2000 Subaru Impreza RS Mini D2s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Subaru Impreza RS Mini D2s

I did my install yesterday of my Morimoto Mini D2s headlights. It was fairly easy once I decided where to mount the ballasts and relay box. I learned that my drivers side headlight has a broken adjuster so the cutoff line is broken and it bounces around. It wasn't noticable with my factory lights. I'll have to get a new headlight and redo it. I need to look up the height and distance to set the headlight cutoff at. Right now it points pretty low.

Before

projectors mounted

Blurry picture of the shroud fitted.

For some reason I just couldnt get the top left corner right on either headlight. Oh well.

I painted the trim piece inside the headlight. Used to be chrome now its midnight metallic or something like that.

Sealed back up

Installed

Another blurry picture.

Up close
    Last edited by Shakes; January 14th, 2013, 12:21 PM.

Looks good. How do you like the output?
    Subaru Outback retrofit:
    http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...aru-Outback-H6
    License plate lights with dual brightness:
    https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...hen-backing-up

Comment

I love this car so much, it looks amazing with projectors!

Comment

Thanks guys. So far I really can't comment on the functionality. The drivers side headlight adjuster is broken so when I drive it has a slight bounce to it. Since I can't adjust it I've either seen a lot or alot of nothing. I've got the proper measurements for aiming them and will hopefully be done with everything tonight. I'm going to pick up a new headlight tonight and swap it all over to that one.

Here is a non blurry head on shot with the headlights off. Amber corners will come soon.

Comment

I agree with Gold. Projectors on this car don't look so bad. I am going to use your pictures to convince my friend with the same car to do a retrofit. =)
          2000 AV6 Sedan: Morimoto Mini H1 - Morimoto XB35 4300K - Xenith Xenons Ballasts - CATZ MSC Fogs

Comment

Nice retrofit. Too bad about the broken adjuster. Ever consider getting aftermarket headlights as an alternative donor housing? That would be easier than fabbing a replacement adjuster.

GC/GM/GF Imprezas look nice imho. Especially 22b or P1.
            Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Sorry it took so long but here are before and afters. The adjuster ended up being ok. The plastic nut fell out of its socket so once I opened it up and replaced it all was good. I realized this after I bought a replacement headlight.

Comment

I think I prefer the halogen setup, based on those two pics alone lol. What do you think?

Comment

As far as light output the halogens were good. The color sucked and the visibility was just ok. Don't get me wrong, they were pretty good compared to many that I've used but the retrofit supplies better usable light. I think the photos make the halogens look a bit better then when you're actually driving with them.

Comment

It's a bit hard to tell from the pictures; does the hotspot sit right in the bottom of the cutoff or is it a bit to the side? The road shot makes me think the hotspot isn't aligned with the cutoff. Either that or the cutoff step is aimed a bit to the side. The brightest "beam" on the ground should point relatively straight.

Comment

It's a bit to the right. Not sure why. Any ideas what causes that?

Comment

The base of the bulb might be tilted slightly to one side. Try nudging the D2S connector attached to the base of the bulb to the side to see if the hotspot moves. If you find the best position, keep it there by adding thin tape on the side of the base that needs more gap.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakes View Post
                          As far as light output the halogens were good. They were pretty good compared to many that I've used but the retrofit supplies better usable light.
                          Good assessment, this is what I was thinking.

The weirdness in the "after" pic might be due to the road surface itself.

Comment

This car looks great with projectors!

Comment

Looks great! Damn, those fogs are fricken huge!!!

"Damn, that's a cold ass honkey"

Originally posted by soulsea
                              I am aware that the LED headlight output isn't as good as the HID headlight output.
                              I was also aware when I dated that stunning girl that she wasn't a rocket scientist.

Ambitions oft vary.

Comment

Working...
                              X