes

I sanded the inside of the pipe with 80 grit and plugged the hole

Put some panel bonding adhesive on (it bonds anything to everything but takes 24 hours to dry or 30 minutes with a curing lamp)

Then I stuck the steel sheet to it and threaded the projector on to center it

Curing. You have to be careful though, it got so hot the abs started to soften a bit

Cured, just before I cleaned up the inside

I then cut the excess steel and rounded it using a bench grinder

And projector mounted for the next step. I used the small rubber washer inside and this steel washer outside

Cut some of the 4x3 off

And again

Sanded and test fitted

I'll use the leftover 2" pipe here so I can seal the bulb side

The somewhat final result. I don't plan on keeping the sharp angles. I think I'll make it more bullet shaped and give it some texture

It didn't take that long to get there but I have to make 4 of these... I'll start with two and figure out how to mount them together. I'll probably notch one side on both and glue them together. Less width that way so it'll be easier to fit in the headlight assembly.

I'm going to the shop tomorrow to make #2, huzza!!

Comment

Wow. You are a master at custom work. Must be nice to have access to all those tools on the daily can't wait to see more progress.

Comment

Is this going to be sleepy eye?

Comment

Shame all this hard work for mmh1.

Why quad beam tho?

Comment

Originally posted by soryu1 View Post
                Is this going to be sleepy eye?
                Yup

Originally posted by BrokenVisaCard View Post
                Shame all this hard work for mmh1.

Why quad beam tho?
                MH1 is the only projector small enough for what I want to do. It's also the easiest to mount. I'm doing quads because only one projector on each side wouldn't fill the headlights enough.

Comment

sorry if i missed it, what are you going to cover the lens with? Are you going to leave the lens open to the environment?

Comment

Originally posted by bmwboyee View Post
                    sorry if i missed it, what are you going to cover the lens with? Are you going to leave the lens open to the environment?
                    I won't cover them. It's a summer only car and I don't drive it at night that much. Everything will be sealed though.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnitwithfire View Post
                      Yup

MH1 is the only projector small enough for what I want to do. It's also the easiest to mount. I'm doing quads because only one projector on each side wouldn't fill the headlights enough.
                      I just want to see someone retro fusion fogs I like the idea of a large projector and small. Contrast.

Comment

Man, I've missed a lot of cool projects.

05 300C - 15 Taurus SHO

Comment

I love how these are shaping up!

Comment

BRO! You just solved an issue Iwas thinking about for so long! I cant believe I didn't thinkof this. Technically these can be water proof internally if youseal up the front by the lens! This should be called "firesmethod" lol. You already have rotational capability, andwith a little work you can do individual height adjustability if youdecide to do so. Your cuts are very solid and clean. Imjelous.

Now I wonder how well will these sitinside the bucket. I forgot what temperaturethose ABS housings melt at, but do you think the open areas in theprojector are enough to effect the ABS? Also what is the total length of the unit as it sits? Or should I say depth...
                            Last edited by 862sik; July 7th, 2013, 05:04 AM.
                            My retrofits
                            http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44256-92-honda-accord-morimoto-h1

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...nji-Headlights
                            http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...ector-retrofit.
                            http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...-turn-retrovan

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...ll-LED-project
                            http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...-quad-retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by 862sik View Post
                              BRO! You just solved an issue Iwas thinking about for so long! I cant believe I didn't thinkof this. Technically these can be water proof internally if youseal up the front by the lens! This should be called "firesmethod" lol. You already have rotational capability, andwith a little work you can do individual height adjustability if youdecide to do so. Your cuts are very solid and clean. Imjelous.

Now I wonder how well will these sitinside the bucket. I forgot what temperaturethose ABS housings melt at, but do you think the open areas in theprojector are enough to effect the ABS? Also what is the total length of the unit as it sits? Or should I say depth...
                              Yep if you seal the lens to the housing it becomes waterproof. The melting point of ABS is my main concern in this. I think I'll have to make a heatshield to cover the open space of the MH1 but space is VERY tight in there.

Comment

Second one is out

I sanded one side so I could easily mate both units. It also makes them easier to mount since they are not as wide.

I used a block of wood taped to the bench with an 80 grit sandpaper to create this flat side

Both sides done

Mocked up the headlight assembly

Started cutting out the sealed beam bowl

Bowl out, not much left

Since I need to cut out more of the assembly, I need to find a way to mount the lids. I'll be using these steel bars that I twisted to replace the mounting points (on the left of the picture)

Cut and taped, ready to be welded. I'll sandblast these beforehand

That's it for yesterday's work, more today!!

Comment

Working...
                                X