Honda Civic EJ Head Light Retrofit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honda Civic EJ Head Light Retrofit

Hi, I have never posted any mod of my car because I feel they are too simple, but this time I have done something that I really like, everything started on 2007 when one of my head lights got broken with a road's rock, by then I wanted my car to looks like Fast & Furious (ricer) hahaha, so I bought some ebay's halo/projectors head lights, I thought they will illuminate better than OEM due to the projectors, but they didn't, I installed Hid's, they worked decent but after a year the light started to get greenish and never were able to get well aligned, so I started to look how to get a better output without flashing everybody, the answer: "a retrofit" (that was how I found this great forum), I got new headlights and projector, and that's the process and the results:

That is the light output with ebay's head lights:

And that is how my car used to look:

I got those parts:

-JDM Style Black housing head lights

-Morimoto Mini H1

Then I made some slightly mods to the projectors:

Upper blacked, lower stock

Stock

Blacked out

I found some rare spots on the bowl, I hope they don't affect light output on the long run

First light output light shoots (stock shields)

Shields bent for sharper and color

Head lights opened:

Reflector removed:

Projectors in:

Comparision:

Shot with lens on (it got less sharp):

Both done:

Actual light output (cellphone camera):

I'm really pleased with the final results, the light is whiter, the cut-off is sharper and colorful, and I have a longer and wider view, even when they are my first retro and have cheap HID kit.

I'll wait to upgrade to XB35 bulbs or why not to FX-R projectors.

Comment

Looks much better than those eBay lights! Definitely upgrade to FX-Rs in the future whenever possible

Comment

Nice! How you like the new projectors, they look a bit wider than the old ones (which didn't look that bad compared to some I've seen lol).

I thought you were gonna black out everything, including the head lights. The projectors look too dark like that IMO.

Comment

Those rims are very similar to the ones on my old Del Sol. Congrats on the retro. Enjoy.
          [ 1999 Honda Prelude SH ] [ Hybrid TL projectors with OEM ZKW lenses] [ Adjustable OEM Ballasts ] [ Bi-halogen projectors with HIR bulbs]

Comment

QUOTE=acdna;543169]Looks much better than those eBay lights! Definitely upgrade to FX-Rs in the future whenever possible[/QUOTE]
            Thanks, I will wait for upgrading I'm scared about doing a complicated retro
            Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
            Nice! How you like the new projectors, they look a bit wider than the old ones (which didn't look that bad compared to some I've seen lol).

I thought you were gonna black out everything, including the head lights. The projectors look too dark like that IMO.
            It was a hard decision to go black or chrome, but for now it's chrome, maybe could paint them black when I get bored of chrome
            Originally posted by Wicked SC View Post
            Those rims are very similar to the ones on my old Del Sol. Congrats on the retro. Enjoy.
            Thanks, and the rims are enkei, I have seen them on many honda forums, I suppose they are popular hahaha

Comment

The H4 bulbs in those headlights are not perfectly vertical, instead they are ****ed to the right (clockwise) a few degrees like most H4 headlights. This results in the projectors being ****ed slightly when used with the adapter plates. Youre going to have to redo these and modify the plates so you can rotate the projectors freely. Otherwise they are incorrectly installed. What I'm saying is the top tab on the H4 bulb or adapter plates needs to be TOP DEAD CENTER above the hole. Currently where the notches are I can see that the top tab would not sit in the center.

Unless I am seeing things incorrectly.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimee View Post
                The H4 bulbs in those headlights are not perfectly vertical, instead they are ****ed to the right (clockwise) a few degrees like most H4 headlights. This results in the projectors being ****ed slightly when used with the adapter plates. Youre going to have to redo these and modify the plates so you can rotate the projectors freely. Otherwise they are incorrectly installed. What I'm saying is the top tab on the H4 bulb or adapter plates needs to be TOP DEAD CENTER above the hole. Currently where the notches are I can see that the top tab would not sit in the center.

Unless I am seeing things incorrectly.
                Yes the stock H4 bulb was a little rotated, but they aren't wrong installed, I know that before I started with the retrofit, so I don't have to redo anything, I trimmed the adapter plates with a dremel to gain some rotation, I did a lot of research before even buying the parts, I didn't want to have to open the headlights over and over to fix little things, I fell they are perfectly horizontal, I haven't had the opportunity to take pictures on a flat white wall, but when I get the chance will post the photos, for now I have this:

Comment

Oh ok, you didn't mention modifying the adapter plate. Most people don't actually know that the H4 adapter plates don't actually work out of the box like they're supposed to.

Comment

Working...
                  X