Led Corner Light Retrofit (Zenki)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Led Corner Light Retrofit (Zenki)

I have been wanting to do some thing with leds for a while now so i finally bit the bullet and ordered some leds along with new corner lamps. Im using Cree P4 amber leds.
    I <3 Nissan boxes

Breadboard testing:

Just for craps and laughs I free soldered the 12v regulator, complete with caps and diodes

First prototype, i will be going down to 50ma instead of 70ma:

More to come soon when i have plans set in stone. Regulators will be external, in case i want to pwm later down the road and so i can have heatsink out of the lamp.
    Thanks,
    Nick

Well i have done a little more, little by little I'm coming along. I pulled the leds down to 50ma and 132 of them are bright enough. I finished the above prototype and then started making new boards then painted them silver and solder up some leds.
    Lay them out:

Solder them into place:

Run the ground wires:

Then run the resistors:

Final product:

Now i get to make another one
    -Nick

Comment

Damn that is sick! Excellent work!

RX350BX (EU) | STI-R | XB35 Ballasts| HD Relay | 66240 CBI | JDM AStar LED Int. | AFSpec LED Ext.

Comment

wowza, that's a lot of LEDs for that.... why so bright? It's facing the side.... now if it were facing forward, I could understand. I need to build some of these for my head lights!

Comment

How many lumen does each LED output?

RX350BX (EU) | STI-R | XB35 Ballasts| HD Relay | 66240 CBI | JDM AStar LED Int. | AFSpec LED Ext.

Comment

@ Gold94carolla: They really dont face the side as much as you may think, but yes a lot of it faces the sides. I was planning for full coverage. This is also my first time with something like this so idk what i was really doing. I didn't plan for them to be that bright, i even ran them down 20ma so they would be less bright. But i also wanted an even coverage from within the light, so it didn't appear spotted.

@Sean Lezner: Each led will put out 8.730 lumens @70ma, I'm how ever running them at 50ma so each one is probably putting out 6.6 lumens. And 6.6 x 264 = 1,742.4 lumens, which is 871 lumens per light. Is my math right??? 1700 lumens created by just under 4 watts is good i think.

Any who I finished them up today and i will enjoy putting them into my car and driving at night

Comment

Thank for the response. I can't wait to see some night shots!

Comment

Please come by the shop when you wrap it up--we'd love to see it!

2015 Ford Party ST | 2013 Triumph Street Triple | Dr. LS460R: 227 built to date!

Comment

Well if you don't have fog lights now, just turn on your park lights haha. Nice work! I love how crammed that regulator looks and painting the circuit board was a good idea.

Comment

Any pics of it off?

Comment

Yeah that regulator will not be used like that they don't look that bad when off, but it's almost not even noticeable when off, and only the people that know about retrofitting will notice it

Last edited by killer skittle; September 17th, 2012, 10:26 PM.

Comment

^^^ It would be nice if that lens was clear and not fluted.

Comment

I disagree, I really like flouted lenses with LEDs! Makes for a stealth install and you don't have to care much about what the LED board looks like.

Yeah no one will notice that back there. I'd have painted some more of the back of it chrome, you can see the back and resistors.

But you should definitely put a PWM on this so that it also functions as a turn signal!

Comment

Originally posted by TRSAndrew View Post
                            Please come by the shop when you wrap it up--we'd love to see it!
                            Give me a sweet deal on some CBIs and ill see what i can do

@G94C They arent sealed up yet so i think i might mask off the lights and paint the underside where it is visible. I also have two bumper lights for blinkers so i might not pwm the drls and just retro some leds in the bumper lights.
                            dsc_0342_resize.jpg

Comment

The corner lights shine more to the sides, whereas the bumper lights are forward only. It doesn't hurt to have better side visibility on the signal.

Comment

Working...
                              X