2007 Accord EX-L V6 Coupe - TSX Retrofit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 Accord EX-L V6 Coupe - TSX Retrofit

So, I wanted to start the thread now, as I am receiving parts through the mail.

I will be doing an OEM Acura TSX low-beam projector retrofit on my 2007 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Coupe (Graphite Pearl Gray) w/ 23k miles on her The projectors came out of OEM TSX housings, removed and sold to me by argo.
    I was fortunate enough to find a near-perfect pair of OEM Accord headlamps from Keith, over on the Accord forums, for a killer deal! These are very rare (& expensive) to find. The headlamps, including the non-functional orange reflectors, will be blacked out except for the chrome bezels around the high beam and turn signal. I have chosen to go with the E55-R Mercedes Benz shrouds this time, as I think they will compliment the headlamp nicely. The shrouds will remain their original chrome. As I did in my FX-R retro, and in order to better hide the projectors out of sight, the projector bodies will be painted black.

The victim:

The setup (thus far):

OEM 2003-2007 Honda Accord Headlamps

OEM Acura TSX Projectors w/ OEM Clear Lenses, OEM Osram D2S Cool Blue Intense (CBI) 5,000K bulbs, OEM Matsushita (Gen V) Ballasts

I will keep you updated! I am still awaiting the shrouds & 9006 Morimoto low-beam harness from TRS (should arrive tomorrow).
    Last edited by DreaminAccord; August 31st, 2012, 04:04 PM.

OEM Headlamps | TL Bi-Xenon | Osram D2S CBI 5,000K | Gatling Gun
    Matsushita Gen V Ballasts | 9006 Morimoto MotoControl Harness

In!

Comment

Thanks Chris!

Forgot to add, I have spaced 1 projector using haknslash's 2 washer spacing mod on the nipples (yes, I said nipples) and 1 projector left stock. I'm going to test later on which one I like better, or even yet, if these particular TSX's respond well to the mod. I know others have had to space on top and not bottom, 3 on bottom & none on top, etc. b/c each projector is definitely unique haha So I'm going to play around with them to see where I can get the best blue/purple cutoff along with keeping the beam sharp. I'm am dying with enthusiasm and curiosity to see how well the CBI's do in the TSX w/ clear lenses!
      Last edited by DreaminAccord; August 31st, 2012, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Nice to see you've started a thread! I can't wait to see how it goes, you've got some GREAT parts. And I've got someone I'll share this with lol... should look 100times better in black, and I would recommend flat black (something not TOO dark).

Comment

Well if your friend is looking for DIY for a 03-07 7th Gen Accord there are TONS of DIY articles on the Accord forums lol

Google Docs - Accord TSX Retrofit

DriveAccord - kingmoocow's 7th Gen DIY - TSX Projectors

and many more...so mine is basically going to be a picture post at most - as tons of documenting on HOW TO is already out there. I'm looking forward to having an awesome, fully OEM setup though

Your thoughts were my thoughts about the flat black - I don't want it shiny, I want it to be OEM looking, as if it came from Honda. The TSX and Accord are so close in build parts, I think Honda SHOULD upgrade the Accords and start implementing the use of using real HID projectors. The 8th Gen Accords have projectors, but only in the coupes, and even those are halogen. They do pretty well with an HID PnP setup, I must admit, I was quite impressed for being a halogen projector. I, of course, would never run a PnP kit regardless lol Who knows, maybe when they release the brand new 9th Gen Accord Coupes, they'll actually come with HID projectors and not halogen? :shrugs: One can wish...lol

This is the closest example I can find - it's on a gray 7.5th Gen just like mine. Only, I'll have E55 shrouds, and the orange reflector completely blacked out
          Last edited by DreaminAccord; September 1st, 2012, 10:08 AM.

Comment

OH, yeah I know there's tons of info, pics, retrofit for your car, like I said in the PM, but he's not actually looking, but I might show him yours anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
              OH, yeah I know there's tons of info, pics, retrofit for your car, like I said in the PM, but he's not actually looking, but I might show him yours anyway.
              Ahhh gotcha!

Modifying and beam testing....COMPLETE Distance is approx. 25-26 ft

At first I left one projector stock (unmodified) and got a typical (yet beautiful) straight white cutoff with a little bit of blue right at the step. Then I tested my modified projector (2x #8 washers per nipple, per projector = total 4 washers per projector, 8 washers in all). I got a B-E-U-TEE-FUL outcome!! An array of blues and purples over pure white light (remember now, I'm running CBIs) that follow the entire beam.

I instantly went back upstairs and modified the other projector the same way haha For being TSX's, they are both pretty similar. I would say that the 2nd projector I modified (that was originally unmodified) might be taking to the mod just a wee-bit better than the 1st one. So I'll do the 2nd one as my driver side, and first one as the passenger side.

Here are some output pics - now remember, this is me manually holding the projector & ballast in one hand & my iPhone 4S in the other - so it's hard to take good pics, esp. the zoomed in one lol But, it was just to give you a close up of the color. Once I am test fitting the projectors into the reflective housings, I'll be able to use two hands & take much better pics in a dark environment.

The originally modified projector (we're calling #1):

The originally unmodified projector (#2) that is now modified:

Oh and when I shined the cutoff into the study (room all the way to the back & left) the purple was intensified! That's probably about 35-40 ft from where I was standing
              Last edited by DreaminAccord; September 1st, 2012, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Yep, it has the typical TSX flare! Nice.

Comment

lol yup! But I read on another post that the flares are actually helpful in better lighting up road signs...is that why they're there? Kind of "splash" a little light up over the cutoff and to the right...

Haha I just noticed the pictures on the piano reflecting onto the ceiling
                  Last edited by DreaminAccord; September 1st, 2012, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Update:

1 headlamp is now completely disassembled but man, what a biotch! haha I love using OEM lamps for retros, but they are 10x harder to take apart. The good news, I only got 1 blister on my right thumb so far

I'm going to take an hour break and run out to ACE, yesterday I forgot to pick up paint & wet sanding paper

Comment

Both headlamps disassembled (only 4 blisters...not too shabby for OEM glue! haha)

Comment

Nice! That's the hardest part IMO, getting everything apart without breaking/melting it. Maybe the oven would have been easier?

Comment

Haha I'm a heat gun kind of guy Just something about me being in control gives me comfort. I probably will use the oven to reheat before sealing though, being that they are huge headlamps, that way I'll know that all of the butyl is warm to press back together at the same time, and clamp. Right now I'm working on wet sanding down the bezels for their flat black painting

Comment

Honda is brilliant - they designed the turn signal area with a clear plastic lens that pops right out - for us retrofitters that means easy taping! Now I don't have to tape the entire chrome section around the turn signal - just the lens which was done in a minute then reinstall it. It completely covers the chrome to protect it from the spray

Should I leave the orange reflector, or black it out? I'm torn...

Comment

Whoo! Just received my E55 shrouds & 9006 harness from TRS

Last edited by DreaminAccord; September 1st, 2012, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X