Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2nd bugeye wrx retrofit. Goodbye oem look. Hello sheet metal & acrylic. (progress pics)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
    You've been really busy while I was on vacation! I really like how this one is "shaping up" literally. That first pic of the thread looks amazing, with the harvester and flowing metal piece.
    Welcome back and thank you.

    By the way, I like the DIY reflector idea from your quad fx-r retrofit:
    "Custom-made chrome reflector... out of fluorescent tube cover and chrome vinyl lol." (hope you don't mind me linking them here; just so it's clear which one I'm talking about)

    I may need to experiment with using something like that for background texturing the empty space near the Mini D2S. I initially ruled those out because I've seen how some of them yellow and get brittle over time.

    Are those Junyan aftermarket headlights? The acrylic ring & 3 LEDs looks incredibly similar to the Junyans I'm using here.

    On another thread, the bumper cover on the corolla looks incredibly like this one for the Subaru P1 (by Prodrive):
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

    3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by satrya View Post
      By the way, I like the DIY reflector idea from your quad fx-r retrofit:
      "Custom-made chrome reflector... out of fluorescent tube cover and chrome vinyl lol." (hope you don't mind me linking them here; just so it's clear which one I'm talking about)

      I may need to experiment with using something like that for background texturing the empty space near the Mini D2S. I initially ruled those out because I've seen how some of them yellow and get brittle over time.

      Are those Junyan aftermarket headlights? The acrylic ring & 3 LEDs looks incredibly similar to the Junyans I'm using here.
      I'm not sure the maker of the head lights, but IMO they are all the same. Yes, they had LED halos and spots, just like yours.

      And feel free to experiment with the reflector thing as you wish! Perhaps you could use a UV clear coat over top just to make sure it doesn't yellow. Mine never did.

      Originally posted by satrya View Post
      On another thread, the bumper cover on the corolla looks incredibly like this one for the Subaru P1 (by Prodrive):
      LOL, that's because I DID use that bumper! I held a huge fascination with that Impreza for a long time when I had the Corolla, because they looked very similar.

      Comment


      • #33
        Thanks for the UV coating suggestion. I'll have to look into that if the prototypes look reasonable for my case.

        Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
        LOL, that's because I DID use that bumper! I held a huge fascination with that Impreza for a long time when I had the Corolla, because they looked very similar.
        Wow, very nice DIY. No wonder it looks identical. With the new Toyobaru BRZ/FR-S/86GT, this sounds like a precursor to it...

        Must have required a lot of trimming and fabbing custom mounting tabs, no? I thought it was a replica bumper cover made for the E100 Corolla. Did you consider adding the engine hood vents & scoop?

        I like it.
        Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

        3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

        Comment


        • #34
          lol, I didn't think of it as a precursor to the BRZ! That is a neat was of looking at it.... although the BRZ is WAY nicer hahaha.

          I actually managed to bolt it on no problem, just put some screws through the sides into the fenders. But I didn't like it, so I cut it in half and removed a bunch from the middle so it fit right at home!



          And the hood scoops? I did more than consider them, I bought them!!! LOL... Yeah I was going to install them (that's why the one is painted black), but I never got around to it.



          In fact, I wanted to swap the entire front end, and then do the widebody conversion like the B22. Oh geez, I'm terrible

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
            I actually managed to bolt it on no problem, just put some screws through the sides into the fenders. But I didn't like it, so I cut it in half and removed a bunch from the middle so it fit right at home!
            Wow. Don't take it the wrong way, but my first reaction to that picture was "ouch". It conjures up visions of collision or some other unfortunate thing on a car; you know when body panels are scattered on the street after a collision.
            That's interesting how everything else seem to fit just right. But what happened to the Corolla's bumper beam (I mean the actual structural piece, not the cover)? I don't see one.
            Nice job smoothing the seams back together.

            Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
            And the hood scoops? I did more than consider them, I bought them!!! LOL... Yeah I was going to install them (that's why the one is painted black), but I never got around to it.
            In fact, I wanted to swap the entire front end, and then do the widebody conversion like the B22. Oh geez, I'm terrible
            Nice
            22b would've been quite a project. On the other hand, with 22b's very wide fenders, you may not need to cut the front bumper cover in half to remove the middle part. Too bad you didn't go ahead with it. Gold wheels would be proper given your username

            Front grille doesn't look North American. Iceland?
            Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

            3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

            Comment


            • #36
              When in doubt... procrastinate

              Not sure about the Mazda nagare option, so time to work on the other side. One lesson I learnt the hard way, is that putting painters tape on the flowing sheet metal is a great idea. I didn't do so for the other side, and ended up using permanent marker to fine trim the shape and mark locations to drill. Turned out to be very difficult to remove the marker.


              The left edge is aligned against a notch cut into the shroud. Here's the closeup:


              The other end aligns with a notch cut into the shroud around the Mini D2S' opening:
              Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

              3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

              Comment


              • #37
                An example of something I did before I learnt the lesson (of never putting permanent marker directly on the metal piece):


                This is for the piece that modifies the flow of the metal piece around the e55r. The sides are bent bit by bit like so:


                Which results in a somewhat curved panel:
                Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

                3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

                Comment


                • #38
                  Yet another stray light harvester?

                  This small piece also serves as yet another stray light harvester out of the e55r; light going upwards get deflected down by the large sheet metal, and bounced back & forth by this small piece out. It makes this small piece reflect a much softer light than what would've leaked directly from the e55r from that angle.


                  It looks something like this:


                  , which is much softer than this:


                  I probably need to do something about the reflection of the e55r on the chrome shroud right underneath it & to its side; maybe something non reflective. Or maybe some acrylic light harvester again, like the half arrow shape on the upper and inner (i.e. left side) areas of this A3:
                  Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

                  3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    This project really is EPIC! You're doing all the stuff I wish I had the smarts to pull off. Custom head lights with sweeping designs and cool light features! Just don't "procrastinate" too much haha, I love seeing pics.

                    Originally posted by satrya View Post
                    Wow. Don't take it the wrong way, but my first reaction to that picture was "ouch". It conjures up visions of collision or some other unfortunate thing on a car; you know when body panels are scattered on the street after a collision.
                    That's interesting how everything else seem to fit just right. But what happened to the Corolla's bumper beam (I mean the actual structural piece, not the cover)? I don't see one.
                    Nice job smoothing the seams back together.


                    Nice
                    22b would've been quite a project. On the other hand, with 22b's very wide fenders, you may not need to cut the front bumper cover in half to remove the middle part. Too bad you didn't go ahead with it. Gold wheels would be proper given your username

                    Front grille doesn't look North American. Iceland?
                    The front grille is in fact JDM, and the lights are JDM/euro.

                    My car was originally beige colored, hence the username (which I picked in 2005 lol). But you are right, if I had done the wide thing, I wouldn't have needed to cut the bumper in half. As I said earlier, I had bolted it on just regularly without cutting it. But it just looked to buldgy on the bottom. That cut-in-half picture that makes you shudder just shows how much I removed. Maybe this one looks better lol.



                    Oh, and I did have to remove the crash bar, or rather, I didn't feel like modifying the bumper to fit it. That would have required removing the fog light mounting areas behind the doors, and I wasn't sure I wouldn't want the fog lights eventually.

                    I decided not to do the 22b widebody and all because it just seemed wrong.... it is a Corolla after all haha.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
                      This project really is EPIC! ....
                      ... Just don't "procrastinate" too much haha, I love seeing pics.
                      Thank you. I run the risk of making it look too strange. So every decision warrants procrastination. I've changed my approach many times during these procrastination sessions before going with a particular approach.

                      Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
                      The front grille is in fact JDM, and the lights are JDM/euro.

                      My car was originally beige colored, hence the username (which I picked in 2005 lol). But you are right, if I had done the wide thing, I wouldn't have needed to cut the bumper in half. As I said earlier, I had bolted it on just regularly without cutting it. But it just looked to buldgy on the bottom. That cut-in-half picture that makes you shudder just shows how much I removed. Maybe this one looks better lol.
                      Yes, the newer picture looks more comforting. Bolting them together; how well does it hold the bumper cover together? I know front lips that come in 2 pieces just like that, and are joined at the center with a pair of bolts, but I didn't think a bolts could hold up whole bumper cover.

                      Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
                      Oh, and I did have to remove the crash bar, or rather, I didn't feel like modifying the bumper to fit it. That would have required removing the fog light mounting areas behind the doors, and I wasn't sure I wouldn't want the fog lights eventually.
                      Does that mean you ran without a functional bumper beam? That would be scary.

                      Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
                      I decided not to do the 22b widebody and all because it just seemed wrong.... it is a Corolla after all haha.
                      There will be those that insist any minor deviation from OEM is blasphemy, and those that believe OEM is merely a starting point. As an engineer, I know that while good design tend to be better than many mods, a product will be designed to meet a set of specifications under many constraints. That means it won't fit everyone's requirements/needs/preferences to a T. Imagine a 22b with the fuel economy of a corolla.
                      Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

                      3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        More evisceration: LED diffusers

                        The LED diffuser comes with a black plastic frame that has a built-in upper and lower cutoff. The leftmost shows the frame viewed from the "Front". The middle shows the back of the frame. The rightmost is after trimming the cutoff shields.


                        Trimming allows the frame to fit the circular grooves previously made by a hole cutter. Here are some test fit pics:


                        Both sides with the frames trimmed:


                        The grooves made by the hole cutter were set so that the diffusers and LEDs have the optimal distance. I did this by holding a diffuser and a LED and changing the distance between them; observing the apparent output.
                        Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

                        3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Test pic

                          A few test pictures to see how the LEDs are diffused.


                          Fast shutter speed to better distinguish the relative brightness. 200 ISO, 1/4000 exposure speed. Reflection off the e55r still looks like i breaks the "eyeball" shape.
                          Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

                          3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            I like the little lenses they look pretty sweet!

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by TrakTuned View Post
                              I like the little lenses they look pretty sweet!
                              Thanks. They seem to do a great job enlarging the footprint of the LED's output, without noticeable loss in intensity.
                              Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

                              3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Oh wow, this build is pretty sweet! I love the bugeye gen. Keep up the good work!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X