Version 2 (OEM Style Housings... Current):

Starting to cut up the housing

Brackets

Test fitting shroud and lens

Test fitting and installing on vehicle

Finished

Some Wall Shots

More Output Shots

Somewhat Distance Output Shots (different thread)

Matsushita Ballast Startup Video

Distance Ouput Shots

Version 1 (Aftermarket 1pc Housings... got smashed by a dumb b*tch that ran a red light):

Projectors tuned.

Some pictures of the housings I'm working with.

Housing tear down and projector test fitting.

Installed and working. Just minor fettling to do.

Output shots.

Driving video. (Youtube)

Taking care of the projectors:

Ok, I have a pair of value FX-Rs that I need to get tuned correctly. As far as I can tell there isn't any physical damage to the lenses, sheilds, or bowls, so I think it should just be a matter of adjustments, but I've never done this before so I have no idea where to even start here. I'm not going for a perfect colorful cutoff or anything here, I just want to get them to the point where I'm getting a good usable light output.

These pictures were taken with cheap ebay bulbs in the projectors that I bought for testing. They were seated fine and didn't look to be out of alignment. I'm sure they're not perfect, but I don't think they're causing any of these issues other than an off center hotspot. I do have some morimoto bulbs I bought from a member here on the way.

Here's the first projector. It doesn't look too bad, maybe just some tweaking of the shield?

Second projector. This one seems to have some bigger issues going on.

Thanks.
    Last edited by that_guy318; January 5th, 2014, 11:38 AM.

99 Dodge Durango SLT SelecTrac (NV242) 4WD 5.2L Magnum V8 Build Thread
    FX-R Retrofit - Picture Thread

2014 Dodge Charger R/T Awd

Yikes. Have you taken them apart yet to see what the shields look like? It almost looks like the high beams are partially engaged.
    Last edited by JL-KA; March 17th, 2013, 03:21 PM.

05 300C - 15 Taurus SHO

Comment

I'm actually doing that right now. Although I do think the eBay bulbs may be some of the issue at the moment too. I used a square to straighten out the capsules some and the first projector looks a lot better now although the high beam of it does seem weird to me.

Edit

I think you hot the nail on the head with the second one. It appears that the shield isn't going back up as far as it should be and it leaving a good bit of the high be exposed. Its high be looks identical to the first ones. I'm going to take it apart right now.
      Last edited by that_guy318; March 17th, 2013, 03:31 PM.

Comment

OK, how do I go about raising the shield up more? It doesn't look like there is any room for up/down adjustment because of the locating pegs on the shield assembly and the shield being at its highest point of its travel. Would spacing it closer to the lens or bowl work?

Comment

In for updates.

Comment

There are 2 finger taps on the foreground limeter that the sheild is resting on, bend it up and you will raise the shield.
            FEEDBACK THREAD
            00-03 Nissan Maxima HID Retrofit
            6th gen AV6 FX35 Retrofit
            Chassis and Suspension
            2000 Sunlit Sand Maxima SE 5Spd.

Comment

This is why you don't buy value projectors.

Also, get some real bulbs. My FX-R (NOT VALUE) went all whack when I used anything other than Phillips

Comment

Originally posted by Genes1s View Post
                There are 2 finger taps on the foreground limeter that the sheild is resting on, bend it up and you will raise the shield.
                Thanks a bunch. I bent those up some and now it sits perfectly. Even got a nice deep blue purple and cyan color band too.

This is the second projector that was really bad to start. About 20 minutes of tweaking and I've got this.

This picture is just a zoomed in one from my phone.

Originally posted by Infinity-x View Post
                This is why you don't buy value projectors.

Also, get some real bulbs. My FX-R (NOT VALUE) went all whack when I used anything other than Phillips
                I don't have a ton of money to throw into things so I figured I'd buy the half price ones and make them work. As you can see its turning out pretty well so far. It's a good project and learning experience too. And I will get some OEM bulbs eventually I just don't have the budget for that at the moment.

Comment

The high beam looks perfect
                  FXR 3.0, Osram 66240, morimoto 5five ballasts
                  Matchbox projectors for hi beam, 35w 4300k
                  Is300 fogs, 100w halogens
                  Originally posted by phantom240
                  Having spent a good many days helping my friend with his '85 300SDL, I can say that it takes balls of steel, an anus of concrete, and infinite patience to bring one of these Deutschland Demons back to life.

Comment

Honestly, your tweaks look almost spot on for what you were wanting. It gets to a point where you start messing with trying to get it perfect and it starts going down hill. Also, if spacing is the problem, if you get one fixed, look at the distance and replicate it on the 2nd. Should save you a ton of time. Also, the bulbs could be making the difference from them being perfect with the exact tweaking you have done.

Comment

Originally posted by Pickles View Post
                      The high beam looks perfect
                      OK, I was just wondering since the pics in jvx's comparison is different, but his are probably an older version.

Originally posted by bmwboyee View Post
                      Honestly, your tweaks look almost spot on for what you were wanting. It gets to a point where you start messing with trying to get it perfect and it starts going down hill. Also, if spacing is the problem, if you get one fixed, look at the distance and replicate it on the 2nd. Should save you a ton of time. Also, the bulbs could be making the difference from them being perfect with the exact tweaking you have done.
                      Yeah, I'm not going to mess with them anymore since I'd probably just make them worse like you said. I'm really happy with how they turned out, especially since this is the first time I've messed with the inside of a projector. The hour or so of time I spent messing with them seems like it was well worth the $80 savings to me

Comment

Looks great now!

05 300C - 15 Taurus SHO

Comment

Are you going to try to color mod them?

Comment

Wow, the beam/cut off looks great..
                            -Kyle

Working On My 1st Headlight Retrofit (E46 + H3 Mini Bosch) -> 96' Infiniti G20

Comment

I can't wait to get my FXRs installed as well :-)
                              these pics make me itch!

Comment

Working...
                              X