2001.5 VW Passat Retrofit(Evox-r)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001.5 VW Passat Retrofit(Evox-r)

First I would like to say thank you to the entire forum. This is my first retrofit and I gained all my knowledge and did my research from this forum. My car is a vw passat, late model 01 (split year body change) seen here

I went with the evox-r simply because it was going to bolt up to my headlights and i had to do very little modifications to get it to fit. Here are some pics of my build.

Housing after some sanding

Vht high temp paint(i did cure these in the oven, 200 degrees for 20min)

The Evo's next to OEM

Grinded down one side for fitment

Test Fit

I also decided to run Angel eyes on my build but i originally wanted to mount them in front of the new projector, that did not work out to well for me. Luckily they fit right in the high beam location like a glove

Time for testing

All back together, the turn signal is there but is hard to see with the glare

Before and after output shots. Unfortunately right after i put everything back together, a lot of my adjustment screws broke. I even had to redo my driver side housing because it was aimed too low with no way to adjust it and i needed to at least get back and forth to class at night. So new housings are needed to get perfect aim but here they are.

Here is a shot of my fogs for shits and giggles, they are projectors from factory. DDM tuning 3k, yellow laminx film.

08 WRX
    Intake,Downpipe, cat-back, up-pipe, tuned
    Autocross rookie
    Oem STi Projectors, Matsushita Gen 3 Ballast, 3Five 5000k bulbs

Traded-
    01.5 VW Passat
    Evox-r, Morimoto D2s 5k Bulbs, 55w DDM Tuning Ballast, Morimoto Angel Eyes (100mm)

Not bad! I love my EvoX-R's. The high beam is awesome.

Sorry for your woes, but you'll get it all fixed in good time
    2012 Volkswagen Golf R. 2016 Ford Fiesta ST

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

The high beam is amazing, absolutely love it.
      08 WRX
      Autocross rookie

Traded-
      01.5 VW Passat
      Evox-r, Morimoto D2s 5k Bulbs, 55w DDM Tuning Ballast, Morimoto Angel Eyes (100mm)

Comment

e55r!
        How did the adjustment screws break? by the heat from opening the headlights?
        Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
          e55r!
          How did the adjustment screws break? by the heat from opening the headlights?
          They are just brittle pieces of crap. It's a Phillips/Allen key sprocket that turns another sprocket that is glued or epoxyed to a small shaft connected to another plastic knob that moves the housing. The Phillips part strips out, the sprocket breaks off, the 2nd sprocket strips... Just overall crap. It's happens on a lot of passats especially if it's original housing.
          08 WRX
          Autocross rookie

Traded-
          01.5 VW Passat

Comment

WOW, I had no idea HID in the OEM heads looked so poorly! Looks dope!

Comment

Thanks, oem halogen projectors are pretty bad compared to these evoxr's . I can't wait to fix the aim and eventually pick up better ballast and bulbs
              08 WRX
              Autocross rookie

Traded-
              01.5 VW Passat

Comment

Originally posted by lambo410 View Post
                .. brittle ...
                Sorry to hear that. I wonder if the brittleness developed over time; uv exposure maybe?
                Instead of getting a new housing, is there any way to fabricate some replacement mount/adjusters?

Comment

Sorry to hear that. I wonder if the brittleness developed over time; uv exposure maybe?
                  Instead of getting a new housing, is there any way to fabricate some replacement mount/adjusters?
                  I guess i could take a look and try to draw some ideas up. I may end up taking it apart anyway to adjust the color on the driver side. It doesnt show in the picture but the step is yellow and the cutoff is blue/purple, the passenger has a more color in the step. I would like to balance that out, something I should have looked at before sealing it up. We will see.
                  08 WRX
                  Autocross rookie

Traded-
                  01.5 VW Passat

Comment

Regarding the cutoff color, I found that the e55r pair I use also does that at close distances, but turn deep purple from 3+ car distances.

You could take pictures of the innards, and perhaps there could be enough crowdsourcing of ideas.

Comment

Regarding the cutoff color, I found that the e55r pair I use also does that at close distances, but turn deep purple from 3+ car distances.You could take pictures of the innards, and perhaps there could be enough crowdsourcing of ideas.
                      I have another headlight housing for the passenger side to swap in hopefully this saturday. Weather permitting of course. Also I do notice a purple color far away but I can't tell if its the cutoff, or the step. I'll be working on that also this weekend. Whether I have a yellow step or blue/purple I just want them to be even/match
                      08 WRX
                      Autocross rookie

Traded-
                      01.5 VW Passat

Comment

Working...
                      X