Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IS300 w/ BIXENON LS430 Projectors, CBIs, and ADJUSTABLE ballasts! (RIP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IS300 w/ BIXENON LS430 Projectors, CBIs, and ADJUSTABLE ballasts! (RIP)

So it's been 2 years since my last retrofit, and the stock reflector HIDs on the IS300 have finally bored me lol. Time for an "upgrade". LS430 projectors! Without a doubt, the widest on the market today. But I really love how they look in the IS300 head lights, they fill the whole reflector. Plus, Lexus parts on a Lexus, right?

(don't forget to click on the pics for full-size sexiness lol)

Step 1: Opening my original chrome head lights (each light in the oven for 30-45 minutes at 250 degrees F):

CIMG5810-2 by gold94corolla, on Flickr

Step 2: Paint! I had gotten some dark chrome lights, but they didn't seem dark enough. I wanted a unique look, since everyone seems to paint their lights black. So, I spent a few hours carefully masking some rings around the reflectors to add uniqueness, I figured it would make for a more custom look. There's no real distinction on the head light rings, so it was hard work:

CIMG5822-2 by gold94corolla, on Flickr

But I didn't want BLACK black.... I tested various spray paints until I found exactly what I was looking for, almost the color of tires, a nice flat black that has a lighter brightness to it. Plus, it is primer, so it sticks nicely

CIMG5823-2 by gold94corolla, on Flickr

The chrome rings help brighten the primer with contrast.

CIMG5824-2 by gold94corolla, on Flickr

CIMG5825-2 by gold94corolla, on Flickr

Thanks to member paleryeder, I got the LS430s complete with shrouds, OEM lenses ground perfectly clear, color modded as needed, and custom mounting plates/brackets to bolt right up!

DSC_5435-2 by gold94corolla, on Flickr

DSC_5426-2 by gold94corolla, on Flickr

DSC_5420-2 by gold94corolla, on Flickr

Here's a picture of the clear lens (left) vs the OEM lens (right):

DPP_00000297-2 by gold94corolla, on Flickr

I fired up the projectors to get some output shots, using my worn-in 5000k D2S CBI bulbs. The first picture is the old FX-R 1.0s I used on the Corolla (for comparison). I really missed these, firing them up put a huge smile on my face But then I was blown away by the LS430s! The second pic is the driver's side LS430, the last pic is the passenger. Boy these things are super wide!! I thought I had the camera in a good position, but there was no way to capture all the width. You can see how close the projectors are to the wall.

(the pictures are HDR to show very precise light beam distribution output):

IMG_9276-2 by gold94corolla, on Flickr

IMG_9284-2 by gold94corolla, on Flickr

IMG_9278-2 by gold94corolla, on Flickr

I needed to get an idea of how the lights would look lit up in the head lights. Here's a rough mock-up of what the projectors will look like in the head lights.... VERY ROUGH as nothing is trimmed:

S4010009-2 by gold94corolla, on Flickr

S4010010-2 by gold94corolla, on Flickr

S4010007-2 by gold94corolla, on Flickr

S4010006-2 by gold94corolla, on Flickr

I was thinking of adding a CCFL around the projector, in the back of bezel to help light up the entire thing closer to the OEM reflector look. But I'm not thinking I should. Thoughts?

I also want to convert the turn signals to LED... but the fluted lenses with convoluted reflectors is making it difficult to design :/

Stay tuned....

Next update is all the way on page 13 lol.
    http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...ress%29/page13

Adjustable ballasts added

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...l=1#post654672

Retrofit completely rebuilt from scratch

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...e-Again/page54
    Last edited by gold94corolla; October 17th, 2014, 01:04 AM. Reason: Pics all edited and rehosted

The painting/taping looks great! Nice choice

Comment

Sexy!!!

RX350BX (EU) | STI-R | XB35 Ballasts| HD Relay | 66240 CBI | JDM AStar LED Int. | AFSpec LED Ext.

Comment

OMG. I love the LS430s but I don't know if I could give up HID high beam. They would fit in my next car...
        This is going to be sweet though. Does paleryeder make those brackets or did you?

05 300C - 15 Taurus SHO

Comment

Are the LS430s considerable more wider than the LS460s?

RX350BX (EU) | STI-R | XB35 Ballasts| HD Relay | 66240 CBI | JDM AStar LED Int. | AFSpec LED Ext.

Comment

That looks fūcking insane!

Comment

Great job on the chrome highlights, they look amazing. Damn those 430s are wide!
              I ride.

Comment

Nice job with taping up the chrome rings and trimmings! Mind if I ask what brand painter's tape you used? I've been using Scotch 3M brand blue painter's tape and I been having this issues, especially with older headlights, that when I peel the tape off, sometimes it peels the chrome plating off as well. Can't wait to see the finish product by the way.

Comment

So jealous right now I hate you. Your car is going to be literally perfect after this.

Comment

Originally posted by JDMSTA View Post
                    Nice job with taping up the chrome rings and trimmings! Mind if I ask what brand painter's tape you used? I've been using Scotch 3M brand blue painter's tape and I been having this issues, especially with older headlights, that when I peel the tape off, sometimes it peels the chrome plating off as well. Can't wait to see the finish product by the way.
                    Can you shrink that signature picture a bit please?

Different cars used different quality chrome. Some just comes off easier than others. There is a Scotch Blue Gentle or something like that. It says 'for freshly painted surfaces'. I usually use Frog Tape though. It works on OEM lights but aftermarket lights peel with just about anything.
                    Last edited by JL-KA; October 20th, 2012, 11:04 AM.

05 300C - 15 Taurus SHO

Comment

looking forward to the finished results..

'83 Mustang GT, '98 F150 XLT
                      Have A Bear Of A Day

Comment

In4 results. Your previous quad retro was actually what brought me here way back when.

2007 e90 335i
                        //OEM

Comment

Really nice, can't wait to see more pics!

Comment

Thanks guys! Sorry no progress yet, it will come soon I hope.

Originally posted by JL-KA View Post
                            Does paleryeder make those brackets or did you?
                            Yeah, I thought I said he made them.... they were shipped just as you see!

Originally posted by Sean Lezner View Post
                            Are the LS430s considerable more wider than the LS460s?
                            Yes, definitely wider. When having bixenon, some light must be reserved for the high beam, but with low only, all the light is available! The LS430 utilizes wasted high-beam light in the reflector for the extra width.

Originally posted by JDMSTA View Post
                            Mind if I ask what brand painter's tape you used? I've been using Scotch 3M brand blue painter's tape and I been having this issues, especially with older headlights, that when I peel the tape off, sometimes it peels the chrome plating off as well. Can't wait to see the finish product by the way.
                            It was the usual product at Walmart... Scotch I think! I know what you mean though, I've had it peel off chrome on aftermarket headlights. But the finish on these is really solid.

Originally posted by acdna View Post
                            So jealous right now I hate you. Your car is going to be literally perfect after this.
                            Why you think I bought an IS300? LOL j/k

Comment

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
                              Yes, definitely wider. When having bixenon, some light must be reserved for the high beam, but with low only, all the light is available! The LS430 utilizes wasted high-beam light in the reflector for the extra width.
                              I thought so. Aren't you going to miss Bi-Xenon functionality like your last FX-Rs? lol

Comment

Working...
                              X