Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2nd bugeye wrx retrofit. Goodbye oem look. Hello sheet metal & acrylic. (progress pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really like how it looks with the frosted piece, nike swish or not.
    2012 Volkswagen Golf R. 2016 Ford Fiesta ST

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

All assembled and finished in all it's glory....
      I don't even think it will look like a Nike swoosh in there.
      You've definatly have the project flowing in an amazing smooth manner.

My opinion.... Remove the reflective tape. Looks to much like its interfering with the flow of the city light area.
      The Night Rod Special build...
      http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...-Dual-Mini-D2s
      The s10 fx-r 3.0 build...
      http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...lmost-complete

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
        Better overthink now than miss an opportunity after sealing the headlights.
        Yes, true. But just keep in mind what I said, that the point is to make a good looking car, not just good looking head lights.

Comment

Good points, thanks (posts 91-93).
          I have to balance the options with whether or not I'm comfortable with the durability and finish of the overall unit. More procrastination is called for.
          Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
            More procrastination is called for.
            ROFL!! When in doubt, procrastinate!!

Comment

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
              ROFL!! When in doubt, procrastinate!!
              Sage words. There's no shortage of new areas to work on.

Finally got around to trimming the other smoked acrylic ring to sit flush and allow enough clearance for Mini D2S' beam alignment later on. Managed to avoid scuffing visible areas, but didn't do so well on the notch where the flowing metal slots in (bottom right area).

Closeup of the bare chrome reflector plastic and smoked sheet aluminum after retroreflective paint is applied. It looks like dust in the picture. In person, it looks like tiny sparkling dots. Significantly less retroreflective compared to 3M's Scotchlite tape, but better than no retroreflective coating at all. It didn't help that ambient room lighting is relatively strong compared to the point light source behind the camera.

Comment

I like that you are filling the gaps around the projectors. Perhaps it would have looked better to cut and fit the flowing metal piece around the halo, rather than cut the halo at the metal piece. I suppose it is too late now lol.

Comment

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
                  I like that you are filling the gaps around the projectors. Perhaps it would have looked better to cut and fit the flowing metal piece around the halo, rather than cut the halo at the metal piece. I suppose it is too late now lol.
                  It is indeed.

First, the flowing metal already had notches for the acrylic rings. After further fitment &amp; pre Mini D2S alignment, it looked like I need to provide more clearance in case the Mini's aim need fine tweaking or if the shroud ends up sitting a few millimeters off due to interference fit with the headlight lens.<br>Since the metal piece was already painted and glued to the shroud by this point, I chose to trim fit the rings instead.

Maybe if I had procrastinated some more before painting and gluing the metal piece, I could've trimmed it some more.

Comment

Turn signal reflector

The turn signal reflector area has an opening at the top (above the bulb opening as seen from the back in this pic). Not sure what it's for.

Block with reflective tape.

Comment

• Why did you block that? Perhaps it is to let heat from the bulb out.

Comment

• Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
                        Why did you block that? Perhaps it is to let heat from the bulb out.
                        Now we can only hope that the turn signals don't stay on in his set up, so hopefully the heat generated by the blinker alone won't damage anything...

Comment

• Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
                          Why did you block that? Perhaps it is to let heat from the bulb out.
                          Originally posted by serega12 View Post
                          Now we can only hope that the turn signals don't stay on in his set up, so hopefully the heat generated by the blinker alone won't damage anything...
                          The turn signal bulb is a single filament type, i.e. it's not coupled to a DRL or city light function at all. I'm sure I won't need to keep it flashing for long stretches of time.

I'm not sure why the opening was deliberately designed into the shroud. While it is the only unexposed area of the shroud (as in not visible from the outside), I don't think that would've saved any significant amount of material for them. But then again, with injection molding, I suppose it doesn't cost extra to have that "feature" in there. I also ruled out the possibility of having the turn signal bulb lighting the upper opening (originally designed for the turn signal reflector).

Comment

• e55r gap cover: clear acrylic ring

Unlike the Mini D2S, where the smoked acrylic ring (used to fill the gap between the Mini and the shroud) is mounted on the shroud, it is easier to mount the ring on the e55r. Here's how it conceptually will look:

Comment

• Clear acrylic ring mounting prototype

Cardboard prototype. Have the top extend all the way along the top column (1 of 3, with the other 2 on the bottom sides) that props the lens holder from the reflector bowl. The "hat" will be folded up to hold the ring into place. Looks like more needs to be trimmed off the sides (marked with a grey line). Other than the fold on top, the rest is held together by interference fit; the mounting sheet gradually increases in diameter from front to back. Probably not secure enough.

Comment

• Instead of starting with the bonnet styled piece and trimming the sides to allow enough stray light to be collected by the acrylic and metal stray light harvester, I decided to make 3 separate pieces that "hook" the clear acrylic ring directly near the 3 columns of the e55r lens holder/bracket.

Here's the second cardboard prototype, with the first one in the background lower left.

Mass production. Cardboard template on the left. 1 piece cut off from paintes tape covered sheet metal. The 2 parallel lines are crease marks for the acrylic ring hook. Picture on the right shows one piece partially folded up. The hook protrudes about 1-2mm from the surface.

One piece installed on the bottom. The 2 tabs fold together to clamp itself onto the lens holder column.

Comment

Working...
                                X