Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom gauge cluster (mhmm...stack gauges)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom gauge cluster (mhmm...stack gauges)

*if this doesn't belong here please move it to the correct location, it IS a retrofit lol

So for christmas my girlfriend got me some gauges for my car...she basically gave me another project haha. So I could just go and glue them on top my dash but what fun would that be? I will be flush mounting the gauges in my center console where my hvac used to go. The hvac will be moved below the radio. I will also be doing a couple other little tricks with the boost controller.

Looking good. Why Stack specifically? Just what you prefer?

2015 Ford Party ST | 2013 Triumph Street Triple | Dr. LS460R: 227 built to date!

Comment

I'm interested in seeing the results. I guess I'm lucky I have factory water temp and oil pressure gauges.

99 Dodge Durango SLT SelecTrac (NV242) 4WD 5.2L Magnum V8 Build Thread
      FX-R Retrofit - Picture Thread

2014 Dodge Charger R/T Awd

Comment

Just wondering is this for a Sylvia?

Comment

Originally posted by that_guy318 View Post
          I'm interested in seeing the results. I guess I'm lucky I have factory water temp and oil pressure gauges.
          factory gauges are jokes. Learned that the hard way when i spun a main bearing. Autometer ftw!

OP what are you using as a filler? Urethane?

2000 Mustang Gt-SOLD RX350's Osram, Morimoto 5five ballast
          2006 GSXR-G37 Projector,XbaLed halos,Morimoto 3five,Morimoto 4300k
          2000 Ford Expedition-FX-R1.0s,Morimoto4300k,Morimoto 3five

Comment

I have used other gauges in the past (aem, greddy, hks) and they are too slow and not as responsive as stack. Stack also has programmable outputs for fans, lights, pumps etc at specific points you set; you can also set colors for specific ranges and it has peak recal, plus there quality is amazing. Full glass lens and the wire looms you would think we're from a BMW.

Yes this is for my s14.

Im using 3m structural adhesive, it's expensive but worth it. You can get different setting times and it turns rock hard after about 30min.

Comment

Originally posted by stockd15b View Post
              factory gauges are jokes. Learned that the hard way when i spun a main bearing. Autometer ftw!

OP what are you using as a filler? Urethane?
              How so? My are fairly accurate. Just no real details for the most part. So I fail to understand how they are a joke..when the joke would be that the vehicle doesn't even have such gauge to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by BrokenVisaCard View Post
                How so? My are fairly accurate. Just no real details for the most part. So I fail to understand how they are a joke..when the joke would be that the vehicle doesn't even have such gauge to begin with.
                they are to give the average commuter a rough idea of what the car is doing. This way when said commuter sees steam pouring from under the hood, they can look down at the gauge and say "oh well that needle thing is in the red, guess thats why"

my cars oil gauge wonlt read untill it has 6psi, then it goes mid scale. SO i could be at 6psi and it says all is merry. When idealy, a good rule of thumb. For every 1000RPM you want 10psi.

Water temp will read normal at 194*F. Dosent do much else untill you all ready know its running hot.

factory gauges are not ideal for those who really like to monitor whats going on.

Comment

I am going to agree with STOCKD15B on that one.

Any who here it is almost done, just gotta finish sanding and paint then wire it all up.

Comment

Looks good bud. Can you link me to that adhesive you used.

Comment

they are to give the average commuter a rough idea of what the car is doing. This way when said commuter sees steam pouring from under the hood, they can look down at the gauge and say "oh well that needle thing is in the red, guess thats why"

my cars oil gauge wonlt read untill it has 6psi, then it goes mid scale. SO i could be at 6psi and it says all is merry. When idealy, a good rule of thumb. For every 1000RPM you want 10psi.

Water temp will read normal at 194*F. Dosent do much else untill you all ready know its running hot.

factory gauges are not ideal for those who really like to monitor whats going on.

i still disagree. Ill agree that it's vehicle dependent on just how much a gauge will move.

I have seen both water and oil gauge to be accurate and in full function on my Durango and bronco. Sure no numbers to display but they do relate to what's going on.

My water temp will hang out at 180. I can see when the thermostat opens. I know where the needle is to reach when the electric fa kicks on.

Bronco, all gauges work same but water temp..that's kinda just there lol maybe it just doesn't fluctuate much as its thermostat is a factory 195

But again, not all vehicles built the same and I get that.

Comment

I have to disagree with you too. It depends on the vehicle, but I can say that mine are very good. I know some cars just have gauges that stay in the middle if it's within a specified range, and I'm guessing from what you said that yours do that. Mine actually show what the values are currently.

I can see my voltage gauge go down a little bit when my electric fan (30amp low 70amp high) comes on. You can also see that the voltage is slightly higher for the first few minutes the car is running while the alternator recharges the battery from starting the car and slowly go down as the battery gets recharged.

My water temp gauge slowly comes up as the engine warms up. My dakota digital electric fan controller has its own dedicated temp sensor and its digital readout shows the exact degree, and my water temp gauge on the dash is right on with it.

I can see the oil pressure slowly change as the engine warms up on the factory gauge. I can also see it fluctuate based on engine speed too.

Here's a photo of my gauge cluster. Ignore the stupid led strip, it was there for a whopping 5 minutes before I took it back off.

you can see in this picture that the needles don't just stay in the center if it's within a certain range or anything like that. I can't find any pics that I have of the oil pressure gauge while running.

Some cars may have crappy factory gauges but some are actually really good.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by that_guy318; December 31st, 2012, 11:18 PM.

Comment

I think I may do the needle mod.

Sand away the orange paint. So tacky looking. Did it on my 01 Ram

Comment

Originally posted by BrokenVisaCard View Post
                            I think I may do the needle mod.

Sand away the orange paint. So tacky looking. Did it on my 01 Ram

I don't know if I'd do that on mine unless I got a custom faceplate for the gauges. I did get a set of 01-03 needles (the needle goes the whole way through to the other side of the round base) but haven't bothered to put them in yet.

I also don't know why for some years they put the redline on the tach at 4750rpm where the transmission will shift at in drive at wot and in later years like your Ram they put it at 5000rpm which is closer to the limiter at 5200rpm.

Comment

Stack makes some very cool stuff. I personally like their gauge clusters. Some people on the Honda forums have them on their cars. Nice to read digital boost levels, MPH's, RPM's etc.

Attached Files
                              2000 Honda Civic SI

Comment

Working...
                              X