Bugeye wrx budget retrofit, fx-r 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bugeye wrx budget retrofit, fx-r 3.0

I'm doing a retrofit for a buddy of mine with the main object to keep the cost down but performance high thanks to TRS!

Value Fx-r 3.0 $60
    Value shrouds $15
    Value matsushita iv's $55
    new oem 85122+ $75
    Generic bixenon wiring harness $1
    Misc hardware and supplies $15

a little twist on the "koji" mod, 1.75" projector lenses recessed into 2" abs pipe couplers

Bolts were later shortened as were the nylon bushings.

blue demon eye

test fit with the oem headlight bezel and blinker mod

Last night I test fit the lights on the car with just the reflectors mounted back in the housings to check the alignment. The rotation is 100% correct, which surprised me a bit since I pretty much eyeballed the mounting. Should be finished in the next few days.

*I will be unavailable for projector modding and retrofits until further notice*

Damn thats pretty good.

Comment

Looks nice Spencer.

Makes me want to rush forward with my current retro. Only issue I have is school work and I'm not putting that on the back burner for a retro.

Originally posted by cthunder
      The more you mod your car the moodier it gets.
      Avalon Dual Lens | Rogue LED | Mori 3800K | Mori 3Five | H11 PnP LED

Comment

Awesome dude the price doesn't get any better for a retro like that.

Comment

what blue did you go with for the demon eye? what all did you paint. gunna be doing this soo to my fxrs.

Comment

very nice
            FX-R 3.0 5000K 50 watts

Comment

nice job!

"Damn, that's a cold ass honkey"

Originally posted by soulsea
              I am aware that the LED headlight output isn't as good as the HID headlight output.
              I was also aware when I dated that stunning girl that she wasn't a rocket scientist.

Ambitions oft vary.

Comment

Thanks. It's painted with metalcast blue paint. I lightly sanded the cast surface and then wiped it with a metal prep before paint. Be careful removing/installing the lenses if you do this on FX-r as it's very tricky.

*I will be unavailable for projector modding and retrofits until further notice*

Comment

Originally posted by greenkouki View Post
                  Thanks. It's painted with metalcast blue paint. I lightly sanded the cast surface and then wiped it with a metal prep before paint. Be careful removing/installing the lenses if you do this on FX-r as it's very tricky.
                  So you painted inside where the lens holder is too? Not just the cutoff shields? Nice.

Comment

That blue color looks outstanding!

2015 Ford Party ST | 2013 Triumph Street Triple | Dr. LS460R: 227 built to date!

Comment

Aaaaaah that's what i was going to use too! Lol thanks for confirming the look. Moar pics

Comment

Yeah I painted everything behind the lens really. Not the projector bowl obviously haha.

Comment

Very nice.

Did your friend specifically request the koji mod? For my bugeye, I had experimented with putting my turn signals behind acrylic cabochons as well as spare projector lenses, but couldn't find a workable gap that defeats most of the convex lens properties (in terms of focusing a lot of beam on axis and not much else around). I ended up with a diffuser lens instead.
                          Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

We had considered making a mold of the original orange capsule then replicating it in clear acyrlic resin, but that was too much work. Just did this on kind of a whim. Obviously we'll have to experiment with some different light sources behind that projector lens for it to be a functional and obvious blinker. Any tips on the 9007 relay wiring? I noticed it is ground switched which is a bit odd. I thought about just having constant power to the ballasts and low beam solenoids and just using the factory switched grounds as the high beam solenoid ground. I'm sure the subaru guys have a way around this issue.

Comment

Great job!

Comment

Working...
                              X