Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2nd bugeye wrx retrofit. Goodbye oem look. Hello sheet metal & acrylic. (progress pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The top piece is identical to the 2 bottom pieces, with the exception that it is long enough to replicate the "hat" portion of the first prototype.

Once the ring is pushed inwards, the tabs will hold the ring in place. The tension between the tab pulling the ring backwards and the inability for the tab to move forward due to interference with the lens holder keeps them together.

After the 2 bottom tabs are latched on, the top hat is folded twice to secure the ring.

The tabs are not easy to spot unless you know where to look.
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

• Ballast mounting

The area directly behind the headlights, ahead of the front clip and slightly behind the bumper beam (obscured by the bumper beam cover) is useful for access to the fog light bulbs. It has ample space for a ballast that is attached on the bottom of the headlights, or simply mounted right underneath them. Cardboard piece nearby will be used to extract rough shape of ballast mounting surface.

I had scrap frosted acrylic piece available, and it looks like temperatures in that area (including heat generated by the ballast) won't be an issue. Trim a trapezoidal shape and mount the TRS supplied ballast metal bracket just in case the acrylic piece sags due to heat. Upside down view.

Here's the main ballast sitting on the plate. The rectangular black soft foam pieces taped on the front clip (to the right side of the ballast in this pic) is where the ballast for the Mini D2S used to sit, tilted to the side instead of flat like the ballast for the e55rs shown below. They will coexist not as a quad biX, but as 2 specialized pairs.

Comment

• 2.5" end cap

I found these 2.5 semi flexible plastic from a local Tap Plastics (tapplastics.com) store. Iirc, they're about 54 cents each. Not quite durable as TRS's endcaps (I also bought those, but the smallest one isn't small enough). Trace a hole on painters tape, and cut a through hole.

Tap Plastics also has a different end cap material (flanked by 3 of the former) that is much closer to TRS' in terms of thickness and pliability. Smaller than the smallest one TRS offers, but a tad too large for this 2.5" opening. Test fit the D2S ballast end cap hole, and make fine trims to adjust the hole accordingly.

Comment

• Trimmed cap shown behind the e55r.

Same for the Morimoto Mini D2S.

Comment

• Test alignment

Retest the housing fitment & beam alignment again before sealing the headlight housing. Thanks to Ocelaris for the very useful PC power supply thread. Definitely made the design iteration & experiments a lot more doable.

Here's an interesting angle, showing how the seemingly flat black upper surface is actually a smoked chrome. Note how the largest flowing metal piece looks silver on its left edge, and gradually darkens towards the right. The shroud area directly above it is painted with the same number of smoked chrome coats, but looks considerably darker due to the different angle of the surface relative to the light source.

Comment

• Light it up.

Still using the PC power supply.

At a much shorter exposure time.

Closeup, short exposure time.
              Last edited by satrya; July 17, 2012, 02:22 AM.

Comment

• Secondary biX test

And now the Mini D2S (secondary pair). These retain the foreground light, plus received a reverse squirrel finder mod to mildly illuminate street signs and reduce sudden low beam cutoff transition.

Two different exposure durations:

Comment

• Ver.2.0 installed.

Finally, pictures of the retrofit installed. Thanks for everyone for the feedback.
                  Now to move on from enjoying the journey to enjoying the destination... for now.

Closeup.

Main unit (e55r), LED city lights, and OEM halogen foglights lit up:

Secondary unit (Mini D2S) lit up:

e55r with moderate foreground limiter.

Both e55r and Mini D2S (as well as oem halogen foglight and auxiliary DRL inside the center grille) lit up. Quad biXenon is only for transitioning from one to the other (while the other one warms up for several seconds). This is especially useful because the Morimoto 3000K D2S capsules on the Minis take a while to shed is initial greenish hue when first turned on.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by satrya; August 7, 2012, 11:12 AM.

Comment

• Wow, I'm speechless. I really like how you layered the metal pieces, it gives it a very unique look. Awesome jobs all around.

Comment

• Originally posted by mcole254 View Post
                      Wow, I'm speechless. I really like how you layered the metal pieces, it gives it a very unique look. Awesome jobs all around.
                      Thank you.

Comment

• Wait, you're suddenly finished already? I really like how the finish looks in the first pic.

Is it just me, or is there supposed to be a turn signal or something in between the head lights and grille?

Comment

• Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
                          Wait, you're suddenly finished already?
                          It's called "have to finish now or else it will need to be delayed by a month"
                          Access to my home garage will be blocked for a while. All the items I decided to procrastinate doesn't or hardly affect the overall functionality, so down the drain they go. Or version 3.

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
                          I really like how the finish looks in the first pic.
                          Thanks.

I hope it's not too different from the full brushed metal + chrome version somewhere in the middle of the build. As I mentioned before, I really liked the brushed metal + chrome since it looks most OEM for my model year. However, I made enough holes and scuff marks that it would look too distracting.

One thing I hadn't accounted for was how the reflection of the cylinder-ish protrusion of the headlight lens around the Mini D2S disrupts the overall flow under certain angles + lighting conditions. If it bothers me enough, then I might just paint the solenoid shield / reverse squirrel finder shield inside the Mini flat black. That way, the cylinder-ish shape will highlight nothing but a black hole.

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
                          Is it just me, or is there supposed to be a turn signal or something in between the head lights and grille?
                          Are you referring to the 2" lenses with black housing here (picture from ~10 years ago)?

Those were my auxiliary backroads lights. Hella Optilux with yellow 55w H3 halogen bulbs. The original turn signal is inside the headlight assembly, behind the orange globe ahead of the turn signal reflector that makes up the entire top 1/3 of the headlight.

In my version 1.0, a similar Optilux was placed where the Mini D2S is now, and the Mini was where the e55r is now. Basically, I've replaced its role with something that is inside the housing.

Or Am I interpreting the question incorrectly?

Comment

• Hmm, you got my question right, but I thought there was some reflector lamp that had an option of going there. Perhaps I'm getting confused with another car, perhaps a Dodge Neon or something.

Comment

• Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
                              Perhaps I'm getting confused with another car, perhaps a Dodge Neon or something.
                              : ) ) Classic.
                              Bugeyes often get compared to Neons when it came out, especially thanks to the turbo version with its hood scoop (SRT-4). The first generation chassis had turn signals where you initially suspected, but I think the second generation below looks more similar (but relocated its turn signal into the headlight housing).
                              [image from cargurus.com (link)]

Comment

• Yes, I was using Google images to verify that I was thinking of the neon... the one with signals next to the lights.

Comment

Working...
                                X